+ Reply to Thread

Default Worries/Concerns before an HT with Dr Hasson

Wondering if I could discuss some issues guys. Currently, I have a few fears that I'm having trouble getting past.

Firstly, what are my chances of the majority of grafts simply not taking. This would be the worst case scenario for me (or anyone else I guess), and it's what really scares me about FUT, because in that event, I wouldn't be able to shave my head in future due to the strip scar. I'm very concerned about this. It's hard to quantify what the chances of this would be. I've heard/seen of stories (although it was FUE) of peoples grafts just popping out because they bleed too much. I'm going to end up a Norwood 6 in future if finasteride doesn't work or I have sides etc. which is why this worries me; I would hate to have no hair on top, but have to wear it long on the sides.

Secondly, again, quantifiably, what are my likely chances of having a scar that gives me trouble e.g. the scarring expands to beyond 2mm in width? Also, what issues can the difference in hair direction make in terms of appearance. I would appreciate feedback from Dr Hasson veterans if possible.

Thirdly, given the scenario of complete medication failure, and a total loss of my own hair on top, will 8000 grafts be sufficient to cover it all. Also, how sure can surgeons be when they only give you a quick look for laxity and donor supply?

Essentially, I want to know if I'm taking as big of a risk as I feel I am, or if I should be going the more conservative option of FUE (although I'm almost certainly not going to get full coverage from FUE right?). However, when I look at the overall result photos of FUE surgery, the results are generally nowhere near as impressive when taken as a majority. H&W hair just seems more consistently sprouted, whereas FUE often ends up looking scrappy from some examples I've seen.

I dunno, sorry to ramble, but it's psychologically a difficult stage I'm at.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Under certain circumstances I would consider strip surgery. Everyone of course is different. If I were young, headed for a norwood 6 and wanted to wear my hair very short or shave after hair transplant surgery, I would have FUE where the doctor uses at least a .85 punch and removes only one or two hairs from each follicular unit in the traditional scalp donor area. I would have the doctor create the "shadow" of a hairline mixing beard hair with chest and stomach hair. This approach would be expensive and take some time to finish, but it would yield the most natural result possible in 2014. The reality is, very few of our FUE patients here at Dr. Cole's opt to shave their heads. Even if there isn't any scarring (white dots; hypopigmentation), with traditional FUE on a shaved head, the spaces between the follicular units will stand out especially if the patient has dark hair and light skin. Some patients with olive skin get the white dots that can stand out on a shaved head. With strip surgery, forget about shaving your head. Even the best scar will stand out on a shaved head. We repair a lot of strip scars here at Dr. Cole's clinic. We have one in today. He is a patient who likes to wear his hair short and the strip scar shows through his short hair cut. FUE generally allows a man to wear his hair the length of the photo on the left (longer hair) without any evidence of dotting. A shaved head is a totally other thing. A shaved head shows every little detail on the scalp.

Please think this one through carefully.

Click image for larger version

Name:	today-strip scar.jpg

Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	34455

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 08-28-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Under certain circumstances I would consider strip surgery. Everyone of course is different. If I were young, headed for a norwood 6 and wanted to wear my hair very short or shave after hair transplant surgery, I would have FUE where the doctor uses at least a .85 punch and removes only one or two hairs from each follicular unit in the traditional scalp donor area. I would have the doctor create the "shadow" of a hairline mixing beard hair with chest and stomach hair. This approach would be expensive and take some time to finish, but it would yield the most natural result possible in 2014. The reality is, very few of our FUE patients here at Dr. Cole's opt to shave their heads. Even if there isn't any scarring (white dots; hypopigmentation), with traditional FUE on a shaved head, the spaces between the follicular units will stand out especially if the patient has dark hair and light skin. Some patients with olive skin get the white dots that can stand out on a shaved head. With strip surgery, forget about shaving your head. Even the best scar will stand out on a shaved head. We repair a lot of strip scars here at Dr. Cole's clinic. We have one in today. He is a patient who likes to wear his hair short and the strip scar shows through his short hair cut. FUE generally allows a man to wear his hair the length of the photo on the left (longer hair) without any evidence of dotting. A shaved head is a totally other thing. A shaved head shows every little detail on the scalp.

Attachment 34455

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    Thanks for the reply. By shaved, I mean number 1 or 2 all over, not literally taking a razor to it. At the moment I'm between 3 going on 4 norwood, but will definitely end up six at some point if medication fails me.

Just to clarify, I'd only want it really short if I had a transplant and in future was not able to get enough coverage. If I have an FUE or FUT I'll wear it average length.

I figure with FUE it's a big gamble as to whether or not the grafts consistently take.

Thanks for your interest in our clinic. No surgery is risk free whether FUT or FUE as for the scar most of our patients will be able to wear a grade 3 in hair length after surgery for some patients who have above average donor hair density and heal very well that can get down to a grade 2 for others with lower density into the donor and don't heal so well that will be more like a grade 4 or 5.

Transplants whether FUT or FUT look better grown out to some length as the native density can't be replicated hair characteristics come into play. Slightly longer hair will give better coverage as it layers over other hairs and blocks more light to the scalp. Guys tend to wear their hair very short at the sides and back once they notice they have hair loss as it balances out the top better. If the transplant is successful and a good number of grafts can be moved many patients after surgery do not have the need to wear a grade 3 or lower.

The vast majority of our patients post op grow that hair out and could wear their hair much shorter at the sides and back but they no longer need or want to as they have hair now on top and want to wear it longer. The longer the hair on top the less the need is to wear the hair shorter at the sides.

This is not the case for all patients some want to wear their hair very short sides and back and FUT will leave a linear scar so these patients might be best to consider the option of FUE.

That said I have seen many patients who are Norwood 5's and 6's go down the FUE route and then come to us for FUT as placing 2000 grafts into the frontal area was a drop in the ocean yes they have a hairline but they weren't able to shave down to a grade 1 as the white dot scarring would have been visible. These patients learn that restoring high Norwoods becomes a numbers game and FUT in the right hands will yield more grafts that FUE.

If you heal well then your scar should be 1-2mm in width with a max of 3mm if you are unhappy with your scar we would revise that scar for you. We can't offer any guarantees with the scar but picking a clinic that has vast experience in FUT is going to give you the best chance of the scar turning out well.

The scar that Chuck has posted is not the typical scar that we see from our clinic so I thought I would post our latest result by HD video with a comb through of the donor area. We like this documentation of Video to show the donor scars as it gives a good perspective rather than just showing photos of the scar itself. If you use the link to the video you will see many other results with a comb through of not just the donor zone but the recipient area also.

HD Video Of Latest Result and Comb Through Of Donor Zone
    Last edited by garageland; 09-02-2014 at 03:08 AM.

Here is the thing with FUE that really can’t be argued. You can go in and have a very small procedure of 200-500 grafts in a way that looks natural without taking much risk. You can then decide for yourself if what you are doing………….having a hair transplant is really a good idea. You in fact take personal responsibility for your own decision and then there is no one to blame and that decision helps to keep you safe.

You might not end up with a massive change to begin with but it’s very cheap insurance as you can always go back. Having a procedure that does not turn out right can last a lifetime………..it’s not necessary to take that risk. So when we read the forums of today with all the available information yet we still see these horror cases........one does have to place some of the blame on the patient. The information is out there they just need to use it.

If you feel comfortable with the whole process of a small procedure then you can dive in a have a larger procedure either strip or fue which ever is going to help you reach your goals.

Anyone that rolls the dice with a larger procedure has to assume the risk because the risk is there.

Quote Originally Posted by rhysmorgan View Post
    Thanks for the reply. By shaved, I mean number 1 or 2 all over, not literally taking a razor to it. At the moment I'm between 3 going on 4 norwood, but will definitely end up six at some point if medication fails me.

Just to clarify, I'd only want it really short if I had a transplant and in future was not able to get enough coverage. If I have an FUE or FUT I'll wear it average length.

I figure with FUE it's a big gamble as to whether or not the grafts consistently take.

Hello Rhys,

I am in similar situation and had some additional questions for you. Please feel free to Privaye message me as I was unable to found out how to contact you further to this thread

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post

Attachment 34455

You're right. If you cut it short after a FUE, the spaces between follicles will become obvious.

FUE in the RIGHT HANDS is better than FUT in every single way (excluding price).

This is not even debatable anymore.

Feel free to email me
    Last edited by Winston; 10-24-2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Please refer to our posting policies.

Default Question about H/W

Hi David,

This might seem off-topic in relation to Rhys' post in this thread, but I was under the impression that Hasson and Wong recently got an ARTAS System. Granted, I don't know if it is possible for use in Rhys' case, but wouldn't that take care of any potential scarring?