+ Reply to Thread

Default Dutasteride vs. Finasteride and some finesteride questions.

I apologize if this is a duplicate topic.

I've been taking finesteride (started out with propecia) ever since it came out. I want to get off it and try something else.

I came across some info today about Dutasteride and according to the following link, it's better at blocking DHT and it can increase your testosterone level:

"Dutasteride caused scalp and serum dihydrotestosterone levels to decrease and testosterone levels to increase in a dose-dependent fashion."

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/reso...s-finasteride/

I find it hard to believe that it can increase T levels. If it is true, does this mean that Dutasteride doesn't have the libedo killing side effect that is supposedly associated with propecia and that's its better to take it vs finesteride?

Some other questions:
    1) I came across another drug today called RU that you can buy at a place such as Kane's and mix it your self. Does this stuff work and does it have any side effects?
    2) Since I've been using propecia/finesteride since it came out, is it still effective or does its effectiveness diminish over time?
    3) If you stop using it (finesteride), does your libedo recover over time?
    4) Vitamin D is also supposed to help. How many IU's and do you take it orally or inject it?

Thanks in advance to all who answer...

so you've been taking it for 20 years? yes usually fin's ability to help you will degrade by that time.

DUT would give you more side effects not less.

RU is a legitimate alternative if you want to try it out instead, although I probably would quit FIN cold turkey if you've been taking it so long, just try and ease off of it.

havent heard anything liek that about Vitamin D and i've been on this forum for 3 years

A 10 year study showed that the majority of fin users remained at or above baseline hairwise. We don't know about 20 years cause any evidence will be anecdotal.

Dut and fin both raise your testosterone levels cause they prevent test from being converted to DHT. Dut of course more so, which is why it raises your testosterone levels more.

RU is effective. Although all human reports are anecdotal. I am on RU as I couldn't deal with fin/dut sides. Its completely halted my hairloss, albeit I have experienced some side effects (libido mostly).

Generally, but not always your libido recovers after stopping fin.

Finally let me echo rdawg's statement - do not quit fin cold turkey. Slowly wean yourself off. You can really mess yourself up.