Finasteride for hair loss around ears and at the nape of the neck.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThinningHairFML
    • Aug 2014

Finasteride for hair loss around ears and at the nape of the neck.

Does it work?

I've been pretty rapidly losing hair over the past month or so and have a physical on Friday. I plan on asking for a prescription to Finasteride despite the potential of severe side effects -- my fingers are just crossed that I don't expect anything too terrible.

Thing is, I don't want to bother taking Finasteride if it won't treat my specific hair loss. I'm also having some hair line recession and a bit of thinning on my crown, but it's not TOO bad, I just want to get it under control before it does.

Anybody have experience with this? Thanks.
  • cichlidfort
    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by ThinningHairFML
    Does it work?

I've been pretty rapidly losing hair over the past month or so and have a physical on Friday. I plan on asking for a prescription to Finasteride despite the potential of severe side effects -- my fingers are just crossed that I don't expect anything too terrible.

Thing is, I don't want to bother taking Finasteride if it won't treat my specific hair loss. I'm also having some hair line recession and a bit of thinning on my crown, but it's not TOO bad, I just want to get it under control before it does.

Anybody have experience with this? Thanks.

Yeah, I have it too. It's actually one of the more aggressive types of hairloss. It's called retrograde alopecia. It starts with the thinning around the temples, ears and nape of the neck. Then the crown starts to thin. Next thing you know, you're entire scalp except for the back of your head is losing its hair. It SUCKS!!! Start meds now or prepare to get a lot worse. Unlucky you my balding friend.

Comment

• TotallyScrewed
      • Jun 2014

Hmm. You've more or less described my entire balding experience, all of which has happened in the last 2 years. Propecia hasn't done anything for me. What has worked for you? Anything?

Comment

• cichlidfort
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by TotallyScrewed
        Hmm. You've more or less described my entire balding experience, all of which has happened in the last 2 years. Propecia hasn't done anything for me. What has worked for you? Anything?
        How long were you on propecia? And how do you know it hasn't done anything? What was your regimen?

Comment

• goldnt
          • Jan 2014

Oh wow that's what i got, i didn't know there was a name for it. Thanks for that cichlidfort. You look like your fit, so how has propecia effected you? Im afraid its going to be alot harder gaining muscle when im on propecia.

Comment

• cichlidfort
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by goldnt
            Oh wow that's what i got, i didn't know there was a name for it. Thanks for that cichlidfort. You look like your fit, so how has propecia effected you? Im afraid its going to be alot harder gaining muscle when im on propecia.
            I haven't been on the drug long enough to shed (no pun) my opinion. No you shouldn't have trouble gaining muscle on it.

Comment

• ThinningHairFML
              • Aug 2014

Thing is, I don't feel like I'm losing INSANE amounts of hair a day. More than normal, obviously, but I'd guess 150 to MAYBE 175 hairs a day. I counted for a few days about a month ago and it was about 140 daily. Waking up in the morning my hair all around feels flat/thin, except the top of my head where it feels like I'm not really losing hair there -- yet.

Will Finasteride even work though? That's the main thing I'm wondering. I don't want to take a potentially dangerous drug for nothing.

Comment

• cichlidfort
                • Jan 2013

Thing is, I don't feel like I'm losing INSANE amounts of hair a day. More than normal, obviously, but I'd guess 150 to MAYBE 175 hairs a day. I counted for a few days about a month ago and it was about 140 daily. Waking up in the morning my hair all around feels flat/thin, except the top of my head where it feels like I'm not really losing hair there -- yet.

Will Finasteride even work though? That's the main thing I'm wondering. I don't want to take a potentially dangerous drug for nothing.
                Yes fin will work. I would do the big 3

Comment

• 2young2bald
                  • May 2014

I have retrograde alopecia too. I have been on fin for the past year and I think that it hasn't got any worse. It is still bad through... Having this kind of aggressive hair loss sucks just 2 much . But when they can finally clone hair we still have some good hair then luckily(despite the higher price we will have 2 pay).

Comment

• ThinningHairFML
                    • Aug 2014

I'll also add I've been using Nizoral 1% EOD for 3 weeks. If anything, I feel like I've lost more hair a day.

I wash my hair with it first and rinse, and then wash again + massage and let it sit for five minutes like recommended. I still have scalp itch, and I'm still losing hair. Doesn't seem to be doing anything for me.

Comment

• ThinningHairFML
                      • Aug 2014

I was told my DHT level is 17 with a normal range of 16-79. My other bloodwork came back fine, apparently.

Asking around, it appears that my hair is really sensitive to DHT and that Finasteride wouldn't help. I don't know how true that is though.

Comment

• cichlidfort
                        • Jan 2013

I was told my DHT level is 17 with a normal range of 16-79. My other bloodwork came back fine, apparently.

Asking around, it appears that my hair is really sensitive to DHT and that Finasteride wouldn't help. I don't know how true that is though.
                        DHT sensitive hair is the REASON why we take finasteride. Don't listen to whoever told you that.

Comment

• ThinningHairFML
                          • Aug 2014

But if my DHT is already low, wouldn't lowering it even more make me more susceptible to side effects?

Comment

• cichlidfort
                            • Jan 2013

But if my DHT is already low, wouldn't lowering it even more make me more susceptible to side effects?
                            Are you currently on FIN now? If so, for how long and what's your regimen?

Comment

• ThinningHairFML
                              • Aug 2014

Not yet. Dermatologist appointment tomorrow. Doctor sent me there because I have a vitiligo spot on my neck that's been there for years and is about a quarter in size. I'm really only going to ask about my hair though.

I've been using Nizoral 1% for a month and I seem to be losing more hair than when I started.

If I do decide to start taking Finasteride, I plan on taking something minuscule. Like .125mg at first, or maybe .25mg at most. I know .125mg is almost a pointlessly small dose, but my hair loss isn't drastic at all outside of the back of my neck.

Comment

Working...