Threaded View

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Carlos Wesley, MD's Avatar

Lightbulb Article on piloscopy...

To those requesting an update on Pilofocus, here is an article recently published in "The Verge". While both informative and somewhat provocative, the story contains a few points that require clarification:

1) The patient quoted with a large, red donor scar is not actually a surgical patient of mine, but rather a patient with whom I had a consultation as he sought treatment for his cosmetically-unacceptable surgical scar that he received after having undergone surgery with a different surgeon at a different location.

2) Amongst the many interviews I granted to the journalist, one took place immediately following a very in-depth consultation during which I counseled a severely-depressed teenager. Although his hair loss was his stated source of depression, I also worked to find him a psychiatrist that has helped him through his clinical depression. This is a rare instance and certainly does not reflect the majority of the healthy and confident patients with whom I meet. I was, therefore, disappointed in the otherwise well-written article when I felt that this unique psychiatric referral was presented as my preferred treatment for many. It falsely portrays our medical issue of hair loss as frivolous when, in reality, I feel so strongly about its importance that I have dedicated my professional career to treating it.

Carlos Wesley, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

1050 Fifth Avenue
    New York, NY 10028
    844-745-6362
    http://www.drcarloswesley.com
    info@drcarloswesley.com