+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Back to work soon after transplant -- is it just inevitable that everyone will know?

Hey guys, long story short...I was about a Norwood III-IV & had ~3000 grafts (mostly on crown). I took a few weeks off week (almost 3 weeks) and will be going back next week. Most of the scabs have fallen off but there's obviously still hairs sticking out in the implanted area, so the hairline does look lower.

I was under the assumption that when the scabs fell off, so will the hairs, but it looks like it's not completely the case. Now I normally wear my hair short anyway, but my question is, should I just resign myself to the fact that people will know?

I mean, I don't care if they find out when it starts growing, and I definitely don't regret having it done, it's just...not sure how to describe this, I just don't want to bring attention to it. I'm typically a shy, reserved person so the attention will bother me for sure.

Is it inevitable? I was thinking of buzzing everything down really short (to match the newly implanted hair sizes), but that's not really going to help considering the scar in the back.

What do you think?

Adding pics...

Looks good! I don't think you should buzz it all down to the same length. There is a noticeable difference even if it was shorter.
    Yup, you're going to have to accept your colleagues will notice a difference. You will definitely get looks, even if they don't realise why you look different. Depending on your relationship with each of them, some may have the courage to ask you more about what you've had done. I'd say just be as honest and as vague as you like. Don't stress over through, think it will be old news by the end of the week.

Thanks Sammygirl

I concur to just be calm and not to display any anxiety. People will be more suspect if you are demonstrating any nervousness.

Even if they figure it out, the more accepting and normal that you are, the less they will be tempted to interrogate you.

Once everything grows out, you will undoubtedly receive many compliments.

Congrats!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Completely agree with the other comments. I had the same dilemma in April. I didn't tell anyone at work and I promise not one person asked a single question and I work in an office with 300+ people. After 3 weeks someone said to me you've cut your hair shorter haven't you.. I was caught off guard as I was expecting questions in the first few days but after 3 weeks my guard was well and truly dropped.

Just over 3 months now and still no comments. You'll be absolutely fine

Quote Originally Posted by Scraff View Post
    Completely agree with the other comments. I had the same dilemma in April. I didn't tell anyone at work and I promise not one person asked a single question and I work in an office with 300+ people. After 3 weeks someone said to me you've cut your hair shorter haven't you.. I was caught off guard as I was expecting questions in the first few days but after 3 weeks my guard was well and truly dropped.

Just over 3 months now and still no comments. You'll be absolutely fine
    Thanks for the post

How many grafts did you get?

Good advice from gillenator. Just do your best to live your life and when your hair grows in everyone will be telling you how good you look.

Quote Originally Posted by ridge9 View Post
    Thanks for the post

How many grafts did you get?
    I had 2500 grafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scraff View Post
    I had 2500 grafts.
    You must be seeing the new growth coming in?
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin