+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

regarding follica, we now know that follica has created follicles. the hairs are miniaturized. their next step is to find something to make them grow terminal hair. from desmond's interview they are far from achieving good results.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    Cotsarelis is not going to give away any company information in a informal discussion like he had with Desmond. It would be counter productive to their business strategy considering where they are in terms of progress towards a commercial release. I would wager that a mis-direction would be more probable than anything else. Dr Cots is under no mis-perceptions about how much a truly effective MPB treatment would be worth. Why would he jeopardize anything at this stage with a careless information leak to some random person at a hair conference? 100's of millions, possibly a billion or more dollars are at stake. So, i wouldn't read too much into Desmond's report on Cots.
    Then why would he ask Desmond if we were willing to crowd fund him a couple million for a treatment release? Also if I recall correctly, Follica's president or CEO resigned some months back, and although I recall he cited his reasons being that he wanted to work on something else,I think that follica is at a roadblock.

That website is a squarespace website (free). Their old one was a custom one. Probably another sign that they are lacking funds and can't even pay for someone to make and maintain a site.

Cots never asked Desmond to be crowd funded.

Websites need little to no maintenance and the cost is easily afforded by most individuals, never mind an incorporated company backed by venture capitalists. Furthermore, they not only reworked the website, but, updated it with new information - Desmond's video and a new article. So, clearly the new one is being maintained and kept active...which contradicts your assumptions

And their old website was not hi-tech by any stretch of the imagination. What about it makes you think it was custom? It looked about as non-custom as a website can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Haircure View Post
    Then why would he ask Desmond if we were willing to crowd fund him a couple million for a treatment release? Also if I recall correctly, Follica's president or CEO resigned some months back, and although I recall he cited his reasons being that he wanted to work on something else,I think that follica is at a roadblock.
    They might be stuck. Its just that i find it difficult to posit a rationale for posting the new video and an article and the new website if they're truly stuck. It's not like they're a public company (like Replicel) and need to drum up investor money to move forward. Puretech ventures is a venture capital firm ....they have bags of money and can provide it to move things forward.

Total speculation here: but, my guess is that the CEO and other staff did not leave, they were let go by Puretech. The science of the concept is actually pretty straightforward. And really, based on Cot's talk/s, it's just a matter of them finding the right drug to combine with their wounding protocol. They have already managed to create "substantial hair" and "are moving forward", quoting (maybe paraphrasing) Bernat Olle, so they are having some success already. If their protocols are well worked out and easy to implement, then the whole project is easily outsourced. They just have to screen various drugs in their wounding assay, which any contract lab could perform for substantially cheaper than the cost of carrying a full scientific staff and research opertation. So why pay a CEO a huge salary/benefits etc.. along with the other staff when you and the technical advisors can manage the project yourself through outsourcing?

That's my hopeful speculation for the week. Most likely not the case, but, as someone who's about to step off the NW2 ledge and enter the brutality of NW3+ stages, i need something to pin my hopes on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    They might be stuck. Its just that i find it difficult to posit a rationale for posting the new video and an article and the new website if they're truly stuck. It's not like they're a public company (like Replicel) and need to drum up investor money to move forward. Puretech ventures is a venture capital firm ....they have bags of money and can provide it to move things forward.

Total speculation here: but, my guess is that the CEO and other staff did not leave, they were let go by Puretech. The science of the concept is actually pretty straightforward. And really, based on Cot's talk/s, it's just a matter of them finding the right drug to combine with their wounding protocol. They have already managed to create "substantial hair" and "are moving forward", quoting (maybe paraphrasing) Bernat Olle, so they are having some success already. If their protocols are well worked out and easy to implement, then the whole project is easily outsourced. They just have to screen various drugs in their wounding assay, which any contract lab could perform for substantially cheaper than the cost of carrying a full scientific staff and research opertation. So why pay a CEO a huge salary/benefits etc.. along with the other staff when you and the technical advisors can manage the project yourself through outsourcing?

That's my hopeful speculation for the week. Most likely not the case, but, as someone who's about to step off the NW2 ledge and enter the brutality of NW3+ stages, i need something to pin my hopes on.

I don't think there's any mystery. Cotsarellis told desmond what was up. bottom line is they don't have anything yet but will continue to work on it, and need more money like everyone always does.

Garza is buddies with them and is still testing PGD2 compounds. I personally think that people like lauster are going to end up making viable new follicle germs before follica ever gets the wounding thing to be effective, it simply is more advanced and less dependent on the body's complicated chemical signals. I think the next 20 yrs are going to see a windfall of new options, as you'll see in every other branch of medicine. Stem cell science is real and it works, but they are just getting started. The sucky thing is being stuck in the age of the model T. I really really hope that replicel and CB don't end up failing, though I can see that happening too. need something to maintain for the many years until they really figure this out

What is this thread regarding?