+ Reply to Thread

Default Am i balding at 20?

I've always had a longer hair style most of my life until recently i decided to get a shorter cut and that's when i noticed my higher hairline. I'm not sure if i'm starting to bald or what but i am stressing over it.

Edit--I've always had really oily and thin hair, i generally have to shampoo once a day or it looks like i haven't for a while. I generally use head and shoulders shampoo. Could that be a factor?

If i am balding, what can i do to prevent it from getting worse? Or is there anyway i can lower my hairline without surgery?

Link to pictures
    http://imgur.com/a/lzD6Q

About background, my dads was fine, he has a higher hairline and i asked him about it and he said he didn't before and now he does due to using a hair dryer alot, both of my grandfathers are deceased so i can't comment on them.

No atm, you are not balding. The reason for your hairline being higher is that it has become a mature hairline, which is basically where the juvenile temples you had when you were a kid have receded into an adult position. This does not mean you're balding but rather that after puberty, your DHT levels changed, causing the most sensitive hair follicles at the front to thin and for the hairline to move into an adult position. Don't worry, this is normal and most men experience it. Family history is usually a huge indicator of MPB, but it isn't always. Although with limited hair loss history, it might be unlikely you're balding. So there's no need to worry whatsoever, just if you notice more thinning in areas, then perhaps look into your options. It may also help to understand and research the science behind MPB and treatments you could use, but all of this is hypothetical, as imo, you're not in a balding position atm. But it is rather to be prepared just in case. Although just in case seems a long way away, as you have no balding atm! So to answer your question, no you're not balding, although you might want to research balding and treatments such as propecia, minoxidil or other DHT blockers, you're hair is absolutely fine and I can assure you there is no need to worry, as your hair isn't even nw2 yet, and nw2 isn't even balding. So don't worry, you have great hair!

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kapro91 View Post
    I generally use head and shoulders shampoo. Could that be a factor?

If i am balding, what can i do to prevent it from getting worse? Or is there anyway i can lower my hairline without surgery?

About background, my dads was fine, he has a higher hairline and i asked him about it and he said he didn't before and now he does due to using a hair dryer alot.
    A brand of shampoo or blow drying will not cause hair loss. When I was 16, I rebuilt the engine in my car. I cleaned the carburetor in a bucket filled with caustic carburetor cleaner using my bare hands. Dumb dumb. Burned the $hit out of my hands but didn't kill the hair on the back of my hand. Here at Dr. Cole's clinic, we had a patient come in for repair who had a terrible low hairline placed by another clinic. He tried to kill the transplanted hair by having it lasered twice without success. It's actually difficult to kill hair with the possible exception of traction alopecia mostly women experience when they pull their hair back too tight. That can cause permanent hair loss.

Current research indicates the worst things for your hair are cigarette smoking, stress, and sunburn and to a lesser degree, hair straighteners and dyes. Drinking coffee is good for your hair. Doing the right and wrong things for you hair will make it only slightly better or slightly worse. Propecia (finasteride) is currently the most effective (approved) hair loss treatment. When the teenage years are over, a young man's hair will (even without inherited MPB) develop an adult hairline. Keep your eye on miniaturization. We have a patient who had a hairline like the late Ronald Reagan. He had no recession at all but his hair thinned on top to the point of Norwood class 6.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 07:44 PM.