+ Reply to Thread

Default Finasteride Disappointment

How long do you give it before you admit defeat and accept that finasteride just doesn't work for you?

Been on finasteride now for 6 months and there seems to be no slowing down of hair loss. If anything, in the last 6 months, I would say it seems like it has speeded up slightly (not blaming fin, this may have happened anyway).

Like many I started fin hoping it would halt hairloss and maybe even hoped for a little re-growth.

Is 6 months still too early to rule out finasteride having some positive effect? I've read in several places that 1 year is the benchmark at which you can truly assess how effective/non-effective it has been for you.

I'd say I'm a Norwood 2 entering the Norwood 3 stage but also generally thinning too :-(

All thoughts are welcome.

Thank you

There is really no way to tell whether or not it's working or not. In my case, I've been on it for over 2 years and it hasn't done anything positive for my hair (in fact I'm suspicious that it made it worse), but how do I know it isn't doing anything? I don't. That's the problem, even if you were losing hair, you cannot completely rule out that the Finasteride wasn't helping you slow down the loss. That's why I still take it, but I haven't experienced sides like others.

Most should show at least some improvement by the 1 year mark. I have also heard that the full benefits of fin are seen at around 1.5 - 2 years on the medication. But like others have said your hair loss may be really aggressive and fin can actually be helping by slowing it down.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerlocks View Post
    How long do you give it before you admit defeat and accept that finasteride just doesn't work for you?

Been on finasteride now for 6 months and there seems to be no slowing down of hair loss. If anything, in the last 6 months, I would say it seems like it has speeded up slightly (not blaming fin, this may have happened anyway).

Like many I started fin hoping it would halt hairloss and maybe even hoped for a little re-growth.

Is 6 months still too early to rule out finasteride having some positive effect? I've read in several places that 1 year is the benchmark at which you can truly assess how effective/non-effective it has been for you.

I'd say I'm a Norwood 2 entering the Norwood 3 stage but also generally thinning too :-(

All thoughts are welcome.

Thank you
    how old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    how old are you?
    Hey,

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm 30.

I wouldn't class my hair loss as 'aggressive' as such. I just know it's getting worse. I take regular photos to monitor it and monitor the effectiveness of finasteride.

As I say, only 6 months in, but it has definitely got worse in those 6 months. I got the prescription from Spencer's source, so I know it's legitimate stuff.

Just really disappointed/worried by the results so far :-(

My hair loss wasn't aggressive either. I noticed a small bald spot at the crown and went to the doctor, he told me I could try Fin. I procrastinated getting on Fin for about a year, and kept tabs on the bald spot, which didn't change in size, but a few months after starting Fin the front has diffused. That's why I say that my hair has become worse since starting.

I wouldnt even bother checking my hair if I was on fin until at least a year in. I mean even if it doesnt work what else is there? Your doing all that can really safely be done.