+ Reply to Thread

Default Mature hairline or balding!?????

HELLO,

I am 26 years old.
    my hair problems have not been new!
    i first noticed my hair falling down back in 2009 and i was extremely worried about it and i thot i would lose my hair before i finish college! a year pass and i am still losing hair diffusely but surprisingly they look the same and nobody has pointed at my hair yet!
    i went to doctor too he said its pre MPB. SO he prescribed my rogaine 2.5 % which is a milder one than the standard. i kept using it for months! dint seem to have any benefit so i stopped using it! what it gave me was a dry scalp. my scalp became very dry after using rogaine! you can say lots and lots and lots of dandruff!! and that increased my problem of hair loss!! i used to loseee lots and lots of hair during shower and sometimes even while touching them few would fall off! but i did used to notice new hair near my hairline and used to look at them months and months after. the new hair actully used to develop in big thick hair strands!
    years passs again! dandruff and hairloss!!! so much dry scalp that if i put oil the mixture of dry scalp and oil would make a kinda paste like material and would not go on washing my head and if i dint put oil my head used to be so dry that it would itch a lot! went to doctor he prescibed me coal tar shampoo.. that helped a bit with my dandruff for sometime and it used to be back again! you can control dandruff but you cant remove it completely !! became reality of my life!!

i have been stressing out about my hair from 6 years now but they kinda still look the same to the world coz i have always did a hairstyle which covers my hairline and i have a very big forehead!( pictures are posted )

present date!!
    still worried about my hair!
    diffuse hair loss everyday during shampoo and normally
    lots of dandruff!!
    one side of hairline has started to round up more than the other!
    i used to use gel for styling my hair, now i keep them dry so that they look kinda fuller

top of the head still kinda the same!!

i have uploaded pics with dates on them!

p.s my dad is totally bald and was bald at a very young age! i am 26 and i have beaten him in the hair race lol

what are your views about my hair? am i gonna be bald? do i just have a maturing hairline?
    what to do about dry scalp / dandruff? have tried almost everything!!nothing has helped
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg

Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	34413   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg

Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	34414   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg

Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	34415   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg

Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	34416   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG

Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	34417   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg

Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	34418   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg

Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	34419   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg

Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	34420  

Hi,
    Honestly, from these photos I can't see any change to your hairline since 2009. So far, I don't think you are receding there. Some of the hairstyles you've choose to wear do make it look as if you might have thinning hair in the front to crown. Hair loss can be a genetic trait, so, it is likely you will experience some loss, but since you have more hair than your dad at the same age, this could be a good sign.

As for your dry scalp, there are a lot of causes for dandruff. You might have a sensitivity to ingredients in hair care products. Also, shampooing too often or using too many styling products also may irritate your scalp, causing dandruff. Try hair care products for babies and see if that helps at all.

Overall, I think your hair still looks good. I like the way you styled it in photo 7.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

If there isn't much in the way of hair loss on your mother's side and if your father's hair loss is not that common on his side, you may have inherited some decent hair genes. Sometimes use of a product coincides with what appears to be a side effect. Some people do have a reaction to minoxidil though. Our patients who appear to have been successful in keeping hair loss under control, regularly use several different products. Our patient from two days ago told me he began losing his hair at 15. At 35, his hair looks really good, considering that when a man loses hair at an early age, he'll commonly end up pretty bald by his mid thirties. This particular man has alternated between finasteride and dutasteride over the years, he uses Nizoral shampoo once a week, spironolactone, and Rogaine. Other patients upon reading a theory about hair loss that involves a person's immune system "finishing off" miniaturizing hair, use corticosteroids. For instance Cordran SP has a listed side of excessive hair growth. When I had a bad case of dandruff years ago, my dermatologist prescribed hydrocortisone cream and it took care of the dandruff and my hair thickened up a little. Regular use of corticosteroids can cause skin thinning, so even over the counter hydrocortisone 1% is not something you should use every day.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 07:42 PM.

Well my dads hair is the worst one in the pedigree , his brothers have good hair. my uncles on my mothers side are bald too but my maternal grand father still has hair( he 84 ) and i sometime wish i cud have his hair!!! they are that good!
    well from my last medications experiences i have kinda opted out on medications! there are less benefits than they have side effects!
    i have been reading hair loss forums from ages and being a medico i am kinda more concerned about medications!
    i stopped using minoxidil ( rogaine ) coz of dry scalp
    i stopped using coal tar ( it being carcinogenic )
    i dont wanna use finsateride coz it can cause fertility problems in males and i still need to get married and have kids!
    and corticosteriods cause dermal atrophy, your right. my doctor did prescibe me foam forms of steroids and i opted not to use them!
    although these side effects are not in all people but they do occur and being an informed person i am a bit scared using any of these!
    coz i better be a healthy bald than a bit less bald with medications and have other side effect problems.

though i know i may get bald in near future! i am looking for natural methods to stop hairloss! have been looking for oils and stuff.. basically the ones with no side effects!

no offence to you sir and any body else too!
    thanks for the reply though.

I recently came across an article that showed pumpkin seed oil could be used as a viable treatment for hair loss. The effective dose used in the article was 100mg capsules twice daily, 30 minutes before breakfast and evening meals. If you are looking for something all natural, this may help. Unfortunately, minoxidil does have a side effect of dry scalp. If you aren't willing to use the medication and treat the side effect, then I guess it's not an option. Finasteride, as you mentioned, also has a side effect profile that some men are not comfortable with. You could look into a good shampoo/conditioner system that promotes hair growth. I know HairCycle has all natural ingredients, such as saw palmetto and biotin that stimulate hair growth. Other products may be available as well. The Capillus cap could be an option. Low level laser therapy has had some good results on hair growth in recent studies. PRP and ACell may also help with promoting your hair growth. PRP doesn't have any side effects because the blood product used in treatment is derived from the actual patient being treated. I'm not aware of any other "all natural" products that actually work for treating hair loss. I guess you will have to decide what is more important to you, maintaining your hair and risking the possibility of side effects or losing your hair and not dealing with any medication side effects. Good luck to you!

Aphrodite also posts as rapunzel and works at Dr. Cole's office - Cole Hair Transplant - 1070 Powers Place Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011. The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice.

hello,
    thanks for the reply. can you tell me the product name of this pumpkin seed oil or where these tablets might be available in usa? no harm in trying them!
    HairCycle? i have no idea about this ? is this a tablet/shampoo or what!
    yes i have been taking biotin supplements everyday!also read somewhere i shudnt eat raw eggs ( boiled ones) coz it hs avidin and it binds biotin and decreases its level! so yeah stopped that!
    i have been using almond and olive oil combo lately!
    actually i do wanna share why i started using this combo oil ! i have an injury in my head near my hairline. it was a sport injury and i had inflamation and localized edema and eventually i lost hair over that area and it became a bald spot !! very ugly! though injury areas dont really regrow hair but someone suggested me almond plus olive oil combo. i used it everyday for 4 months and i saw new hair in that area and today i cant really distinguish them from rest of hair! so i thot why not use it as a regular oil.
    and pumpkin seed oil.. i would love to try it!

PRP and Acell! i reallt dont have any knowledge about these. can you please tell me more about it or provide links?

yes, i know thats a difficult one to choose! risking myself to sideffects or just letting it happen! i havent been able to convince myself for these medications

The dose of pumpkin seed oil used in the study was actually 400mg/day (2 100mg capsules before breakfast and dinner). Sorry for the incorrect dose of 200mg provided earlier. I have seen amazon and GNC supply pumpkin seed oil at a higher strength of 1000mg online. It may still be work trying even at the higher dose. No difference in adverse effects were seen between the placebo group and the group treated with pumpkin seed oil in the study. HairCycle is hair products like shampoo, conditioner, and volumizing spray. Check it out at www.haircycle.com. That's great that the combo of almond oil and olive oil helped with treating your scalp injury. Perhaps they have some healing properties.

Aphrodite also posts as rapunzel and works at Dr. Cole's office - Cole Hair Transplant - 1070 Powers Place Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011. The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice.

Your not going to keep your hair with pumpkin seed oil or saw palmetto unfortunately unless you were never going bald to begin with. I saw the pumpkin seed oil study it was really small and lacking information like androgen levels before/after. I guess though a lot of stuff are feel good treatments because you feel your doing something even though really its probably not doing much of anything. I guess if it makes you feel better