+ Reply to Thread

Default Hair loss shame: Dreadful moment when someone from 7 years ago saw me in a store...

Was shopping for electronics in a very well known retail store. I was checking out some products when I heard my name. I looked around and I saw someone from my childhood, but the last time I saw him was 7 years ago.

What I saw on his face was a look of horror. He completely stared at my severe baldness and just didn't know what to say. He began to slightly laugh, and quickly said that he'll leave me alone, and that he had some stuff to look for. Then he laughing to himself, quickly walked to another section of the store. He kept staring at my intense baldness.

I used to hang out with this guy a lot, and last time he saw me, was a Norwood 3a.

It is very sad and embarrassing what hair loss has done to my self esteem. I have low low low self esteem.

I cant keep doing this. Every man has a breaking point.

You have been hitting this forum hard for the last couple of weeks putting up some strong topics.

I am not going to say I know what you are going through, because although my hair loss is bad, I am not a NW7. But I am friends with a guy that lost his hair around the same age as you lost yours. I am not trying to crap on the guy because he really is a good guy, but he isn't a good looking guy either. We never had discussions about our hair loss or anything like that so I really don't know how/if he was effected by it. What I do know is that even at a young age he wasn't walking around with his head down hating life. He was actually a cool guy that was fun to hang out with. He didn't let his hair loss dominate his life and prevent him from having fun. I am not going to feed you some BS that confidence will get you the hot girl etc. What I will say is that you need to say eff you to all the a$$holes out there and live your life. Yes there will be many people out there that think this hair loss stuff is funny, but there are also people out there that won't give a crap. Gravitate toward those people. Get yourself a good group of friends and start hanging out with them. There will always be people out there that will shit on you whether it be for your hair, teeth, lack of style, or whatever. You cant let them win by letting their insults defeat you.

Guy sounds like a total dick. I remember having a full head of hair and interacting with people I knew who were experiencing hair loss and while I remember noticing it I also remember it being a brief thing that I nearly immediately stopped paying attention to. I have been surprised by how much of a big deal some people make about it; I myself have had some comments when my hair was laying in a way that made the underlying state more obvious from relatives in their 70s and 80s, people you would think would have some perspective and not give a sh*t about something so relatively inconsequential (at least from certain perspectives). The "other people noticing and acting like jerks" thing unfortunately does happen. But you are still the same person you always were, incidents like this will grow fewer, and as you get adjusted to it you will care less and less. Other people frequently disappoint in their choices of behavior, and we are vulnerable due to the ridiculous and unwarranted position hair loss occupies in our culture at this moment, but this is one guy and it sounds like he's uniquely idiotic. You must not look that different if he recognized you. And he had no interest in talking but just wanted to come over and laugh and make you uncomfortable? He's trapped in a juvenile and cruel mindset. Eff 'em.

I agree with beetee! Forget about him, he is no friend of yours. If a grown man has to turn and have a laugh, he needs to seriously grow-up! I know his reaction is really bugging you, but try to let it go. As the others have said, there are other people in your life and those you will meet, who do not care about hair. Hair does not define you. Your personality does.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    You have been hitting this forum hard for the last couple of weeks putting up some strong topics.

I am not going to say I know what you are going through, because although my hair loss is bad, I am not a NW7. But I am friends with a guy that lost his hair around the same age as you lost yours. I am not trying to crap on the guy because he really is a good guy, but he isn't a good looking guy either. We never had discussions about our hair loss or anything like that so I really don't know how/if he was effected by it. What I do know is that even at a young age he wasn't walking around with his head down hating life. He was actually a cool guy that was fun to hang out with. He didn't let his hair loss dominate his life and prevent him from having fun. I am not going to feed you some BS that confidence will get you the hot girl etc. What I will say is that you need to say eff you to all the a$$holes out there and live your life. Yes there will be many people out there that think this hair loss stuff is funny, but there are also people out there that won't give a crap. Gravitate toward those people. Get yourself a good group of friends and start hanging out with them. There will always be people out there that will shit on you whether it be for your hair, teeth, lack of style, or whatever. You cant let them win by letting their insults defeat you.
    You are a good soul. May God bless you with a full head of hair.

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    Guy sounds like a total dick. I remember having a full head of hair and interacting with people I knew who were experiencing hair loss and while I remember noticing it I also remember it being a brief thing that I nearly immediately stopped paying attention to. I have been surprised by how much of a big deal some people make about it; I myself have had some comments when my hair was laying in a way that made the underlying state more obvious from relatives in their 70s and 80s, people you would think would have some perspective and not give a sh*t about something so relatively inconsequential (at least from certain perspectives). The "other people noticing and acting like jerks" thing unfortunately does happen. But you are still the same person you always were, incidents like this will grow fewer, and as you get adjusted to it you will care less and less. Other people frequently disappoint in their choices of behavior, and we are vulnerable due to the ridiculous and unwarranted position hair loss occupies in our culture at this moment, but this is one guy and it sounds like he's uniquely idiotic. You must not look that different if he recognized you. And he had no interest in talking but just wanted to come over and laugh and make you uncomfortable? He's trapped in a juvenile and cruel mindset. Eff 'em.

This guy was at least better than some others I've met.

One guy literally had the most evil smile, and was looking at me, laughed, smiled maliciously, and without a single word, kept smiling while keeping his head down, and walked past me with the most negative energy in the world. He was laughing at me the entire time, without saying anything. But you could tell he was making intense fun of my baldness.

Another guy, who was really really bad, severely critisized me over something small and yelled at me, and sent really negative energy to me. One few years later, when seeing me, laughed to himself over my hairloss. You could tell he was laughing at me.

The guy I met at the store was way better than these last two in terms of behavior.

But thanks for the words. I appreciate it.

I would have walked up to the guy, looked him dead in the eyes, and called him a judgmental asshole. Then I would have commented negatively on his appearance, since he started it. Sometimes you gotta take the fight to them. If I saw an old friend I used to know and they looked a little worse for wear, bald, or whatever, I would not do that to someone because that really is a shitty thing to. People like that guy aren't worth a damn. If I were you, I would try to save up some money and move somewhere else. Try to get a fresh start somewhere and meet some people who aren't so motivated to tear others down.

I dont think any guy in existance when he first noticed he was losing his hair was happy about it I mean every single guy I ever met didnt want to go bald. Given the current options though you dont have many choices so most guys just live with it which is a perfectly valid choice if you dont want to take drugs.
    No one wants MPB, but you can overcome it. I know bald guys that are fun to be around and that is really what its all about they have more friends than me although girls do tend to gravitate towards other guys instead. Personality is really the name of the game it easily overcomes hair in the long run thats the honest truth.

Hey guys how about hair transplant surgery. I just had one 9 days ago and I am very happy and very optimistic. The worse of the worse is to be seen my family members without head hair very uncomfortable situation. As for friends who cares its all about your own personality. If you a nice, fun, caring person many will come to you and wanting to be your friend!
    Remember one thing no one is perfect except the almighty, the creator of all if you believe in a unique God. Everyone else no one is perfect!!!!