+ Reply to Thread

Post NYC surgeons - What more research can I do?

Hi,

So I've posted before, but I am 31 and have been losing my hair slowly for 11 years or so, I have been on propecia and then Avodart for this time. My hairline is receding to the point where I want to have a transplant done. I am limited by travel as I work in NY.

I have met with Bernstein and am meeting with Wesley, Feller and True/Dorin next week.

Bernstein suggested that I do 2200 grafts by FUT. I think I want to do more and like the work I have seen of Feller especially on hairlines.

But, many people keep telling me in different forums that I need to do more research and that FUT is a bad idea. I want to do FUT because I have long hair, always have, and don't want to shave my head for FUE. Many say I am crazy and tell me stories about their horrible scarring.

But I have researched all of these doctors thoroughly and have only read positive reviews and seen impressive pictures. Feller especially with hairlines.

What else can I do? I suppose I could travel, but I work in NYC.

I guess my question is, how do all of the above doctors have such good reputations and do such prolific work, if they are leaving people scarred and unhappy?

I want to do this and think it's time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0589.jpg

Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	33792Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0582.jpg

Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	33793Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0581.jpg

Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	33794Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg

Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	33795Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg

Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	33796

Receiving a bad scar from FUT does not necessarily mean the HT was done by a bad doctor. You can have the best HT doc in the world and end up with a very bad scar. Everyone heals differently and you may be one of the unfortunate ones who ends up with a wide scar. I think you are making a huge mistake if you get FUT. There are a few very good doctors that can do FUE without shaving your head.

Those are very highly regarded Drs, especially Bernstein. You can spend years going back/forth on sites and forums trying to make a decision. Best advice out there I believe is research it on your own and narrow it down to the best in the field for consults- which appears to be what you have done. Talk to patients as well. A good doc will have a list of former patients who are willing to speak to prospective patients. At end of day it is who you feel most comfortable performing this procedure on you. The Doc should have a long term plan for you as well. Also keep in mind - it is a big decision and don't feel as if you have to limit it to geography. I saw 4 docs for consults in 3 states before making a decision. Hope this info helps.

Thank you still deciding! That was the most concise and honest answer I've gotten on any of these sites! I appreciate it. Most of the responses have been I'm an idiot for doing FUT and need to do more research. But what more research can I possibly do? Im meeting with all of the above mentioned this week and will go with my gut sense and my confidence in his long term plan

Thanks for everyone's advise guys. I met with all the doctors and have made a choice. The doctor is recommending doing 2200-2500(max) I said why not more, just out of curiosity, and he said that doing a mass transplant will actually cause me to lose or destroy some of the natural hairs I still have. So, he said start with this, and if a year later I want more done that can easily be done. Perfect, honest advise.

He knew he could have convinced me to do much more, which would mean more $ for him, but he actually cared about the results which I greatly appreciated. I also met with him for almost an hour.

I am now confident to move forward.

Best of luck rocksteady!