Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Feedback on SMP for donor scar

I am a total newb when it comes to SMP. The idea seems nuts to me for very bald men, but I don't really understand much about the procedure. Anyway, I am having a little bit of hairline work done with Dr Shapiro later this year and I'm considering having SMP for my donor scar since they're already shaving the back of my head to do the FUE.

Is there a consensus on this? Does it work well long term? Are there health risks? My scar is not terrible right now but I'd like to have the option of buzzing my hair shorter than a 3 or 4, which is my current limit to hide the scar. I am told this is a "semi permanent" ink, whatever that means.

Below is a picture of a deck I built and then a picture a few years later. My wife can’t understand it, why doesn’t it look the same. A couple of decks boards needed to be replaced as they warped over time and it’s impossible to get the color to match using an acrylic stain. This is time in action.

Skin works the same way and it loses it’s integrity over time, so long turn it is not a solution at least in my opinion. If it disappears too fast then the cause for concern may be greater than having wasted the money as that ink has quickly entered the lymph system. Anyone that thinks that quickly disappearing ink is better then deeply embedded ink should probably do some research and I’m not for deeply embedded ink either.

If you research some of the SMP only forums swollen lumps and lymph nodes after the procedure occur enough that it has been posted. On some of the other forums a few have come forward with very blue heads. I’m really not sure why it’s only a trickle when I believe behind the scenes it’s a tsunami. Maybe guys are just embarrassed………..much harder to talk about it when you are younger I guess. They just made a mistake by listening to the wrong people and all part of learning the hard way.

If I thought it was viable and without health risks I would be the first to do it as using concealer becomes a pain but a necessary evil. If you still believe you would like to try it and health is not a concern then just do a small test patch.

This is time in action and the skin is exactly the same.

I'm also interested in some info/feedback on smp on scar.

I've performed true temporary SMP (I use Milena Lardi's brand) on a number of strip scars recently. Overall we are seeing nice results. However, scars can be very unpredictable, especially if not completely flat and white. If a scar is red/pink, concave, or raised, SMP is not appropriate. I'll be posting pictures soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Diego View Post
    I'm also interested in some info/feedback on smp on scar.
    To be honest it isn't great. Due to the scar tissue the ink will bleed to some degree & it is distinguishable from the other hair [If shaved].

To be honest it would be more cost effective & look much better in the long run to FUE into the scar.

Ive seen some great results in scars by Matt out of New York. He formerly worked for HIS Hair clinic but now operates under Headstrong NY to the best of my knowledge. Hes the best in US in my opinion based on what ive seen.

I've looked into SMP for the past 4 months...im getting closer to taking the plunge, im glad you started this thread!

_Sal

The SMP work on scars most especially in my opinion looks terrible and can’t compare to actually working on the scar tissue itself and having hairs placed back into it. It’s a better long term solution with a more pleasing result in my opinion.

What I truly do not understand are some of the repair patients that have had this done and were not happy with the results. They might post a few lines on their own or when pressed with questions otherwise it seems like they really don’t want to speak much about it. It’s almost like they are beaten men. Maybe I am misinterpreting it but this is what I am sensing. Would help others if they would speak more about it but I guess I can understand.............it's almost like they got me again.

Do it right even if it takes longer and costs more using real hair.

Topcat

I get what you're saying, but i mean ive seen some awesome results. look at the attached photo, i took that off of headstrong ny website, the guy matt i was talking about.

That looks like it did the job, are you saying it wont be like that long term? I dont have a scar so im just playing devils advocate, but i am thinking of it for hte top of my head.

_sal
    Attached Images

tb29

It would really help to see a clear up close picture. The picture itself is a red flag. Reason being is that anyone can take a great photo if they really put in just a modest amount of effort ,so one would need to ask why was so little effort put forth if the result was so spectacular. You will see some clinics do this regularly. When patients themselves can actually take better pictures then some clinics it's telling you something.

OT topic............one clinic even claimed there were resizing issues with a particular forum. Once again a red flag as it tells me they are not willing to put in the effort. If they do not put in the effort for something as simple as a picture what else becomes too much effort for them.

In my opinion one does need to be very critical and almost shoot first and ask questions later as it keeps the self safe which is paramount.

I think in this situation almost anything is an improvement, with that I would agree. But long term I think the patient will be worse off and that’s the problem. Just like an ill advised hair transplant. The patient might be riding high for a few years only to reach an even bigger low somewhere down the line. So an approach that helps to avoid that would be the better option in my opinion. Laser those scars and move some hair around using fue…………..scalp or beard body.

Even without the use of beard hair I think someone skilled with a small hand punch could move hairs around and even it all out but of course work on the scar tissue first making it as flat as possible and color of skin if necessary.

It takes a lot longer……………maybe years if doing small sessions………………….but do it right in my opinion and stop digging more holes.

Quote Originally Posted by thebottomend29 View Post
    Ive seen some great results in scars by Matt out of New York. He formerly worked for HIS Hair clinic but now operates under Headstrong NY to the best of my knowledge. Hes the best in US in my opinion based on what ive seen.

I've looked into SMP for the past 4 months...im getting closer to taking the plunge, im glad you started this thread!

_Sal
    I just had my first treatment with Matt Iulo yesterday at Headstrong. He is a great guy.