+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I agree about hair transplants being expensive

Plus the fact of the matter is medication only works for so long before the body adapts and hair loss starts up again... In saying this it only buys time. Now there are alot of whats the point and it really is a case of if you have more hair for five years then thats better then nothing. It also delays the need for hair transplants and gives you time to save or deal with it and by then who knows you might not care so much about hair who knows

If you are destined to be a high norwood (5 or 6) you will need a top shelf doctor plus realistic expectations. They play the grafts at such angles to maximise the hair to reflect the light (which makes you look balder). If you are high on the norwood scale you will need certain hair characteristics to have a truely amazing transformations so be careful when you look at guys like Jotronic and Bobman. They are the exception not the rule. Alot of guys have power comb overs and you really need to think worse case and is that acceptable if that was you in those photos in five years time (if you have aggressive balding)

If you can handle a shaved head get the proscar its the same drug as Propecia. It might halt or slow hair loss. Worse case save your money and go FUE and fill in balding areas as you go if you like the shaved look

All and all if you bald extensively you only have transplant as an option. No drugs will get your hair back. Not yet. That or get a rug I do not believe people can detect them truely a really good one

thanks NateDog but i dont plan on ever having a transplant i just want to hold on to what i have left for at least 5 years or so, until I can process mentaly im going completly bald. As I said i cant afford propecia, and dont know about Prscar, thats why im asking about any opinion on 5mg generic Finasteride sliced into forths because on my budget thats my las resort...

Quote Originally Posted by Kamui85 View Post
    thanks NateDog but i dont plan on ever having a transplant i just want to hold on to what i have left for at least 5 years or so, until I can process mentaly im going completly bald. As I said i cant afford propecia, and dont know about Prscar, thats why im asking about any opinion on 5mg generic Finasteride sliced into forths because on my budget thats my las resort...
    And by the way is there really no generic 1mg Finasteride?

What you need to buy is Proscar

It is the same drug as finasteride just in a five mg tablet and what you do is split it into quarters with a pill cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Kamui85 View Post
    thanks a lot silverson! anyone who has more datails or advice please keep them coming until sept. 9
    What happens on the 9th?

Compounding pharmacies can get you generic propecia to the tune of about $20 per month. Anyone can afford that in this country. I take 1.25mg fin, saw palmetto, multivitamins, calcium and zinc daily. I've noticed a minor sexual side effect (i.e., I'm not always thinking about banging every attractive woman I see), but no effects related to form or function I assume the little effect I have will subside in a month (started mid Aug) and I'll be back to the regular horn dog that I am.

FYI, you can finance hair surgery... you don't need all that cash up front.

Any validity to what this guy is saying? Diet alone can control elevated DHT apparently...

To fully explore this question we have to talk about the gate-keeper of free testosterone, sex hormone binding globulin or SHBG. Every hormone in the body is either "bound" to a carrier protein or "free" to circulate in the blood. SHBG is the master controller of how much free testosterone is available to be manufactured into DHT. In those with premature hair loss SHBG is found to be decreased, meaning that a large amount of their free testosterone is being converted into DHT by the 5-AR enzyme.

The most accepted theory of why subnormal values of SHBG are seen in those with premature hair loss, is that metabolic syndrome (insulin resistance, high triglycerides, high inflammatory markers, elevated cortisol) decreases SHBG. This is even the very theory that I subscribed to in my ebook, The Healthy Hair Diet. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon research that suggested that decreased levels of SHBG are actually caused by liver impairment.
    http://www.carnivorehealth.com/main/...-is-wrong.html

Default SeanSeymor, there is no validity to what he's saying.

The guy is basically saying that if you have less free testosterone floating around, less of it gets converted into DHT, and therefore baldness can't occur.

It's a nice theory, but it is wrong. It is wrong because the amount of free testosterone vastly exceeds the capacity of free enzymes to convert testosterone into DHT. Only a small proportion of testosterone gets converted into DHT anyway, and this is because the number of dht producing enzymes are limited. The amount of excess testosterone is huge. You could have your testosterone levels drop by a half, and it will have next to no effect on dht concentrations!

As such, diet can not affect dht concentrations.

Don't trust websites for medical + pharmacological information. Trust peer reveiwed scientific and medical journals. Use the NCBI to get access to abstracts if you don't have a medical librabry.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

I believe I read in the book"the bald truth" the more testosterone you have it was shown (by doing experiments) that the balder you get. Also that a sugar free diet,more protein foods and less fatty foods ,did affect baldness and hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by chasguy View Post
    What happens on the 9th?

Compounding pharmacies can get you generic propecia to the tune of about $20 per month. Anyone can afford that in this country. I take 1.25mg fin, saw palmetto, multivitamins, calcium and zinc daily. I've noticed a minor sexual side effect (i.e., I'm not always thinking about banging every attractive woman I see), but no effects related to form or function I assume the little effect I have will subside in a month (started mid Aug) and I'll be back to the regular horn dog that I am.

FYI, you can finance hair surgery... you don't need all that cash up front.
    On sept.9 was my appointment with my doctor, it went horrible… she wasn’t very familiar with the topic and didn’t agree to prescribing 5mg Finasteride. I’m changing doctors. I really need to find a trust worthy source from which to order generic 1mg Finasteride/Propecia because the idea of slicing 5mg into fourths is starting to scare me.