+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Xeljanz

Default Xeljanz

I'm sure many of you watched the video with Spencer and Dr. King, The discussion with Alopecia universalis. Well since they decided not to name the brand of arthritis medicine the young man had been taking I decided to do a little research for the name. The article is http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...arthritis-drug and list the drug name. Hopefully this will help bring MPB to a hault. Also, is anyone considering trying this? The kid hasn't experienced any side effects.

This has been brought up a few weeks ago and there is a thread on it in the cutting edge section. Long story short, it's extremely expensive $20000/year, has numerous and serious side effects, and it's not for MPB.

It would be awesome if someone would be willing to try it... I sure as hell would.

I am sure they are working on it though. I read that they are trying to convert it to a cream so it can be applied to where you want it.

Promising...

Quote Originally Posted by Haircure View Post
    This has been brought up a few weeks ago and there is a thread on it in the cutting edge section. Long story short, it's extremely expensive $20000/year, has numerous and serious side effects, and it's not for MPB.
    This has NOT been verified and such a statement is pure speculation of what it can or cannot do for MPB.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    This has NOT been verified and such a statement is pure speculation of what it can or cannot do for MPB.
    To back up what Hellhouser said:

"Neither doctor said he believes the drug will work for the common kind of baldness that comes with age. Cotsarelis was adamant about it because male pattern baldness isn't related to the immune system.

But King [the doctor that conducted the Xeljanz study] said he thinks conducting more research is worth a try.

"To not imagine it would be crazy," he said. "The possibility should be imagined and should be investigated."

Ok then look at it this way. Rheumatoid arthritis for which this drug had gone under trials for, normally occurs during middle age. Thousands of patients have undergone trials with drug and it is very likely that there were men with MPB as it is much more com an during middle age. So by that logic, after undergoing all those trials and taking in results, if this drug had any real effect for MPB, it would have been known to researchers during the patients follow up appointments. Yes you are right there is no confirmed fact that this doesn't do anything for MPB, but then again so are numerous other drugs and treatments. Think about it, alopecia areata and alopecia totalis are so rare it is statistically unlikely that anyone with rheumatoid arthritis and these conditions were involved in the previous drug trials, and it's only now we are seeing an anomaly with the patient that is found to have regrown all his hair. My point is, that at this point there is no reason to look into this drug due to the fact it has undergone trials, is incredibly expensive, and has numerous and serious side effects.

Ok then look at it this way. Rheumatoid arthritis for which this drug had gone under trials for, normally occurs during middle age. Thousands of patients have undergone trials with drug and it is very likely that there were men with MPB as it is much more com an during middle age. So by that logic, after undergoing all those trials and taking in results, if this drug had any real effect for MPB, it would have been known to researchers during the patients follow up appointments. Yes you are right there is no confirmed fact that this doesn't do anything for MPB, but then again so are numerous other drugs and treatments. Think about it, alopecia areata and alopecia totalis are so rare it is statistically unlikely that anyone with rheumatoid arthritis and these conditions were involved in the previous drug trials, and it's only now we are seeing an anomaly with the patient that is found to have regrown all his hair. My point is, that at this point there is no reason to look into this drug due to the fact it has undergone trials, is incredibly expensive, and has numerous and serious side effects.
    You're still speculating. No amount of personal feelings from you will change the fact that you have NO conclusive evidence that it doesn't work for MPB.

In other words: Prove it doesn't work.

You're still speculating. No amount of personal feelings from you will change the fact that you have NO conclusive evidence that it doesn't work for MPB.

In other words: Prove it doesn't work.
    Well speaking as a science student, I have been taught in university that science isn't about facts, rather it is about theories that have yet to be proven false. So can I prove Xeljanz is effective for hairloss? Obviously not, but in scientific studies you go with what is most likely to occur, so given that this drug has gone through thousands of patients and that there are other immunosuppressant drugs out there with similar effects which in turn have also gone through clinical trials and yet to my knowledge, none of them have reported hair growth in patients with MPB. So to answer your question, no it's not a "personal feeling" but based on what evidence that I know it's an educated assumption. You can ask the same question again for "X" drug but again you look at what we know about hairloss and choose which pathways are more suitable, rather than trying every drug out there to see if it can grow hair.

Well speaking as a science student, I have been taught in university that science isn't about facts, rather it is about theories that have yet to be proven false. So can I prove Xeljanz is effective for hairloss? Obviously not, but in scientific studies you go with what is most likely to occur, so given that this drug has gone through thousands of patients and that there are other immunosuppressant drugs out there with similar effects which in turn have also gone through clinical trials and yet to my knowledge, none of them have reported hair growth in patients with MPB. So to answer your question, no it's not a "personal feeling" but based on what evidence that I know it's an educated assumption. You can ask the same question again for "X" drug but again you look at what we know about hairloss and choose which pathways are more suitable, rather than trying every drug out there to see if it can grow hair.
    Well put.