+ Reply to Thread

Default Hair Transplant NYC

Hello everyone..i am new to the forum and was hoping you guys might be able to assist me with finding a good doctor in the New York area. I am 28 years old and have suffered for many years with male pattern baldness and have tried propecia but unfortunately had side effects and was forced to discontinue. I did use rogaine as well but that caused my scalp to start peeling at a rapid rate and had to stop using that as well. So at this point my hair loss has come from the crown area. Its gotten to the point now where most of my hair is gone and what i have in the front is all that protects me from looking bald even though that has now started to fade and can now be seen through. Sorry for the long run on sentences lol. If I comb down my front hair you practically can see my entire scalp. I have often thought about shaving my head but due to my job and opinion of girlfriend have decided that having hair is the way to go. So with that being said I would really appreciate anything you guys can tell me. I know with this type of procedure expectations should be low to get back the head of hair I used to have but if I can have something on my head that looks decent I can live with that. Thank you all for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by lookingforhelp View Post
    Hello everyone..i am new to the forum and was hoping you guys might be able to assist me with finding a good doctor in the New York area. I am 28 years old and have suffered for many years with male pattern baldness and have tried propecia but unfortunately had side effects and was forced to discontinue. I did use rogaine as well but that caused my scalp to start peeling at a rapid rate and had to stop using that as well. So at this point my hair loss has come from the crown area. Its gotten to the point now where most of my hair is gone and what i have in the front is all that protects me from looking bald even though that has now started to fade and can now be seen through. Sorry for the long run on sentences lol. If I comb down my front hair you practically can see my entire scalp. I have often thought about shaving my head but due to my job and opinion of girlfriend have decided that having hair is the way to go. So with that being said I would really appreciate anything you guys can tell me. I know with this type of procedure expectations should be low to get back the head of hair I used to have but if I can have something on my head that looks decent I can live with that. Thank you all for your help.
    Welcome to the forum. Since you were forced to stop using Propecia, the decision to have a hair transplant can be even more difficult. You really have to use your donor hair wisely. Concentrating on the crown is a really bad idea for most people since it takes so many grafts to even make a dent. It’s probably best to use your donor hair to reinforce your hair line as you continue to progress. This is really what changes your looks. If you were able to take Propecia, the game plan might be less conservative but you really have to take this into account.

There are some really great HT surgeons in the New York area so you should check out the IAHRS. There a list of doctors on this forum https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...splant-Surgeon

You should also consider traveling if you think there’s a doctor who you would prefer to go to out of state. It’s good that you understand that having realistic expectations is important especially if you have aggressive hair loss.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by J_B_Davis View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Since you were forced to stop using Propecia, the decision to have a hair transplant can be even more difficult. You really have to use your donor hair wisely. Concentrating on the crown is a really bad idea for most people since it takes so many grafts to even make a dent. It’s probably best to use your donor hair to reinforce your hair line as you continue to progress. This is really what changes your looks. If you were able to take Propecia, the game plan might be less conservative but you really have to take this into account.

There are some really great HT surgeons in the New York area so you should check out the IAHRS. There a list of doctors on this forum https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...splant-Surgeon

You should also consider traveling if you think there’s a doctor who you would prefer to go to out of state. It’s good that you understand that having realistic expectations is important especially if you have aggressive hair loss.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you for your help. Would you recommend getting a hair transplant without being able to use propecia? I have heard that it is something that is usually prescribed after. I had to stop because of the sexual side effects...even after i stopped my body was in a state of flux because of the lack of testosterone. One week I was back and the next I wasnt...now I am fine but I have no desire to ever try that drug again.

looking,

Lots of words of wisdom from JB and I reiterate regarding doing anything in your crown. By your own words, it's a matter of time before you lose your frontal zone and that becomes more of an issue to most of us who experience loss from front to back.

Chances are, some of the men in your family history have reached the advanced classes of hair loss as depicted on the Norwood scale? Without Propecia, that's where you are headed. So I highly advise that you get more advice from a licensed physician regarding taking low dose finasteride less frequently which may help dissipate your side-effects. They may not subside but you will never know until you use it at a reduced level under a doctor's supervision and advice.

If you have a strong donor, then you can achieve a more conservative frontal hairline, situated more high and at less density because you will inevitably need more procedures as times goes by. If you can live with a buzzed style, that's a lot cheaper and less challenging than having multiple HT procedures.

If you must have hair, simply look at the recommended doctor's in NY within this community and make appointments to see them in person.

Wishing you the best in your journey...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin