+ Reply to Thread

Default 23 year old Propecia Diary

Hi All,

As the title suggests I'm currently 23 been receding slowly since age 19. However in the past year or so it has began to pick up pace I'm probably Norwood II maybe verging Norwood III only temple recession the rest of my head is very thick.

Anyway I have become almost obsessed with my hairloss and I'm definitely not ready to give up my hair just yet. I first heard of propecia maybe 18 months ago and after 6 months of excessive browsing of hairloss forums and the internet in general I decided to go to boots and get my first months supply (£45) along with nizoral shampoo.

I am going to use this forum as a diary I will try to give regular updates during the initial stages then maybe weekly ones after that.

So I picked up my pills Yesterday 5/8/14. Popped one full 1mg pill pretty much as soon as I got home. Then another at the same time today. Mainly because I did not have a pill cutter to split the pills and also I was too eager to get started. May plan moving forward is 0.5mg per day Nizoral shampoo 2-3 times per week.

Tonight in the shower I did notice more hairs then normal without a doubt usually 10-15 tonight more like 20-30. But I did give my hair a really good scrub whereas I'm usually quite gentle. Anyway apart from that I feel fine I know it's very early but sexual desire/thoughts are still very high. However went to masturbate just before and erection seemed slightly different (maybe in my head).

Anyway I'll post a few pics soon and try and keep this up to date as there does seem to be quite a few men in my position.

Hello and welcome. It's good you are treating it now, I was at your point when I was 23 (NW II or III with thick hair), now 2 years later at 25 I finally started to treat it since the top of my head started to thin uniformly, and there's no guarantee it will return, unfortunately. Also, great idea to document your experience in this thread, will help out others as well to get an idea of what fin is like for some.

And it seems that erections can vary on this stuff. I recognize weaker erections and lessening of interest in sex, but there are still moments of strong sexual desire, just not as rampant as before. I haven't read anywhere that this doesn't reverse, in general, after discontinuing the drug.

So I'm on to 0.5mg of propecia every day now. The initial shed I experienced appeared to be just me giving my hair a really good scrub. Weirdly I've already noticed now less hair falling on my desk etc throughout the day and also slightly less in the shower. No real sides to note just yet everything is going great!

Thanks for the reply! Do you regret not starting earlier then?

Quote Originally Posted by Daleyp View Post
    So I'm on to 0.5mg of propecia every day now. The initial shed I experienced appeared to be just me giving my hair a really good scrub. Weirdly I've already noticed now less hair falling on my desk etc throughout the day and also slightly less in the shower. No real sides to note just yet everything is going great!

Thanks for the reply! Do you regret not starting earlier then?
    Good to hear you seem to be tolerating the medication well so far. And yes--I really, really, wish I had started at the genesis of my hair loss (though I was in denial about it). I wouldn't be in the nightmare I am in now had I done so.

So 5 days in of using 0.5 per day of propecia and nizoral and I'm experiencing some quite bad shedding!! Is this normal at this stage it seems early from what I have been reading?

That is rather early, but don't think it's too atypical. Are you sure you are just not more cognizant of hair loss and so you are seeing normal hair loss as shedding? When I went on meds I was examining every hair that would fall out and it's easy to interpret this as shedding but it's normal to shed 100 hairs or so a day. Is it more than 50-100/day? Do the hairs have a bulb at the end of it?

Sorry for the late reply holidays etc have got in the way. The hairs quite often have a very small bulb on the end so I'm assuming they are the hairs which have already been affected by DHT. Sticking to 0.5 of prop now. Hairs still falling out quite a lot in the shower. Head quite often itchy but assuming these all good signs. Hard to stick out when it feels like the tablets are speeding up the hairloss