+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast

Is it correct to say with this method there will be regeneration in the donor area?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Wesley, MD View Post
    Hi, all.

The Bald Truth recently posted highlights from my lecture delivered in Chicago last week at the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery conference.

Here's the link to their thread.

Enjoy!

I can't get into the utube presentation. It says password required. It would be nice if you could make it possible for someone to see the presentation without the person having to go through a bunch of rigmarole.

we already know that hair follicle regneration from two splitted halves is possible, but what many seem to forget is the resulting diameter of the regenerated follicles.
    until now nobody was able to regenerate a follicle with nearly the same diameter. the diameter was in all cases around 30 to 50% thinner.
    a 30% smaller diameter means that the overall volume of the single hair is halved. it looks extremely thin then. diameter is what gives the hair robustness and volume.

so, if dr. wesley can't regenerate the splitted halves with at least 90% of it's initial diameter, then it's totally useless. i'm not sure if acell and similar mixtures are able to do that.

i think, donor regeneration is a dead end.
    if wesley could achieve the required 90% diameter consistently, then it would be a defacto cure.
    if not, then pilofocus is almost pointless anyway, like hair transplants in general.
    i hope the era of hair transplants will end in a few years when we finally see the real cure happing (with wounding or iPS approach).
    i'm sick of discussing stone-age treatments like hair transplants.

Quote Originally Posted by joachim View Post
    we already know that hair follicle regneration from two splitted halves is possible, but what many seem to forget is the resulting diameter of the regenerated follicles.
    until now nobody was able to regenerate a follicle with nearly the same diameter. the diameter was in all cases around 30 to 50% thinner.
    a 30% smaller diameter means that the overall volume of the single hair is halved. it looks extremely thin then. diameter is what gives the hair robustness and volume.

so, if dr. wesley can't regenerate the splitted halves with at least 90% of it's initial diameter, then it's totally useless. i'm not sure if acell and similar mixtures are able to do that.

if wesley could achieve the required 90% diameter consistently, then it would be a defacto cure.
    if not, then pilofocus is almost pointless anyway, like hair transplants in general.
    i hope the era of hair transplants will end in a few years when we finally see the real cure happing (with wounding or iPS approach).
    That's a pretty bold take on transplants. They've come a long way in a relatively short period. Saying that they're 'pointless' isn't really fair. Have you seen how much better a guy like Wes Welker looks? You wouldn't be able to tell he ever had thinning hair. Transplants are certainly limited, but they've also made a lot of guys look much, much better IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Trouse5858 View Post
    That's a pretty bold take on transplants. They've come a long way in a relatively short period. Saying that they're 'pointless' isn't really fair. Have you seen how much better a guy like Wes Welker looks? You wouldn't be able to tell he ever had thinning hair. Transplants are certainly limited, but they've also made a lot of guys look much, much better IMO
    true. but the limitations is what makes me angry. also, many transplants have gone wrong in the past, with unsatisfying or even horrifying results.
    there are only a handful of HT docs on the world who can create good results. that alone is a pain in the a.s.s.
    if you are new to the HT world and don't do research for weeks and months in forums like this, the chance is very high to get a HT done with bad results. happened to two of my friends.

and with HTs being pointless, i mean that in a few years with stem cell or wounding approaches leading to a cure, transplants will be soon a thing of the past. it's only an intermediate step until the full cure is here. simply because there is no other and better option.

this is similar to hybrid cars which have always been pointless because everyone knew at that time already that only the full-electric car is the future. hybrid cars are fuc* ing complex and expensive, but the industry tried to bridge the gap until electric cars get mainstream. tesla did the first step already and showed the world how to do it. now the others have to catch up and in a few years, when the battery price is reduced to a reasonable price, then there's no other way to go.
    and still, some desperate car makers like toyota are trying to push their hydrogen fuel cell cars as the next revolution. this is just dumb, but also a kind of intermediate step to try push some good revenue for another 10 years.

and now, the time has come that HTs and pilofocus are getting more and more pointless. only a matter of years, but soon the waiting game and nightmare will be over.

true. but the limitations is what makes me angry. also, many transplants have gone wrong in the past, with unsatisfying or even horrifying results.
    there are only a handful of HT docs on the world who can create good results. that alone is a pain in the a.s.s.
    if you are new to the HT world and don't do research for weeks and months in forums like this, the chance is very high to get a HT done with bad results. happened to two of my friends.

and with HTs being pointless, i mean that in a few years with stem cell or wounding approaches leading to a cure, transplants will be soon a thing of the past. it's only an intermediate step until the full cure is here. simply because there is no other and better option.

this is similar to hybrid cars which have always been pointless because everyone knew at that time already that only the full-electric car is the future. hybrid cars are fuc* ing complex and expensive, but the industry tried to bridge the gap until electric cars get mainstream. tesla did the first step already and showed the world how to do it. now the others have to catch up and in a few years, when the battery price is reduced to a reasonable price, then there's no other way to go.
    and still, some desperate car makers like toyota are trying to push their hydrogen fuel cell cars as the next revolution. this is just dumb, but also a kind of intermediate step to try push some good revenue for another 10 years.

and now, the time has come that HTs and pilofocus are getting more and more pointless. only a matter of years, but soon the waiting game and nightmare will be over.

Why do you (and others) consistently say "only a few more years"? There is absolutely nothing that's shown promising results in humans that are equal to or better than fin, minox or a HT. Sure, there are a few things that look promising (scientifically), but can you name one product that actually has results available that look good? It's good to be positive, but I see a HT as being the only long-term option for awhile (especially when you consider they're still improving), though I hope I'm wrong.

You're dreaming if you think a cure is right around the corner. It's not - it's at least seven to ten years away, and that's if everything goes smoothly. So until then, what are you going to do? Suffer for an eight of your life while you wait for something that may or may not arrive? Some people don't feel like wasting a good chunk of the best years of their life when there is a viable option in the form of a hair transplant? Transplants can be transformative in a way that no other current treatments can be. There are drawbacks, but Piloscopy seems to address at least on of the big ones - scars.

I agree with hemo. All the cell based therapies are still in the research phase except for replicel. Dr wesley has achieved a monumental feet in hair restoration industry and We should all be thankful to him. His method will drive down the cost of fue and fut procedures dramatically. On the other hand, doctors who offer his method will charge a premium.

Scarless hair transplant is huge, piloscopy here I come!!

The italian study notes the following (http://www.researchgate.net/publicat...ons_Involved);

We found that the caliber of hairs re-generated from entire follicles was 96.1% with respect to original donor hairs (100%). The new hairs obtained from bisected follicles were slightly finer than the donor hairs, although we found no difference in caliber between regenerated hairs de-rived from the upper (75.378.2%) or lower portion (74.474.1%) (Table 2).
    This means only a ~5% decrease of hair caliber.. Not much at all.

Hair transplants furthermore have come a long way imo. Good results are indistinguishable. I agree with you that regenerative therapies are really taking up pace now and will eventually provide a cure. However this will still take pretty damn long unfortunately. Donor doubling would be indeed a defacto cure and extremely awesome. Perhaps a reality someday perhaps a dream. However the proof of concept is there and the best thing is that hair transplant surgeons have access to perfect biological models; humans. So they can rapidly trial & error. Way better than rodent models.

I already applaud FUT level graft quality and scarless surgery though.

Btw Joachim you are right my mistake sorry. The decrease of diameter by duplication seems indeed bigger 25%, not 5%!