+ Reply to Thread

playsound Hey 23 years old, just looking for support maybe advice

I listened to The Bald Truth back many years ago when WNEW had talk radio, and I would just leave it on all day and night and got into every show including the bald truth.

I am mainly looking for some support and advice, as my hair is starting to thin and it is a great cause of self-consciousness for me. If I have to assess it without photographs, my actual hair line is probably about the Norwood 1, but the crown area is definitely noticeably thinner. If you shaved all the hair evenly about a 3 you can definitely tell that the crown area is thinner and you can see "into" the hair on the top of my head more easily. I can hide it acceptably if the sides are shorter than the top and it is parted to the side. But under bright lights I get tense

I feel comfortable enough with my skull to shave my head, but the idea that I am losing my hair still makes me really sensitive. The worst part is that it is hard for people I respect to be honest with me sometimes. I kind of just need some outlet to talk about it because it bothers me a great deal, and makes me worry about my appearance more than I would like to...

I have off and on considered starting to take propecia, but I actually was wondering how I can find out more about stress/diet-related hair loss. I first noticed that my hair was getting thinner in college (I am out of college for a year now, 23 as the title states) which was very rough for me, I'd often go days without sleeping and my diet suffered tremendously. I also was accepted into my first choice so I put A LOT of pressure on myself to do well. I also was vegan for a while (sophomore to senior year of college) and am vegetarian now and know that I am most likely not getting enough protein nor do I eat particularly well. I also had a really terrible break up with a girl who I was seeing for 3 years. I know at the end of the day these are not terrible problems (ie I'm still alive and can do what I have to do), but for a long while I was pretty depressed...Basically I am wondering in a situation like this will it hurt to take propecia? My hair won't get magically thicker if my diet gets better right?

If I had some confidence that my hairloss could be in some kind of stasis I would feel a bit better about it.

playsound Welcome Back To The Bald Truth! | Audio Response

Quote Originally Posted by hellohello View Post
    I listened to The Bald Truth back many years ago when WNEW had talk radio, and I would just leave it on all day and night and got into every show including the bald truth.

I am mainly looking for some support and advice, as my hair is starting to thin and it is a great cause of self-consciousness for me. If I have to assess it without photographs, my actual hair line is probably about the Norwood 1, but the crown area is definitely noticeably thinner. If you shaved all the hair evenly about a 3 you can definitely tell that the crown area is thinner and you can see "into" the hair on the top of my head more easily. I can hide it acceptably if the sides are shorter than the top and it is parted to the side. But under bright lights I get tense

I feel comfortable enough with my skull to shave my head, but the idea that I am losing my hair still makes me really sensitive. The worst part is that it is hard for people I respect to be honest with me sometimes. I kind of just need some outlet to talk about it because it bothers me a great deal, and makes me worry about my appearance more than I would like to...

I have off and on considered starting to take propecia, but I actually was wondering how I can find out more about stress/diet-related hair loss. I first noticed that my hair was getting thinner in college (I am out of college for a year now, 23 as the title states) which was very rough for me, I'd often go days without sleeping and my diet suffered tremendously. I also was accepted into my first choice so I put A LOT of pressure on myself to do well. I also was vegan for a while (sophomore to senior year of college) and am vegetarian now and know that I am most likely not getting enough protein nor do I eat particularly well. I also had a really terrible break up with a girl who I was seeing for 3 years. I know at the end of the day these are not terrible problems (ie I'm still alive and can do what I have to do), but for a long while I was pretty depressed...Basically I am wondering in a situation like this will it hurt to take propecia? My hair won't get magically thicker if my diet gets better right?

If I had some confidence that my hairloss could be in some kind of stasis I would feel a bit better about it.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.