+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    LocalGuy how are you doing today?
    Wow, thanks for asking Artista...that is very nice of you.

First let me start with the good news, I think I already feel a lot of bristles of hair coming in already. Is that possible? So soon? When I try to look its hard to see because I need my glasses and can't look up in the mirror with bi-focals. Also I have grayish/white hair on my white scalp. But I can feel sharp little prickles of “hair” everywhere, I think. Who know what quality they will come in at, but at least its a good sign.

Went to my Dr. yesterday and I knew more about hair loss then he did. I tried to explain to him that I had a mop of thick hair only two months ago and it fell out this fast. But he must have thought that I have been balding all these years and just experienced some more loss and was exaggerating. But anyway he is having me do some blood work to check things out.

Now the bad news...I'm so sorry I learned about all these side effects, thanks web-sites. I was better off not knowing.
    Because now I think I have everything! I'm not sure if its in my head or real but my dick is shrinking, my boobs are growing and I have brain fog. Also it seems like I have to pee every few minutes.
    I'm wondering if I screwed up my body because I stopped taking it so fast and started again too fast.

About a week after I started Fins again, one morning when I woke up my testicles where really big and I had an erection. Which is very unusual, haven't had that in years so I kind of got worried, it didn't feel normal but it went away. I figured the fins was working again.
    Now this morning I woke up semi-hard and it seemed to last awhile. I got nervous again thinking what if it doesn't go down, what should I do? Go to the emergency room! but it did go down. It actually felt kind of good.

So now I am obsessed with all these things and I'm watching and thinking about everything way too much. I hope its all ok and I go back to where I was before I quit... with hair.

But thanks for asking.

Take a step back and objectively go through your concerns one-by-one, this will help put to rest some anxieties about side effects. It can very well turn into a form of self-fulfilling of adverse effects when you do not have them in reality. This is why I think a good portion of people who purport to have ED from finasteride fulfilled it themselves after reading a lot of negative things about it.

Anyway, keep us informed on progress, it's reasonable to assume it will grow back--you likely just had a rebound shed that you would have undergone had you not been on finasertide.

Please don't stress or think about it, iv been there with major sides and stressing/anxiety makes things worse! Relax, he lad have sex don't stress or think about it! I'm now 3 years later using FIN that gave me the worst sides anyone could have, yet 3 years down the line I'm on the drug and doing great no sides .

Quote Originally Posted by Localguy View Post
    Now the bad news...I'm so sorry I learned about all these side effects, thanks web-sites. I was better off not knowing.
    Because now I think I have everything! I'm not sure if its in my head or real but my dick is shrinking, my boobs are growing and I have brain fog. Also it seems like I have to pee every few minutes.
    The first thing you should have done when you lost all of your hair was go back to your doctor, show him your head, then tell him off. This is a very important story that you tell. People need to know what can happen when you make a rash decision and quit fin after so many years. They don't realize everything that it actually has been doing all those years. Pics of your full head of hair, and pics after quitting fin would make an even stronger point.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Localguy View Post
    I'm 58yrs old. I was on fins for 13 yrs. and had great results keeping my hair. It was thick, fast growing and I had no hair loss all these years. It was so easy to take that little crumb every morning and I never even thought about going bald. I started it back then because of a small bald spot on my crown. My Dr. said try this pill it might regrow that spot, and it did within a few months, so I kept taking it.

Now 13 years later my new doctor asked my why I was taking that crap and that it will prevent me from ever getting an erection again. So I panicked and thought about the sides I did have and thought I better quit taking it. I used to think the ED I had was more from high blood pressure, cholesterol and being over weight and getting older.
    So like a fool I just stopped it cold turkey with out doing any research and within 2 weeks I started to find hairs everywhere. Within 4 weeks I was scooping palm fulls of hair out of the drain and seeing my scalp and massive hair loss.

So not knowing what to do I started taking it again. Now 8 weeks after I quit I am still loosing hairs and I am almost completely bald on top. My sides and back have thinned out a lot also and it seems like my hair stopped growing altogether. Even my beard seems to have slowed down, I used to need to shave every morning and now its every 3 days or so. I never would have thought I would lose so much hair so fast.
    I did go see my dermatologist who is a hair transplant guy, and he just said to stay on the fins. He tried to say it will grow back but wasn't very convincing.
    Does anyone have any experience with regrowing hair after loosing so much this way? Is it even possible?

It seems like it fell out way too fast, could it be something else?
    I have a Dr. appointment next week to have some blood work done.
    This is horrible, to go from having a full head of hair 2 months ago to this and its not stopping. I can't face anybody, I know I'm older than most of you guys and shouldn't care that much, but I do. I can't believe I just stopped it without realizing this could happen, and so fast.
    So being on Fins again, is there any hope?
    Working at Dr. Cole's office, I meet a lot of men with similar issues. We have a number of older patients, so yes, we still care about how we look when we get into our sixties and seventies. I know of a man who had massive hair loss while using Avodart for around 9 years. Although a depressing situation, his hair grew back.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Artista, heard you on latest show. who is doc that you get your generic from?

Chuck, in your experience when avodart or propecia stop working is the hair loss gradual or sudden. I am asking when it starts loosing effect in long term users.The original poster stopped cold turkey, his DHT probably spiked, causing the mass loss.

What have u seen at Dr Coles with different patients?

Quote Originally Posted by ljpviper View Post
    Chuck, in your experience when avodart or propecia stop working is the hair loss gradual or sudden. I am asking when it starts loosing effect in long term users.The original poster stopped cold turkey, his DHT probably spiked, causing the mass loss.

What have u seen at Dr Coles with different patients?
    Some of Dr. Cole's patients could not or would not tolerate finasteride or dutasteride side effects. Others appear to tolerate it well and have very healthy looking hair on top that often appears feminine and I'm not saying that in a negative way.

I have never taken finasteride or dutasteride, so I'm not up to speed on it as someone might be who researched and uses it. I have not read any studies that indicate finasteride loses its effectiveness over time. Some have compared finasteride and dutasteride to a dam holding back flood waters. I believe it is effective. Dr. Bernstein has some impressive photos on his website of patients whose experience with finasteride looks like a 2,000 to 3,000 graft hair transplant. Here is an article on the FDA website that gets into some details.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

I have been on proscar from 94-02 then avodart 02 to present. Have lost a lot of ground this year. I am 43, just wondering if old age is over powering the meds, lol. We all have to get old..

Quote Originally Posted by ljpviper View Post
    I have been on proscar from 94-02 then avodart 02 to present. Have lost a lot of ground this year. I am 43, just wondering if old age is over powering the meds, lol. We all have to get old..
    That's an excellent question. One would think the lower testosterone levels beyond 14-20+ years of age would be easier to manage. Some claim that increased testosterone levels will not cause corresponding increased levels of DHT. I asked that question of a hair restoration doctor practicing in Arizona who does a fair amount of hair growth research. She believes that increased testosterone levels do in fact translate into higher levels of DHT. Not sure if there are any studies related to that though.

Hopefully better treatments are on their way. Cotsarelis has done some great hair loss/growth studies. If nothing materializes from that research within the next couple of years in the form of a PGD2 blocker, we could possibly be in for a 10+ year or more wait. Cosmo is in the process of developing a topical product hyped (possibly) as superior to Avodart and Propecia without side effects. At this stage it is referred to as CB-03-01. A lot of forum posters are hopeful this could be the real deal.
    Chuck