+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Slam1523 View Post
    Will Delivery Of Current Topicals Solve Hairloss?
    Nope.

If the current treatments don't do shit when taken orally, they're not going to be much better topically. So far only Fin, Dut and Minox have any effect and those really only affect DHT (except for Minox).

You'd still have to address the following issues:
    • PGD2 Inhibition
    • DKK1 Inhibition
    • Arachidonic acid Inhibition
    • Upregulation of PGE2
    • Upregulation of CD200-rich progenitor cells
    • Upregulation of CD34 progenitor cells

All those things need to be in check for hair loss to be reversed. DHT inhibition is only a small part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    Nope.

If the current treatments don't do shit when taken orally, they're not going to be much better topically. So far only Fin, Dut and Minox have any effect and those really only affect DHT (except for Minox).

You'd still have to address the following issues:
    • PGD2 Inhibition
    • DKK1 Inhibition
    • Arachidonic acid Inhibition
    • Upregulation of PGE2
    • Upregulation of CD200-rich progenitor cells
    • Upregulation of CD34 progenitor cells

All those things need to be in check for hair loss to be reversed. DHT inhibition is only a small part of the problem.
    Current treatments do a lot orally as far as halt hair loss. They just have very real, horrific side affects in many of us. A topical version could end the battle for a lot of people, combined with a transplant.

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheLoss View Post
    Current treatments do a lot orally as far as halt hair loss. They just have very real, horrific side affects in many of us. A topical version could end the battle for a lot of people, combined with a transplant.
    Sure, but that's still not good enough for higher norwoods. As great as it would be for guys like me (NW3), I'm still thinking of NW4+ guys.

I guess my question was more or less centered around CB, and RU... If something were found for those two solutions with a more efficient form of delivery would that be the answer? I have used minox, and finasteride for almost 10 years, and my hair loss has done anything but halt. My hope in asking this was to learn more about the expectations many people here familiar with the solutions I mentioned above have, and what we could potentially expect from them in comparison to what's currently available. Thanks for everyone's response thus far!

Quote Originally Posted by Slam1523 View Post
    While this may be a dumb question to many, I keep reading how once a better delivery system for topicals is found hair loss may no longer be an issue. Ive read both the RU, and CB threads just to get an idea of what they are exactly. Does anyone that has done more research than I have been able to do know just how effective each one is in comparison with whats available now with regards to finasteride and minox? Is there a topical that could potentially halt, but also provide enough regrowth for say a Norwood 3 a full head of hair or is that merely wishful thinking at this point? Again I apologize to those that consider this a dumb question, but i'm just curious after reading the delivery threads of the topicals mentioned above what exactly is realistic to expect.
    I started a thread some months ago bringing up the idea of direct intrafollicular delivery.

A couple of thoughts:

I think oral delivery will never be the answer since the effects are systemic. Only hair follicles are to be affected, and not even all of them only a portion of head hairs.

Current topical delivery looks completely inconsistent to me right now. Minoxidil or minoxidil-like substances rub onto the scalp, with no control over where it gets, absorbed amount, etc.

Ionthophoresis seems not to be an option. Replicel mentioned ultrasound as a method of delivery though.

The best approach I envision is to get directly into the follicle. Probing of DP should be investigated.

Anything done topically that works well is the answer to atleast keeping hair and avoiding the sides both the known and unknown. That other article on low systemic absorbtion might allow more effective delivery of chemicals that already exist like spiro. Lets put it this way it may not be the cure but its a hell of a lot better than what we have now. Just the option to safely stop MPB without all the sides from oral fin would be a big advance.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Anything done topically that works well is the answer to atleast keeping hair and avoiding the sides both the known and unknown. That other article on low systemic absorbtion might allow more effective delivery of chemicals that already exist like spiro. Lets put it this way it may not be the cure but its a hell of a lot better than what we have now. Just the option to safely stop MPB without all the sides from oral fin would be a big advance.
    Halting hairloss would essentially be a cure. It would mean anyone who has signs of thinning will never lose their hair [I.E Future generations]. Unfortunately it would be irrelevant to those who have already progressed down the norwood scale.

I've been on Fin for years [No Sides] & to be honest it doesn't really slow hairloss at all [At least in my case]. If we found something that did, it would be a big leap forward.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22859235

Topical JAK inhibitors have been at least worked on since 2012. So maybe someone that knows more can do more research.

Even NW4+ people would benefit from such treatments because even if you're NW5, there's still some ground for you to lose before becoming NW7. Also, some regrowth on DHT inhibitors is not unheard of if i'm not mistaken. People have gained density through Minox+Ru or Minox+Fin multiple times. So that might become an even greater factor with better delivery/higher dosages because of no feared systematic side effects.