+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Persistent Scalp Itch

I am curious with other's experiences with this condition of scalp itch and general irritation.

Was your hair loss preceded with, or is accompanied by, an irresistibly itchy scalp? If so, did it persist or go away on its own? Did you find anything to relieve it?

I found scalp itch to begin when I first started losing a lot of hair, then it calmed down until I started to experiment with Rogaine. Now it hasn't let up, always have an itchy sensation on my scalp. Sometimes it comes with acne on my scalp as well. It's very annoying!!!

Thanks.

Get a scalp biopsy if you want to be sure it's nothing serious.

Yeah, I guess I will have to directly ask for one, because my dermatologist seems to not listen to these symptoms, or at least thinks it doesn't warrant a biopsy.

Same here the itchy scalp not sure what it is. I am curious what finasteride would do or if androgens are related somehow but I just dont know if propecia is worth the gamble just to find that out. I worry taking any drug internally unless its a major health issue its just not worth the risk to me long term when there are so many complex things we will never understand or be able to fix. If propecia caused some problem 10 years later your stuck there is no fixing it most of the time

My scalp itch comes if I stop FIN, it's lie a tingly itchy feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Same here the itchy scalp not sure what it is. I am curious what finasteride would do or if androgens are related somehow but I just dont know if propecia is worth the gamble just to find that out. I worry taking any drug internally unless its a major health issue its just not worth the risk to me long term when there are so many complex things we will never understand or be able to fix. If propecia caused some problem 10 years later your stuck there is no fixing it most of the time
    You are wise in eschewing finasteride on that basis. I guess it says something that I am willing to subject myself to potentially greater pain later, but I just can't resolve myself to do anything else. It would be nice, since finasteride has been approved for 10 years or so for MPB, to get a report of people who've been on it for a decade and to see about long-term effects. Not sure where I would find such information.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1 View Post
    My scalp itch comes if I stop FIN, it's lie a tingly itchy feeling.
    How much FIN are you taking? I am on .6mg or so per day, and still experience the itchy feeling. Though I've only been on it for about 4-5 months and have been going through a significant shed, who knows. Curious as to your experience with that.

Finasteride is honestly a pretty safe drug as far as internals go, but again any internal is a pretty decent risk long term IMO. There is a 10 year study on people using finasteride so I mean its a very well studied drug so you can find that study if you look im sure. I think its been in use for like 20 years so thats a long time with a pretty good safety record

Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryUser View Post
    You are wise in eschewing finasteride on that basis. I guess it says something that I am willing to subject myself to potentially greater pain later, but I just can't resolve myself to do anything else. It would be nice, since finasteride has been approved for 10 years or so for MPB, to get a report of people who've been on it for a decade and to see about long-term effects. Not sure where I would find such information.

How much FIN are you taking? I am on .6mg or so per day, and still experience the itchy feeling. Though I've only been on it for about 4-5 months and have been going through a significant shed, who knows. Curious as to your experience with that.
    You need up th dosage, I take 1mg every other day.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Finasteride is honestly a pretty safe drug as far as internals go, but again any internal is a pretty decent risk long term IMO. There is a 10 year study on people using finasteride so I mean its a very well studied drug so you can find that study if you look im sure. I think its been in use for like 20 years so thats a long time with a pretty good safety record
    I will have to look up that study. I am a bit wary of self-reports and interviews though, it shows little about causes and whatnot, but it still is useful. What do you feel would be the internal risk long term for Fin?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1 View Post
    You need up th dosage, I take 1mg every other day.
    I don't think I could tolerate upping my dose, unfortunately. Already makes me pretty tired all day

Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryUser View Post
    I will have to look up that study. I am a bit wary of self-reports and interviews though, it shows little about causes and whatnot, but it still is useful. What do you feel would be the internal risk long term for Fin?

I don't think I could tolerate upping my dose, unfortunately. Already makes me pretty tired all day

Scalp itch is linked to DHT, my hairloss is like a timer if I get itchy scalp means I'm losing hair. If I stop FIN couple days later my scalp would itch so bad I would lose hairs in those areas and begin to thin. If your getting itchy tingly scalp, I suggest try Reegenepure DR and NT daily, I been using it for 2 years daily and the Keto has helped a lot.