+ Reply to Thread

Default Advice for a possible Norwood 6?

Apologies if this is a similar post to one i've made before...

I'm a 28yo with a hairpiece. Started losing my hair in my early 20's pretty quick so I got a FUT which was terribly done in my opinion. I experience much shock loss and I continued to lose my hair so I went with a hairpiece. I'm really sick of wearing it and I want to shave my head but the scar is really noticeable. So...

I wanted to see what anyone would recommend as far as maybe a FUE, scar repair, etc.

My idea was maybe to take a few weeks off of work, take the piece off, get a FUE and just keep the hair short while maybe working on handling the scar (not sure how to really do this, but i hear there are some rollers that may help?). I'm aware i'll still look pretty bald, but have a bit more coverage with the FUE. Maybe even do a micropigmentation to make up for the rest? Thoughts welcome!

I attached some pictures with the piece off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 11.49.16 AM.jpg

Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	33376Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-07 at 11.48.41 AM.jpg

Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	33377Click image for larger version

Name:	back scar.jpg

Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	33378

Quote Originally Posted by fauxhawk View Post
    Apologies if this is a similar post to one i've made before...

I'm a 28yo with a hairpiece. Started losing my hair in my early 20's pretty quick so I got a FUT which was terribly done in my opinion. I experience much shock loss and I continued to lose my hair so I went with a hairpiece. I'm really sick of wearing it and I want to shave my head but the scar is really noticeable. So...

I wanted to see what anyone would recommend as far as maybe a FUE, scar repair, etc.

My idea was maybe to take a few weeks off of work, take the piece off, get a FUE and just keep the hair short while maybe working on handling the scar (not sure how to really do this, but i hear there are some rollers that may help?). I'm aware i'll still look pretty bald, but have a bit more coverage with the FUE. Maybe even do a micropigmentation to make up for the rest? Thoughts welcome!

I attached some pictures with the piece off.

Attachment 33376Attachment 33377Attachment 33378

Judging from your pictures, even if you let some of the shaved perimeter grow in, you’ll have a significant area of bald scalp to fill in. Doing an FUE to establish a hair line could be helpful since you are resigned to the fact that no matter what you do, you will never achieve a full head of hair. A combination of FUE and micro pigmentation might get you looking like you have a relatively full head of shaved hair, but we don’t know what the long term aesthetic consequences of SMP really are, and I think people who are doing it now have to be aware of the risk of fading and discoloration overtime.

It's a tough call-- a scar repair plus more transplants with your limited donor hair might mean $15,000 or more with very limited results. In a case like yours, I'd seriously consider SMP. Do your research and look at some of the images-- SMP can really help conceal the scar if nothing else. It also doesn't have to be permanent. You can opt for a temporary procedure that will last for 2 years or so. So you can test the waters so to speak. I'm sorry to say your options seem very limited at the present time. To be free of the hairpiece, conceal the scar, and maybe go with a faux, shaved down look, I think SMP is your only option right now. And who knows? in a few years there might be more options for you.

Can I ask why you find a hairpiece such a chore? I ask cause its the path that I will likely take sooner rather than later

Hi, sorry for my english since im from Uruguay, in my opinion u should go for FUE to fill the scar, and then fraxel or recell to improve the scar. Forget about a full head of hair. At least for now that we dont have clonation. Well...maye be your donor area is extremely good but i dont know, may be in that case u could choose for a complete restoration who knows.

Do you use finasteride, dutasteride or minoxidil?

If not, why don't you try that for a year and see where it gets you. Visit an FUE doctor right now and see where you stand, as far as repairing your scar, future HT's, how many grafts can they get out of you, eligibility, etc.

FIN and Min? He lost almost all his hair, fin and min wont do nothing in my opinion at this stage. If i were you i would choose to repair that scar and move on!