+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Does FIN work on a receding hairline?

Hi everyone, I have a receding hairline and that's about it. You can see my thread with pics here. I have an appt. set up with a dermatologist in January and I'm hoping to get prescribed FIN. I've already started using 1% nizoral shampoo twice a week as recommended by people here.

I just got really worried, however, because I've read that FIN doesn't work on receding hairlines.. In fact, the website for Propecia even states, "PropeciaŽ is the first and only FDA-approved pill used for the treatment of male pattern hair loss on the vertex (top of head) and anterior mid-scalp area (middle front of head). There is not sufficient evidence that PropeciaŽ works for receding hairlines at the temples."

So basically I'm asking for your guys' input on the matter, as I don't want to start FIN if it won't help.

Thanks

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy22 View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a receding hairline and that's about it. You can see my thread with pics here. I have an appt. set up with a dermatologist in January and I'm hoping to get prescribed FIN. I've already started using 1% nizoral shampoo twice a week as recommended by people here.

I just got really worried, however, because I've read that FIN doesn't work on receding hairlines.. In fact, the website for Propecia even states, "PropeciaŽ is the first and only FDA-approved pill used for the treatment of male pattern hair loss on the vertex (top of head) and anterior mid-scalp area (middle front of head). There is not sufficient evidence that PropeciaŽ works for receding hairlines at the temples."

So basically I'm asking for your guys' input on the matter, as I don't want to start FIN if it won't help.

Thanks
    Dr. Bernstein has an excellent photo gallery of Propecia results. This can give you an idea of how you might respond.

-Gallery-

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Dr. Bernstein has an excellent photo gallery of Propecia results. This can give you an idea of how you might respond.

-Gallery-

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    Thanks for sharing, it looks like it really restored a lot of hair. However, I noticed a lot of those folks were in their 30's, and I'm 18. Is there any correlation between age and the drug's effectiveness? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy22 View Post
    Thanks for sharing, it looks like it really restored a lot of hair. However, I noticed a lot of those folks were in their 30's, and I'm 18. Is there any correlation between age and the drug's effectiveness? thanks
    It should be as effective when you're young but at 18 you're still growing so you may want to hold off or take a much smaller dose along with topicals like minoxidil and Nizoral shampoo once a week.

It should be as effective when you're young but at 18 you're still growing so you may want to hold off or take a much smaller dose along with topicals like minoxidil and Nizoral shampoo once a week.
    Thanks, I've done some research but haven't really found anything conclusive as to what it can really affect in terms of development.

what if someone still has most of their hair and maybe its like nw 1 on the way to nw 2 could propecia prevent them from happening?

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    what if someone still has most of their hair and maybe its like nw 1 on the way to nw 2 could propecia prevent them from happening?
    that's exactly what I'm wondering!

*bump* anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    I haven't seen Propecia (finasteride) prevent hair loss. I have only seen it decelerate hair loss and in some cases reverse hair loss but only to a degree. In the case of a young norwood 1, it may help preserve your teenage hairline longer than if you didn't use Propecia. Recession is normal. Native Americans who very rarely go bald nearly always have varying degrees of recession.

I haven't seen Propecia (finasteride) prevent hair loss. I have only seen it decelerate hair loss and in some cases reverse hair loss but only to a degree. In the case of a young norwood 1, it may help preserve your teenage hairline longer than if you didn't use Propecia. Recession is normal. Native Americans who very rarely go bald nearly always have varying degrees of recession.

At what rate can you expect to see Propecia decelerate hair loss? What are examples of good responders and bad responders