+ Reply to Thread

Angry Doctor won't prescribe 5mg finesteride (quartered)

Hi all, this is my first post here. Looking for some help and to see if others have had this issue. I started taking finesteride 6 years ago and it is working great. I used to live in KC and was seeing a physician's assistant that prescribed me the 5gm generic finesteride that I would quarter. I'd see him once a year, he'd refill my prescription with a 90 supply per fill and would order yearly lab work to make sure there are no adverse liver side effects. We moved to the Orlando area 2 years ago. I went to a new dermatologist here and she did the same, she gave me a year prescription at a 90 day supply per fill and ordered lab work. I came in for a refill the next year and the original physician's assistant had left so I had to see someone new. She filled my prescription, but only for 30 day supply per fill which was frustrating. She also wanted me back in 6 months, which too was frustrating as I was used to just coming yearly. Two weeks ago I went back to the same place and had to see another new person. She wouldn't even refill my prescription without doing the lab first. She also wouldn't prescribe the 5mg quartered, she said she'd only do the 1mg pills which is much much more expensive as you all know. The lab work she requested was much more than usual. It was going to cost me $50 verses the normal $5. So basically I lost $40 for my office visit as there is no way I am paying that much for lab work and paying $100-$200 per month vs $9 for the pills.

Has anyone else had an issue with a doctor, nurse practitioner or physician's assistant not doing the 5mg quartered? Do you normally have to see the doctor once or twice a year? Do you have issues getting 90 day supply per fill?

I now have to find a new doctor and start all over again. I am terrified that the next place will want to screw me over too. I just came in for a simple refill, is it that difficult?

Anyone in the Orlando area that has a doctor they recommend that'll be willing to do things right? Do I have to see a dermatologist? I need to have a physical and get set up with a new primary card provider. Is it possible to get this prescription from that type of doctor?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance!

Greg

This is why I just bit the bullet and consulted with an IAHRS approved hair transplant doctor. It costs me $200 a visit but I get 2 years worth of a prescription for 5mg finasteride, so that comes out to $100 per year.

I just can't stand the hassle of regular doctors who really don't know anything about hair loss.