+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Why men are so obsessed about baldness

It surprises me because for me, the Bald look is actually quite cool if you have a decent looking face, that is, if your cheekbones show and you have an ante-face, that is your nose and chin stick out in profile view. Combine this, with some facial hair to take attention away from your bald head, and it looks very good. So, what is the fuss? And if you are also tall, then baldness shouldn't matter at all, cuz tall and bald = badass. Just look at Dwayne Johnson.

so what about the millions of people who do not fit that criteria
    *face palm*

Quote Originally Posted by joel203 View Post
    so what about the millions of people who do not fit that criteria
    *face palm*
    If you look good, chances are that you would still look good bald, and if you look ugly bald, chances are you'll still look ugly with hair. So hair does not matter much IMO. We men are not like women who have to showcase their youth and fertility with long and lustrious hair.

Quote Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    If you look good, chances are that you would still look good bald, and if you look ugly bald, chances are you'll still look ugly with hair. So hair does not matter much IMO. We men are not like women who have to showcase their youth and fertility with long and lustrious hair.
    Not everyone is as fortunate as you to have the perfect shaped head, tall height, and handsome face.

For example me:
    -I started losing hair at 15.
    - Forehead is huge looking, and there is nothing I can do about that.
    - Head shape is not great like Vin diesel's or The Rocks.
    - Not a slim nose.
    - Not tall.

I dont find bald women that attractive so I mean what reasoning is there that a woman cant think the same of men? I mean just because most men lose their hair doesnt change that fact. I think men do like to show youth and fertility with their hair in a similar way. I could say acne or any number of cosmetic issues dont really matter because women get them too so they probably dont care. The facts still remain as they are that they do matter
    I would say you can be bald and certainly get plenty of girls its not a death sentence because personality matters way more

And if you are also tall, then baldness shouldn't matter at all, cuz tall and bald = badass. Just look at Dwayne Johnson.
    YUP! If the rock can do it, then so can we. Lets shave it guys.

Well I have seen some women who look stunning bald. Secondly, men are in a much better position to pull off bald due to thicker necks, more prominent cheekbones, prominent brow ridges and sharper features overall, not to mention facial hair which take attention away from a bald head. Lastly, youth does not matter as much for men because we can reproduce even at 70!

A buzz cut certainly looks better than a thinning/receding head of hair.

Baldozer,
    It depends from culture to another. I remember two weeks ago I spoke with Dr. Feller and he agreed with me to be bald is at its worse for Asians its like a taboo. Society put pressures on us to conform to certain things. Among them is having some hair : ). However, other conformity that might hurt others or anything that is bad we should not be deceived and we should remain compassionate !!!!

It's true that some men do look good bald, and can really pull off the look, especially as they get older (Bruce Willis, for example). I think the reason that men are obsessed with baldness is two-fold: firstly, it is like a slow torture - it gets a little worse each day, and you can torment yourself relentlessly, if you have that kind of disposition (counting hairs in the tub, measuring how far your hair has receded and so on and so forth), and it isn't like gaining weight, where you know that if you wished to you could improve your diet and get more exercise - with baldness, once it's gone, it's gone. It eats away at you slowly. Secondly, and I think more importantly, the overriding thing about baldness is how 'unfair' it is - it is genetically quite arbitrary, so some guys start losing their hair at 15, while others remain totally unaffected until the day they die in their 80s or 90s. So it is quite legitimate to ask "why me? Why not that old guy instead?".