+ Reply to Thread

Thread: question?

Default question?

Hair loss runs in our family. I’m in my early thirties and barely have any hair left. I was thinking of using Finasteride. Anybody try this? did it work?

Hi - i replied to your other questions also in the other topic:

Yes finesteride can and does work in many people who use it to stop their hairloss or slow it down - it has certainly helped me. There is a great deal of info from users within the forum so possibly use the search function to gain an overall view.

Some info:
    The big 3 to beat DHT, (The cause of hairloss)

- Propecia ( Finesteride ), Minoxodil and Nizoral

Here is the thing you need to make sure you understand when it comes to MPB:

The main known factor that causes hairloss is DHT. To form DHT your body's 5a-reductase enzyme converts free roaming testosterone DHT inside the hair cell follicle. The DHT then binds to the hair cell receptor and causes it to atrophy or shrink. Eventually your hair follicle stops producing hair and you lose that follicle.

There are two types of the 5ar enzyme; Type I and Type II. Type II 5ar seems to be the main culprit in MPB as the type II enzyme is present in the hair follicles. Finasteride is a specific inhibitor of Type II 5ar inhibitor that reduces DHT produced by the type II 5ar by 85%-90% and reduces the overall DHT blood serum levels by 65%.

As you will see Finasteride (Propecia/Proscar) is extremely useful as a treatment for MPB as it directly attacks the problem. Nizoral shampoo is thought to help "dull" the androgen receptors in the scalp which the DHT binds to. Together they provide a synergetic effect.

Minoxidil is a hair stimulant. It is FDA proven hair stimulant on the market. However stimulating hair and protecting hair from further damage are two separate actions

Minoxidil will artificially augment your hair while you use the compound but it does NOT have any know effect on 5ar or the androgen receptors in the scalp.

The best way to attack MPB is to:

1. Stop further damage to your hair via DHT. You can accomplish this best by using Finasteride to inhibit the 5ar enzyme and Nizoral to "dull" the androgen receptors.

2. **If** further thickening/regrowth is needed after the hair damaging DHT androgen is reduced then minoxidil can be used to further augment your existing hairs and perhaps even stimulant some dormant hair follicles to resume growing.

I hope this helps give you some info. I am sure other guys here will be able to confirm info above and help further based on their own personal experiences. You are not alone mate.

Regards
    Spex

Spex hit it all right on target. That's some good advice right there