+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy22 View Post
    I just read about miniaturization, and my hair is short so I couldn't really tell if I had any. So, I cut some hair off my left hairline and cut some from the top of my head, and the hair from my left hairline is definitely a little thinner.

Is this a cause for concern? If so, I'm thinking of getting on some meds, either finasterside or prop. What do you guys think?
    Hey dawg, I too am an 18 year old (19 in august) and I had a very similar hairline to yours except mine was even more "M" shaped. It looked like I was balding before I hit puberty except for the thing you mentioned: the peak was "V" shaped, not "U" shaped liked in MPB.

Anyways, the thing about our hairlines is that any recession looks exponentially worse because of our natural hairlines.

What it seems you have right now is a mature hairline - however it could continue to recede. What I suggest is that over the next 6 months or whatever you closely monitor your hairline for any recession/thinning. In the mean time educate yourself about ALL available treatment options - minoxidil, propecia/finasteride (same thing) and even "experimental" treatments, namely RU58841.

I was unfortunately unlucky in that I had MPB. I first went with dutasteride (essentially stronger version of finasteride) but had terrible side effects and now am on RU58841, an expirimental anti androgen with better results and manageable side effects (I'm looking to get on a completely side effect free treatment soon).

All I can say is do your research.

You can go to a hair transplant office, to take a hair dx test( i think that's what its called) they do a test your hair if its being affected by dht. Your hairline is so similar to your dads and that's why i wouldn't jump right away on treatment. So find out because finasteride is a life thing and so is everything with hair. The moment you stop you lose that hair and you certainly don't want to be wondering over the years if you really need them.

Quote Originally Posted by goldnt View Post
    You can go to a hair transplant office, to take a hair dx test( i think that's what its called) they do a test your hair if its being affected by dht. Your hairline is so similar to your dads and that's why i wouldn't jump right away on treatment. So find out because finasteride is a life thing and so is everything with hair. The moment you stop you lose that hair and you certainly don't want to be wondering over the years if you really need them.
    How much does that cost

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Rarely, I will meet a patient with zero hair loss in his immediate family who is thinning. Chances are if your father has decent hair, your mother's father had decent hair, your father's brothers, and your mother's brothers are in good shape, you will not have to deal with baldness. Young guys often panic when they see normal recession. Very few men don't have any recession. The late president Ronald Reagan is an example of a man with no recession.

Just keep an eye on thinning or miniaturization. Our patient today is 39 and has some thinning he is addressing with hair transplants. He told me there is very little hair loss in his family.

When I was 14, my hairline receded a little bit. I panicked. Recession turned out to be the least of my worries because my hair thinned.

We have a patient whose hair thinned dramatically on top and he originally had a low hairline without any recession. He had 3600 grafts to address his thin hair mainly to rebuild a hairline. Dr. Cole placed his new hairline above his existing thinning hairline. The higher hairline looks more natural and our patient shaves his old hairline.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Side-by Side.jpg

Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	33825
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Rarely, I will meet a patient with zero hair loss in his immediate family who is thinning. Chances are if your father has decent hair, your mother's father had decent hair, your father's brothers, and your mother's brothers are in good shape, you will not have to deal with baldness. Young guys often panic when they see normal recession. Very few men don't have any recession. The late president Ronald Reagan is an example of a man with no recession.

Just keep an eye on thinning or miniaturization. Our patient today is 39 and has some thinning he is addressing with hair transplants. He told me there is very little hair loss in his family.

When I was 14, my hairline receded a little bit. I panicked. Recession turned out to be the least of my worries because my hair thinned.

We have a patient whose hair thinned dramatically on top and he originally had a low hairline without any recession. He had 3600 grafts to address his thin hair mainly to rebuild a hairline. Dr. Cole placed his new hairline above his existing thinning hairline. The higher hairline looks more natural and our patient shaves his old hairline.

Attachment 33825

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Thanks for your post! My mom's brothers all have hair, and my dad has no brothers. SO that's reassuring

I don't want to be totally repetitive, but I agree with the other posters. Looks like a mature hairline. If hairloss isn't in your family, I wouldn't be too worried yet, but definitely watch it. I know plenty of people that had their hairline react similar to yours around 20 or so and it didn't recede much going forward.