+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Finasteride for hair loss around ears and at the nape of the neck.

Does it work?

I've been pretty rapidly losing hair over the past month or so and have a physical on Friday. I plan on asking for a prescription to Finasteride despite the potential of severe side effects -- my fingers are just crossed that I don't expect anything too terrible.

Thing is, I don't want to bother taking Finasteride if it won't treat my specific hair loss. I'm also having some hair line recession and a bit of thinning on my crown, but it's not TOO bad, I just want to get it under control before it does.

Anybody have experience with this? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinningHairFML View Post
    Does it work?

I've been pretty rapidly losing hair over the past month or so and have a physical on Friday. I plan on asking for a prescription to Finasteride despite the potential of severe side effects -- my fingers are just crossed that I don't expect anything too terrible.

Thing is, I don't want to bother taking Finasteride if it won't treat my specific hair loss. I'm also having some hair line recession and a bit of thinning on my crown, but it's not TOO bad, I just want to get it under control before it does.

Anybody have experience with this? Thanks.

Yeah, I have it too. It's actually one of the more aggressive types of hairloss. It's called retrograde alopecia. It starts with the thinning around the temples, ears and nape of the neck. Then the crown starts to thin. Next thing you know, you're entire scalp except for the back of your head is losing its hair. It SUCKS!!! Start meds now or prepare to get a lot worse. Unlucky you my balding friend.

Hmm. You've more or less described my entire balding experience, all of which has happened in the last 2 years. Propecia hasn't done anything for me. What has worked for you? Anything?

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyScrewed View Post
    Hmm. You've more or less described my entire balding experience, all of which has happened in the last 2 years. Propecia hasn't done anything for me. What has worked for you? Anything?
    How long were you on propecia? And how do you know it hasn't done anything? What was your regimen?

Oh wow that's what i got, i didn't know there was a name for it. Thanks for that cichlidfort. You look like your fit, so how has propecia effected you? Im afraid its going to be alot harder gaining muscle when im on propecia.

Quote Originally Posted by goldnt View Post
    Oh wow that's what i got, i didn't know there was a name for it. Thanks for that cichlidfort. You look like your fit, so how has propecia effected you? Im afraid its going to be alot harder gaining muscle when im on propecia.
    I haven't been on the drug long enough to shed (no pun) my opinion. No you shouldn't have trouble gaining muscle on it.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=114991431

Thing is, I don't feel like I'm losing INSANE amounts of hair a day. More than normal, obviously, but I'd guess 150 to MAYBE 175 hairs a day. I counted for a few days about a month ago and it was about 140 daily. Waking up in the morning my hair all around feels flat/thin, except the top of my head where it feels like I'm not really losing hair there -- yet.

Will Finasteride even work though? That's the main thing I'm wondering. I don't want to take a potentially dangerous drug for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinningHairFML View Post
    Thing is, I don't feel like I'm losing INSANE amounts of hair a day. More than normal, obviously, but I'd guess 150 to MAYBE 175 hairs a day. I counted for a few days about a month ago and it was about 140 daily. Waking up in the morning my hair all around feels flat/thin, except the top of my head where it feels like I'm not really losing hair there -- yet.

Will Finasteride even work though? That's the main thing I'm wondering. I don't want to take a potentially dangerous drug for nothing.
    Yes fin will work. I would do the big 3

I have retrograde alopecia too. I have been on fin for the past year and I think that it hasn't got any worse. It is still bad through... Having this kind of aggressive hair loss sucks just 2 much . But when they can finally clone hair we still have some good hair then luckily(despite the higher price we will have 2 pay).

I'll also add I've been using Nizoral 1% EOD for 3 weeks. If anything, I feel like I've lost more hair a day.

I wash my hair with it first and rinse, and then wash again + massage and let it sit for five minutes like recommended. I still have scalp itch, and I'm still losing hair. Doesn't seem to be doing anything for me.