+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Had a similar intensity workout a few hours ago without preworkout and have not had any itching or shedding. Just wish i knew what ingredients were causing it so i can find a preworkout that is safe

Quote Originally Posted by Stressed View Post
    Had a similar intensity workout a few hours ago without preworkout and have not had any itching or shedding. Just wish i knew what ingredients were causing it so i can find a preworkout that is safe
    I'm not sure what stage you are at with your bodybuilding, but from my experience pre-workout supplements are not worth the cost or risk to your hair and general health.
    I have been making very good progress with only a solid meal and a little caffeine as my pre-workout. Staying consistent with your routines is the best way to be prepared for the next workout.
    Most of the workout supplements on the market are created in a complete chemical sh*t-storm of ingredients that you need to be a chemist to identify. I gave them up completely and have saved myself the money and worry about risking further hair-loss from weird chemicals.
    I can honestly say that none of the pre-workout supplements I used to take did anything more than a caffeine drink and a good warm up routine can do. You don't need that stuff to make gains.

Thanks for the advice! Im 21 now and iv been drinking preworkout 4 times a week since i was 16. So hopefully by quitting that and continuing propecia ill save my hair

@Karlton whats your opinion on whey protein and protein shakes in general in terms of hairloss?

@Karlton whats your opinion on whey protein and protein shakes in general in terms of hairloss?
    I have been on finasteride for over 12 years, and I have used whey protein off an on within that time. Whey is a convenient, inexpensive means of getting a little extra protein into your diet. It also tastes better than the other types of protein shakes out there.
    I don't believe it's ever had a negative effect on my hair, but again I take finasteride so it may have been the medication that was protecting my hair. I have read that some doctors are saying that whey protein isolates can cause spikes in your DHT and subsequent hair shedding, but I'm not sure if there is any hard evidence there. I will have a whey protein shake once in a while, but I alternate with other types of protein shakes like soy, rice, grass, sprout. I like some variety, and I try not to overdo it with any one type of protein. I also try to stick with shakes that have natural and organic ingredients. I am amazed at the list of chemical ingredients in some of these bodybuilding supplements these days. It's scary to think how quickly people will empty their wallets, and fill there bodies with chemicals they can't even pronounce.
    Now that I have been lifting for a few years, I have realized that the best and most reliable way to get the protein you need is through real food. I try to spend my time and money keeping lots of good, wholesome food and drinks in my fridge. I do like a shake for breakfast, and post-workout, simply for the convenience. Good luck with your gains!

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Hi guys
    I have been on propecia for 5 months and minox for 2 weeks. I have not been gymming very hard in the past couple of weeks and my hairloss has seemed to have stabilised in the past month. Today i went to gym and had a strenuous weightlifting session and drank a preworkout containing 2 grams of creatine which i have done many times before with no problems ...about 3 hours after the gym session my head starting to itch and i scratched it and hundreds of hairs began to fall out for the next few hours?? Has anybody ever heard of this? The shed was definitely caused by todays workout but why....
    Finasteride and Dutasteride are very effective in holding back hair loss due to MPB. I worked out a lot when I was younger and plan to get back into it regularly. I would personally avoid anything that has a known side effect of hair loss. A lot of things can trigger telogen effluvium. Sometimes we associate hair loss with an event that coincides. I would take a close hard look at all medications and supplements you are taking. In 2004, I was taking Ibuprofen, Allegra for allergies and glucosamine and chondroitin. For whatever reason that combination caused my hair to thin severely all over. It grew back. I have found that if you avoid being so gentle with your hair, at least in my case, it grows better. Some men won't wash their hair or even run a comb through it out of the dread of seeing normal hair shedding in their comb or brush. If you improve blood circulation by brushing and massaging your scalp while avoiding anything with a known side of hair loss, you should see an improvement. Here at Dr. Cole's we have a patient today who mentioned, he started losing his hair at 15. When MPB starts that early, generally speaking, there isn't much left on top by the mid thirties. Our patient is 35 and still has a decent amount of hair. He has been using Propecia and alternating over the years with Avodart. He uses Rogaine and Nizoral once a week and spironolactone. He told me his brother who did nothing for his hair is a norwood 6 and shaves his head. He's a doctor and today is having ACell and PRP administered during his surgery. He uses PRP in his practice.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck