X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lepke
    • Nov 2013

Booze and hair loss

Can booze consumption cause hair loss?

I like to drink bourbon. A lot of bourbon sometimes.
  • OrdinaryUser
    • Jul 2014

Maybe. If one is unaffected by male pattern baldness, then it would be Telogen Effluvium and would regrow some time after a period of heavy drinking. If you've got what is necessary for male pattern baldness then it's conceivable that you could accelerate the condition, from the stress of heavy drinking on the body. purely conjecture, though, and stress from not drinking could also cause hair loss :P

Comment

• reversethree
      • Jul 2014

every drunk i know had a full head of hair
      probably coincidence

Comment

• wintergreen
        • Mar 2013

Not coincidence. Heavy drinking decreases testosterone and increases estrogen. Heavy drinking is more effective than propecia in my experience.

Comment

• the_dude78
          • May 2011

Originally posted by wintergreen
          Not coincidence. Heavy drinking decreases testosterone and increases estrogen. Heavy drinking is more effective than propecia in my experience.
          That's most likely not the reason. Excess estrogen will cause thinning hair in both women and men. The reason alcohol might give some protection against hair loss could be because of the increase in shbg.

Execess estrogen can make a whole lot of mess, including thyroid problems, gyno and hair loss. Estrogen will not save your hair, but progesterone might help you since it is an estrogen antagonist and also a natural inhibitor of 5-alpha reductase.

Comment

• RedStaR
            • Jul 2014

Originally posted by the_dude78
            That's most likely not the reason. Excess estrogen will cause thinning hair in both women and men. The reason alcohol might give some protection against hair loss could be because of the increase in shbg.

Execess estrogen can make a whole lot of mess, including thyroid problems, gyno and hair loss. Estrogen will not save your hair, but progesterone might help you since it is an estrogen antagonist and also a natural inhibitor of 5-alpha reductase.
            Estrogen is a well known hormone for promoting hair growth in both men and women.

Comment

• the_dude78
              • May 2011

Originally posted by RedStaR
              Estrogen is a well known hormone for promoting hair growth in both men and women.
              If estrogen is too low, then yes, supplementing with estrogen can help you. If Estrogen is too high, estrogen can **** you over. Balance is the key. Newish research points to progesterone as the protective hormone when it comes to hair loss in men, not estrogen, as estrogen dominance will interfere with all other hormones in the body, including thyroid hormones. I can't find the source now, but as soon as I get home I will find it.

Don't supplement with estrogen in order to keep your hair if your levels are normal, it can mess up the endocrine system and cause imbalances that can lead to hair loss and lots of other nasty problems.

Comment

• Delphi
                • Mar 2009

I really don't think it will effect your hair in any way.

Comment

• wintergreen
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Delphi
                  I really don't think it will effect your hair in any way.
                  You sir are wrong. I started to thin in my late 20s when I went sober and I did not start to regain some ground until I started to heavily binge drink.

Propecia may cause erectile dysfunction... Excessive alcohol does the same. It is the same hormones at work i'm telling you.

Comment

• Kudu
                    • Nov 2013

Nothing wrong with a couple of White Russians in the evening, but I can't see heavy drinking as a good alternative to fin.

Comment

• kadlec
                      • Jul 2013

In the UK there is a celebrity doctor DR Christian and he was on a chat show and said drinking a lot will improve your hair and stop hair loss. A lot as in shitfaced all day every day

Comment

• Delphi
                        • Mar 2009

I guess I stand corrected.

Comment

• RedStaR
                          • Jul 2014

If it increases your SGBH and lowers free testosterone, then I can see why.

Comment

• amadeus
                            • Dec 2008

I have heard that excessive drinking might be linked to a lower incidence of hair loss, but you would have to drink enough booze daily to completely destroy your health, and the ability to function normally in society.

Comment

Working...