+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy 23-years-old and apparently balding.

My uncle, mom, and grandma (all on the same side) have had issues with thin hair, so I'll put that out there.

I noticed maybe a year ago that I was thinning a bit at the very back of my head. I figured that maybe it's always been like that and I just never noticed, but it seems to have gotten worse.

I also have it near my left sideburn area, and above my right ear. At first I thought maybe it was an awful haircut, but a slight tug, and sure enough, silver-like thin hair came right out without effort (they look miniaturized). It's the same story with the hair on my forehead.

I have a physical next month and plan on asking about my hair. I'm in disbelief because this seems to be getting worse pretty quickly and it's all over my head -- except the top, as far as I can tell. Here are a few pictures...

Temple area: http://oi58.tinypic.com/2ahryo3.jpg
    Left side: http://oi57.tinypic.com/s5ic2d.jpg
    Back of head: http://oi61.tinypic.com/kapow0.jpg
    Back right of head: http://oi62.tinypic.com/k6o1v.jpg

and a few more pics that might be better...

Left side: http://oi62.tinypic.com/rlhwu9.jpg
    Right side: http://oi62.tinypic.com/iyctc9.jpg
    Crown: http://oi58.tinypic.com/293ajjc.jpg (Looks quite thin but I think it's the lighting because as far as I remember it's always looked like that.)
    Back again: http://oi61.tinypic.com/2zpv91y.jpg (The worst part byfar. Becoming unsightly.)

I'm pretty worried because based on pictures it would appear that I have DUPA. However, this seems to be coming on pretty suddenly. I'm having occasional scalp itch where a hair or two comes out when I scratch that area, which is probably not a good sign. I estimate that I've been losing about 200 hairs a day for at least the past week.

After reading so many horror stories about Propecia (impotence, man boobs), I'm thinking about not bothering with that.

Can anybody lend some advice? Thanks. My last question is: is it possible to have hair miniaturization without having hair loss? I'm concerned because I'm losing quite a few short, weak, not-the-color-of-my-hair hairs at the back of my head that's already quite thin...

Get on propecia and stay on it ASAP. Disregard the internet horror stories that you've encountered. I am a 24 year old male and have been noticeably balding (atleast to me) since I was 23. I got on propecia and felt a little better. As soon as I got off of propecia due to financial issues my hair started thinning out dramatically forcing me to cut it down to a number one, which is not bad considering I'm a black male, I can kind of mask it this way. Still, it sucks knowing I'm not going to have my beautiful wavy low cut thick hair anymore. Unless propecia gives me some regrowth. I've been on for 3 months now.

I read Propecia only really works at treating hair on top of the head though near the crown. I haven't lost much (if any) hair up there... just quite a lot at the back of my head, my sideburns, and hairline.

It's barely noticeable But I understand your concern. Ignoring the obvious hope of growing your lost/thinned hair back, propecia will help sustain the hair that you currently still have. And thats pretty darn good when you have the amount of hair you currently still have.

I'll have to think about it.

I already have sliiight gynecomastia (I mean SLIGHT) and I'd rather not get gigantic boobs from taking Propecia. Also hearing it doesn't do anything for hairline, the back of the head, or the sides (where I'm losing the most hair) doesn't make it sound to be particularly worth the risk or money.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinningHairFML View Post
    I'll have to think about it.

I already have sliiight gynecomastia (I mean SLIGHT) and I'd rather not get gigantic boobs from taking Propecia. Also hearing it doesn't do anything for hairline, the back of the head, or the sides (where I'm losing the most hair) doesn't make it sound to be particularly worth the risk or money.
    Is your gyno diagnosed or are you just out of shape? Not trying to offend, but it does make a difference. The part of your comment that I bolded is just false. If your hair loss is due to MPB, then Propecia can help.

It's not diagnosed but I know gynecomastia has nothing to do with the shape you're in. Gynecomastia is solid breast tissue, not fat, and it can't be lost with exercise. It's noticeable to the touch.

Are there any decent topical DHT blockers out there? I figure they wouldn't work as well as Propecia, but I'd rather use Propecia as a last resort.

I have heard about topical finasteride around these forums. There are a few people that use it. Some claim to get good results, but I have yet to see any pics. The only thing I am sure of is if you can get your hands on it, it isn't going to be cheap.

Lastly, I would get your gyno properly diagnosed by a doctor. Especially if that is the main reason you are staying away from propecia. At the end of the day that is the best weapon we have at this point to battle hair loss.

Would a combination of Nizoral and something like Lipogaine do much of anything at all?

Gynecomastia isn't the only reason I'm reluctant of Propecia, at least at first... a lot of it is the side effects I've heard. I know the chances of getting a bad side effect are low, but I'd just like to wait... it'd take awhile, but I could get over baldness -- I couldn't get over the utter possibility of permanent impotence, severe depression, and brain fog.

Also, I haven't even been properly diagnosed for MPB (appointment in two weeks), but I have something going on. Minor scalp itches and scratches followed by a few (seemingly) miniaturized hairs? Not good. I was hoping it'd be thyroid related, but I'm not holding my breath... the kind of hair loss I'm experiencing isn't in sync with that.

There is no reason to think any hair loss is from anything but MPB I mean just odds are if your male its almost certainly MPB