+ Reply to Thread

Default A Womans experience of hair surgery. UK

I am now almost 42 years of age , and have suffered with hair loss since my teens ( pretty much puberty kicked in and hair went!)
    This has always had a MASSIVE effect on my self esteem as I always felt ugly, and different to everyone else. I avoided social situations as I felt people were looking at my hair line, and it affected my confidence in holding a normal conversation. I developed anxiety and a social phobia as a result.
    It also affected relationships ( due to depression, low self esteem etc)
    I would avoid the sun ( scalp could be seen) Windy days were a nightmare of hat cover ups and hair clips etc. I learnt how to hide my hair with a good hair cut and side parting, but have always been badly affected by it.
    I have tried thickening shampoos and conditioners, serums, sprays, vitamin tablets ...you name it,I tried it!!
    So this year and after a year of particular depression and misery, I decided to do something about it and looked into getting hair surgery ( which was a massive thing for me as my social phobia makes it difficult to hold discussions without getting tongue tied and feeling anxious)
    After much research and several phone calls, I found a clinic and went for a consultation.
    The process was relatively easy albeit I had to travel to London ( daughter came with me for support) and they took photos, discussed my health etc. The surgeon insisted on blood tests to ensure there were no health reasons ( thyroid etc) and this had to be done through my doctor which took a few weeks for results etc.
    It was actually a relief to know that I did not have a medical reason for it, and also to be told that my vitamin and iron levels are all good and that basically I am fit and healthy. !!
    So in May this year I spent a life changing day, being looked after by amazing staff and a surgeon ( Dr Diaz ) with a sense of humour ( telling me that he had shaky hands so to keep an eye ). The process was thoroughly explained every step of the way and 8 hours later I was on my way home. I had the strip technique surgery and therefore stitches which were covered by my remaining hair. The painkillers numbed the pain and I can honestly say that other than a little discomfort at night, and some facial swelling, It was overall a positive experience. I took 10 days off work and I am very glad that I did.

I had 1750 grafts which is pretty much the max for a woman. For men the options can be much greater.

I am now 2 months post op with a hair line scar that is barely visible and I am excited to report that my hair is starting to sprout through!
    For anyone considering this, Please be advised that it is not an overnight cure, nor is it suitable for everyone. The results can take up to a year and I have no idea of how much difference it will make to my density,but I will keep you updated.
    I hope that sharing my positive experience will help other women and men in their chosen paths to helping their hair loss.
    My surgery was carried out by Dr Diaz https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite...3816659?ref=hl

I was able to upload some photos to the FB page for the surgeon to do a preliminary observation which was followed by a consultation once I had plucked up the courage!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140620_175209.jpg

Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	33532   Click image for larger version

Name:	hair crop.jpg

Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	33533   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre hair surgery.jpg

Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	33534  

restoremyglory,

Please allow me to kindly congratulate you on a wonderful and transparent story. It takes a fair amount of courage to share your pics and experience with us. Trust me, there are undoubtedly a fair amount of other women in the same situation as you and yes, hair loss for females can be more difficult to deal with IMHO.

Many women lose hair in the Ludwig pattern of thinning which is generalized thinning throughout the scalp. Some of them simply do not realize that genetic hair loss can indeed happen to females as well as males. Have you ever tried Rogaine for women? That could potentially rejuvenate some additional growth but the downside is that it can also induce a shed from the initial first time use. And once you start it, you have to keep using it or again, a shed could occur. You don't however need the Rogaine (minoxidil) for the transplanted hair, and that's the good news.

When everything grows out, I think you will find that you will be able to wear your hair in more styles utilizing the grown out length to brush back or to the sides. You would be surprised how much difference your graft count can make in longer hair length once the hair shafts grow out. Blow drying the new hair mass will also produce a visual sense of more body and fullness.

And because your general health is good, your yield should be very good. It will take approximately 12 months to gain 6 inches of length but again, it will make a favorable impact on both your appearance and confidence...

So thanks again for sharing your story and experience. Not many women would want to come out and share their photos. And in my experience over the years, hair loss can be tougher for females to deal with because whether it's fair or not, people tend to expect women to have hair and not without it.

Lastly, I was happy for you to read that your surgeon did a smaller to medium range procedure and not sell you a larger one that could have caused or induced a higher level of shock loss. You might experience some shock loss from it, but your graft count was at a level that should not have caused an over-abundance of trauma. If you heal normally, you will be well on your way to more hair mass!

Now you can relax, heal well, and be on your way to an improved level of enjoying your life! Take care restoremyglory, and keep us in the loop as to your progress...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin