+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Extremely sudden shed after gym session!!

Hi guys
    I have been on propecia for 5 months and minox for 2 weeks. I have not been gymming very hard in the past couple of weeks and my hairloss has seemed to have stabilised in the past month. Today i went to gym and had a strenuous weightlifting session and drank a preworkout containing 2 grams of creatine which i have done many times before with no problems ...about 3 hours after the gym session my head starting to itch and i scratched it and hundreds of hairs began to fall out for the next few hours?? Has anybody ever heard of this? The shed was definitely caused by todays workout but why....

Quote Originally Posted by Stressed View Post
    Hi guys
    I have been on propecia for 5 months and minox for 2 weeks. I have not been gymming very hard in the past couple of weeks and my hairloss has seemed to have stabilised in the past month. Today i went to gym and had a strenuous weightlifting session and drank a preworkout containing 2 grams of creatine which i have done many times before with no problems ...about 3 hours after the gym session my head starting to itch and i scratched it and hundreds of hairs began to fall out for the next few hours?? Has anybody ever heard of this? The shed was definitely caused by todays workout but why....

Creatine spike in DHT levels, are you using a keto shampoo? I found pre workouts to be more harsh than standard 5 gram creatine.

Yes im using keto shampoo but did not shower straight after. If a spike in DHT was caused surely the DHT wouldn't cause the hair to fall out instantly? In my understanding the DHT first miniaturises the hair before it falls out

Wrong I had the same case when I took pre work out my scalp was tingling and itching etc.

Hi guys
    I would be very surprised if it's got to do with DHT levels to account for an acute shed as you describe. There are a lot of other hormones at play while working out, such as cortisol, which could also lead to hair loss. Hard to isolate the cause, but I wouldn't worry terribly much, try to keep stress down and lower intensity of weight lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryUser View Post
    I would be very surprised if it's got to do with DHT levels to account for an acute shed as you describe. There are a lot of other hormones at play while working out, such as cortisol, which could also lead to hair loss. Hard to isolate the cause, but I wouldn't worry terribly much, try to keep stress down and lower intensity of weight lifting.
    I suspected that it was maybe telogen efluvium. Is it possible for heavy weightlifting and possibly irregular breathing to cause some stress in the scalp causing temporary and sudden hairloss?

I suspected that it was maybe telogen efluvium. Is it possible for heavy weightlifting and possibly irregular breathing to cause some stress in the scalp causing temporary and sudden hairloss?

It has to be the pre work out, when I used c4 it caused me to thin out.

No idea. I am not aware of any data about that. I do know that chronic stress can lead to hair loss, the telogen effluvium kind, but weightlifting and aerobic exercise spike cortisol levels -- stress hormone -- but this is only temporary and shouldn't lead to a spontaneous amount of hair coming out. But there is normal hair loss per day, did you experience more than 100 hairs lost in that single instance? If so, then you really should see a doctor as soon as you can, that is not normal at all, especially just in response to weight training.

Unfortunately my doctor and dermatologist dont know much about hairloss. If the hairs that did come out had a little white bud on the end is that a good sign?

Unfortunately my doctor and dermatologist dont know much about hairloss. If the hairs that did come out had a little white bud on the end is that a good sign?
    Think I remember that being indicative of telogen effluvium. From drugs.com (http://www.drugs.com/health-guide/te...effluvium.html)
    If the doctor gently tugs on some hairs on your scalp and four or more hairs come out, you probably have telogen effluvium. Also, the hairs will look like hairs in the telogen phase — they will have a white bulb at the end that was in the scalp, and will not have a gel-like covering around that end of the hair.
    So it's a good sign, because telogen effluvium isn't something that usually leads to permanent loss, but will grow back within 6-9 months. A rather long wait, I know, I actually experienced the same type of hair loss recently and am still waiting for the hairs to grow back after 5 months.

Have you tried looking for a different dermatologist?