+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

great finds swooping, which further supports the idea of using growth factors for hair regeneration. if only wnt and shh were safe. anyhow the jak inhibitor christiano used in her experiment was then compared on normal skin mice with shh. they found that the JAK inhibitor had the same effect as anagen promoter. another patent claims that jak inhibition can be used to activate epidermal stem cells.

good finds swooping. this further supports the idea that using growth factors can help restore the hair. gosh if only wnts and shh were safe. any how the jak inhibitor that christiano used was tested on NORMAL SKIN mice and the effect was comparable to that of the SHH as anagen promoter. another patent was found(not by christiano) and it claims the used of jak inhibitors to activate epidermal stem cells.

Quote Originally Posted by hgs1989 View Post
    another patent was found(not by christiano) and it claims the used of jak inhibitors to activate epidermal stem cells.
    because of this christiano might not be able to commercialize a topical for that purpose.

yikes yeah, it's all so complicated. I think that by the time they figure out what all the chemicals are doing, they will probably have made brand new follicles in the lab. It's really not worth figuring out the minutia of the molecular reactions when you can just skip all that and go in with replacement organs Areata does seem to be a much more straightforward disease, but hopefully we will get a drug in the near future that is better than propecia. I don't know if researchers are really focused on untangling these pathways at this point, I think most of them are more excited about stem cell research.

Quote Originally Posted by hgs1989 View Post
    great finds swooping, which further supports the idea of using growth factors for hair regeneration. if only wnt and shh were safe. anyhow the jak inhibitor christiano used in her experiment was then compared on normal skin mice with shh. they found that the JAK inhibitor had the same effect as anagen promoter. another patent claims that jak inhibition can be used to activate epidermal stem cells.
    Definitely. The problem with most agents is safety indeed. You don't want to end up with cancer or something like that. It's great for alopecia areata that they can basically cure it for now though. I doubt alone it will be a cure though I know that pretty certain. HOWEVER, there is definitely a interesting overlap and similarity between AA and AGA in pathways. I posted some days ago that benoxaprofen induced completee reversal in some people who suffered from AGA. It was very specific in where the patients all developed photosensivity too.

Don't be fooled by the news websites btw, alopecia areata already had pretty much treatment options although they weren't 100% successful. Look for example on this paper released this week; http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=...rttext&tlng=en

Methotrexate is pretty succesfull in treating it too, and so are corticosteroids etc.

Interestingly sometimes such medications in rare cases can help for AGA too. Again benoxaprofen for example. Or perhaps someone remembers the guy over at HLH who claimed to regrow his hairline with sulfasalazine. Just somewhat like benoxaproven it inhibits prostaglandins, and leukotrienes.

What about Methotrexate? Yes Methotrexate in a rare case regrew a bit in a patient too ; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24153140. I doubt their theory is correct though.

I'm mostly baffled by the benoxaprofen case really. Reversing AGA totally in a guy who has been bald for over 20 years is just awesome; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...498062/?page=1.

I think in these cases the vitamin D receptor somewhat has something to do with it. But this is a random guess lol, a paper about it this week; http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/me.2014-1043

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...nticated=false.

Quote Originally Posted by Swooping View Post
    I'm mostly baffled by the benoxaprofen case really. Reversing AGA totally in a guy who has been bald for over 20 years is just awesome; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...498062/?page=1.
    Proof that follicles never die, they just shrink. Also further proof that anti-inflammatory drugs work. BIG clue here.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried benoxaprofen as a topical solution.

Great thread, guys.

I don't personally have time to digest all the science but it's really promising to see this much development of a topic in just 1 day. I really believe something will come out of these topics. I also believe that a sucesscul growth combo will start to show itself in a couple of weeks, not 3-4 months as most BS snake oil products claim.

Someone should make a somekind of list of all these drugs that have potential for a cure So it would be easier to keep up with all this. And volunteers could pick up a drug to try out from the list and report back if they work.

Good job guys tho! Keep it coming, you'll soon figure this out and save us all :'D

Quote Originally Posted by hairbackpls View Post
    Someone should make a list (thread) of all these drugs that have potential for a cure, so volunteers could try those out and report back how they work.
    Tofacitinib
    Ruxolitinib

Those are the only two that have been used for Alopecia Areata but NOT on AGA (male pattern baldness).

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    Proof that follicles never die, they just shrink. Also further proof that anti-inflammatory drugs work. BIG clue here.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried benoxaprofen as a topical solution.
    Based off the picture above, it seems the hair follicles don't die with cases such as AA. But what about hair follicles that were affect by AGA? Is it possible those hair follicles die?