Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShookOnes
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by hellouser
    NOTHING. Literally, nothing.... and its a ****ing shame that that is the reality.

Considering we've already been saying it for 20...... TWENTY!! years, this doesn't change much. It just goes to show the lack of effort thats been put forth in solving this god damn disease and how much society wants us to STAY bald. Remember, the Positional Good Theory is real.

completely and utterly true. no point talking about it on a forum though, maybe in a diary.

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by burtandernie
      I think a lot of guys would be really suprised how much of a subtle difference changes in hair really make to how other people view you. A lot of it they might not even really consciously think about or deny if asked so its almost impossible ever measure or test it, but it makes a difference even going a single higher NW or some change in density can make you look older.
      Absolutely.

Guys on here moan that I am just a NW2, but when your hairline is no longer framing your face how it used too, you end up looking different - in my case uglier.

Comment

• hellouser
        • May 2012

Originally posted by yeahyeahyeah
        Absolutely.

Guys on here moan that I am just a NW2, but when your hairline is no longer framing your face how it used too, you end up looking different - in my case uglier.
        Same problem here. I no longer turn heads... well, I do..... the other way.

Comment

• Haircure
          • May 2014

NOTHING. Literally, nothing.... and its a ****ing shame that that is the reality.

Considering we've already been saying it for 20...... TWENTY!! years, this doesn't change much. It just goes to show the lack of effort thats been put forth in solving this god damn disease and how much society wants us to STAY bald. Remember, the Positional Good Theory is real.
          Yes, we haven't had anything in over 20 years in terms of another treatment for hairloss. But the major factor in this that most people often forget is the amount of research that took place back then as compared to how much is being done now. Hairloss research was not as prominent 20 years ago as it is now, so it does look like it's going at a snails pace, but it also makes sense given how little it was being studied. But , the good news is that there are more and more research teams and drug companies looking into hairloss, and that progress should be made much quicker than 20 years ago. Even so, I think people need to understand that hair loss research is very small compared to what is being done in other areas of medicine, so you need to be realistic and not compare it to how we can create organs, or other medical breakthroughs that obviously have much more literature and past research involved.

Comment

• hellouser
            • May 2012

Originally posted by Haircure
            Yes, we haven't had anything in over 20 years in terms of another treatment for hairloss. But the major factor in this that most people often forget is the amount of research that took place back then as compared to how much is being done now. Hairloss research was not as prominent 20 years ago as it is now, so it does look like it's going at a snails pace, but it also makes sense given how little it was being studied. But , the good news is that there are more and more research teams and drug companies looking into hairloss, and that progress should be made much quicker than 20 years ago. Even so, I think people need to understand that hair loss research is very small compared to what is being done in other areas of medicine, so you need to be realistic and not compare it to how we can create organs, or other medical breakthroughs that obviously have much more literature and past research involved.
            I'm having a very difficult time accepting excuses for all the research that's happened in the last 10+ years. 2014 and the best technology we have is the same garbage we had 20 years ago... or some magic pixie dust you can sprinkle on your bald head to create 'fibers' from a bottle with the name Caboki on it. Does that kind of progress not seem pathetic to you?

Comment

• Haircure
              • May 2014

I'm having a very difficult time accepting excuses for all the research that's happened in the last 10+ years. 2014 and the best technology we have is the same garbage we had 20 years ago... or some magic pixie dust you can sprinkle on your bald head to create 'fibers' from a bottle with the name Caboki on it. Does that kind of progress not seem pathetic to you?
              Well I guess you have to keep in mind that there are at best only a handful of teams/companies working on hairloss research, and it's not like they started with a great deal of background information. I think maybe that you are a little narrow minded in expecting something so soon from an area with relatively little research and resources. And I don't think you can count the lack of a treatment from previous teams/companies as excuses. It's not like they aren't trying or just wasting time, it's likely due to hurdles such as lack in efficacy and or effectiveness in their treatments. You can't expect every company that tries to create a treatment to succeed.

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
                • Nov 2011

Same problem here. I no longer turn heads... well, I do..... the other way.
                The worse thing is mate, I would get a HT to correct my hairline. But what these HTs doctors don't understand, the only thing holding me back is not being able to maintain my native hair behind the transplanted hair after treatment - without using propecia.

So I don't understand WHY HTs doctors are not urgently trying to get a better solution out onto the market for maintenance, as they are losing potential clients in the process. i.e. low norwood guys like me.

Comment

• Scientalk56
                  • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Arashi
                  Well you can see everything here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJn...bGaoOWFS6kRxDQ

Most of the video's are quite technical but most of them are understandable on a general level. Most interesting video I think is from Beren Atac, where she demonstrates that bio reactor. I always figured, if you grow organs in the lab, how do you 'feed' the cells and how do you make sure blood is pumping along the right way while the organ is growing ? That's all that that bio reactor does ! So a great great tool.

Other than that, pretty much everybody nowadays seems to be working to solve the 'final' piece of the puzzle: improving the hair inducing ability of cultured DP cells. But nobody knows what the 'missing link' is there. The most obvious things have been tried, all to no success. Maybe somebody gets it working tomorrow. But then again, maybe it will take 30 years. I think it's impossible for anyone to say something useful about that. A decade ago the 'missing link' was 'just' to culture DP cells. We've made some success now in that decade but who knows how long the last part will take ... Optimists will say we're really close now and it even could be any day now. Pessimists will say that it wont happen in our lifetime ...
                  Great link! Thank you Arashi!

Comment

• Scientalk56
                    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by sascha
                    Why don´t we just call in one time and ask spencer if he could give an all-around-update.
                    I am sure he spoke with Cotsarelis by now and knows definitly more about Histogen, Replicel, Dr. Wesley, Tu Berlin & Co. Hair transplants and robots sound cool and s***, but an update would be nice.
                    We really should ask spencer about that... how can we do that?

Comment

• hellouser
                      • May 2012

Originally posted by Haircure
                      Well I guess you have to keep in mind that there are at best only a handful of teams/companies working on hairloss research, and it's not like they started with a great deal of background information. I think maybe that you are a little narrow minded in expecting something so soon from an area with relatively little research and resources. And I don't think you can count the lack of a treatment from previous teams/companies as excuses. It's not like they aren't trying or just wasting time, it's likely due to hurdles such as lack in efficacy and or effectiveness in their treatments. You can't expect every company that tries to create a treatment to succeed.
                      It's been decades... I don't give praise for mediocrity. Even Jahoda laughed at himself in a recent interview where he said 30 years ago he thought he'd solve it soon and said his hair went grey before all that.

Comment

• sascha
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Scientalk56
                        We really should ask spencer about that... how can we do that?
                        I guess when he does his weekly show somebody could call in and ask. I would do it, but over here in Europe the time is not really great to call in when he does his show hahah would be nice to dedicate a whole show, or at least at good 50% of it to the future, because a lot of us are interested in it and if somebody knows its him. He doesn´t owe us to tell something, but he is a good guy and will understand

Comment

• ShookOnes
                          • Jun 2014

It's been decades... I don't give praise for mediocrity. Even Jahoda laughed at himself in a recent interview where he said 30 years ago he thought he'd solve it soon and said his hair went grey before all that.

Hair loss has no way even remotely close the same brilliant minds in NASA, HIV, etc. expect hair loss to remain one of the slowest fields. cb0301 is backed by a billion dollar company, things are changing. Just annoying you repeat what EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS. Almost as bad as 35yearsold we get it buddy.

Comment

• kobefan234
                            • Nov 2013

you could not view this forum for 10 years, and nothing the public can use will be available.

Comment

• ShookOnes
                              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by kobefan234
                              you could not view this forum for 10 years, and nothing the public can use will be available.
                              pilofocus at least..

Comment

• Swooping
                                • May 2014

Originally posted by ShookOnes
                                Hair loss has no way even remotely close the same brilliant minds in NASA, HIV, etc. expect hair loss to remain one of the slowest fields. cb0301 is backed by a billion dollar company, things are changing. Just annoying you repeat what EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS. Almost as bad as 35yearsold we get it buddy.
                                True, in my opinion we don't even have really those competitive "brilliant" people working on hair loss related fields. I would rate A.M Christiano way above everyone in the field but unfortunately she is working on other hair related disorders than AGA . Her approach is very solid too. But indeed, this will remain one of the slowest fields. I'll give you 110% that before we'll be having perfectly cultured hair follicles, we'll have a perfect cultured heart available.

Comment

Working...