+ Reply to Thread

Default How long after the transplant will the donor hair fall out?

Hello all,

I am sure this has been answered in the past, but after running some searches I could not find the answers so I was hoping for some insight.

I had my transplant 20 days ago and all is good so far. I have healed very well and except for a pimple here and there the receipt area looks good.

I have not lost the transplanted hair as of yet or at least most of it (I may have shed some that I am not aware of). When can I expect this to fall out? The reason I ask is I know I have read other posts that say it may cause more issues with ingrown hairs or new hair not growing if the transplanted hair does not fall out. Is this the case and if so is there a point where I should try and and remove them with a tweezer if they do not fall out?

Thanks,

I'd say more than half of mine fell out gradually over the 1 to 2 month mark. Then at month 3 I still had some there, and I noticed they weren't growing, so I just pulled them out. They should come out very easily. Before you pull them out, make sure they aren't growing and ARE NOT native hair(I knew mine weren't native because the area I tweezed was bald before the procedure). You can tell they aren't growing because they won't get any longer with the rest of your hair and they just look like beard stubble(at least mine did)

In my opinion, I would say after 2.5 months if there are transplanted hairs that are just sitting there, and aren't growing, just pull them out. There was a study showing that the grafts are permanent after 10 days, so at 2.5 months, there's really no risk in losing a graft.

tercex11,

Have you removed all of the crusts? If so, and the graft hair remained, that is exceptional.

On average, the grafts shed approximately 2-4 weeks following the procedure.

So you are right at the mid-point when most individuals shed the graft hair.

Congrats and wish you a great result...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Great question tercex11 and thanks for the replies, thanksfor sharing!!!!!
    Today was my 10th day after the procedure at Dr. Feller. I just got the staples removed today at Feller medical.
    I can't wait but I am going to calm down and busy myself with other things!! : )

Tercex11 look for Dr. feller video about hair shock is very interesting!

Am718, now that the staples are out you will sleep much better. How many grafts did you get?

Hey Tercex11, thanks for accepting and adding me to your friends list : ) I got over 2000 grafts I asked Dr. Feller I wasn't sure. He mentioned I got about 2,500 he added extra for me! Today is the 13th day after my hair transplant procedure I still feel and have sensation in the back of my head at the donor area. However, it's nothing compared to how grateful I feel and the hope that I have!!!