+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yeah. Well hopefully in a couple weeks I can get confirmation. Believe me, I'm not going off saying "Nah, I'm not balding, it's gotta be my thyroid!" I am losing a lot of eyebrows and eyelashes as well, but not all MPB is created equal. Who knows.

I just hope my planned Biotin/Lipogaine/Nizoral regimine at least slows what's going on. For now, the only part that I think truly looks bad is the back of my head. I actually don't hate the bit of receding on my forehead as it makes me look less... twelve.

I pretty much refuse to try Propecia at this point though. Just not interested.

You know my dad recently told me I might have a thyroid problem because I have very little eyebrows left and most of the hair on my legs has fallen out too no idea if its related to the eyebrows or not. I eat lots of iron though so I think its BS personally but I guess who knows. A doc said though the lack of eyebrows could be thyroid issue

My eyebrows aren't super thin but I feel like I lose a lot. A few times a day I can just gently touch them and get three or four eyebrow hairs out in one go on each eyebrow. I'm hoping it's a thyroid issue, but I don't know. I've turned into a sort of hypochondriac the past week. I don't have tell-tale signs of a thyroid issue, I don't think. Yeah, hair loss. Sure, I'm a bit fatigued (but I generally feel that way and have for years). I do have some vertical "peaks" on a few finger nails and a bit of pitting on both big toes, but not the usual symptom of weight gain or loss.

I try convincing myself it's my thyroid or something else because I'm losing my hair seemingly so rapidly, but it's hard to get my hopes up when realistically it's probably retrograde alopecia. Hairline's receding, hair loss quite heavily at my side burns and around ears, and huge amounts of thinning at the back of my head... going to suck waiting for my appointment.

cant hurt to check that though because the thyroid thing is treatable while mpb as we know really isnt,

Are you on any other medications? Some prescription medications can cause gynecomastia. I would definitely recommend getting your hormone and thyroid levels checks, as levels outside of the normal range may contribute to the possibility of developing enlarged breast tissue in males. Some men with MPB do see results with combination therapy such as Nizoral, Rogaine, and topical steroids. Biotin can't hurt because it is needed to produce strong hair. Propecia is by far the most effective approved treatment on the market for MPB; however, I would recommend speaking to your Dr. first before making any decisions.

Aphrodite also posts as rapunzel and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant - 1070 Powers Place Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011. The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice.

I'm counting roughly 100-120 hairs lost per day, including what's on my pillow when I wake up. I just make a mental note. From what I understand, that's not abnormal hair loss. Still, the hair loss I'm experiencing at my sideburns and on the back of my head has to be abnormal, considering it's noticeably thin.

I'm not on any medication by the way. I've had slight gynecomastia since I was about fifteen or so, so it's not a new thing. I got my Nizoral in the mail today, and will start using that tomorrow. Doctor's appointment is next Friday, so we'll see what he says there and what the results of my blood test are.

You cant mistake going bald really I mean you see larger bald spots or you dont. If you pay attention you will notice. I dont know about counting hairs but if they dont grow back your going to see bald spots

I've come to accept it's not a thyroid problem, though I won't REALLY know until I get the blood results -- like I said, hairline's receding, crown's starting to thin a bit (hardly noticeable, depends on lighting and angle), back of head is already a different texture, and my sideburns are coming out really quickly.

If I don't have retrograde alopecia, I'd be shocked.

All I can do is hope that Nizoral, Lipogaine (or some other form of Minoxidil), and emu oil works for me. I've read that Minoxidil doesn't work for diffuse hair loss though, so I don't know what to think/do. Next week can't come fast enough.