+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    Is fin supposed to work better with diffuse pattern hair loss?
    In my case it seems to be the case. I think we're also more responsive to minox, because my uncle grew back most of his hair that he had lost when he was in his early 20s.

Of course, the curse is seeing the doomed NW6 shape forming at 18. At 17 I had the luxurious black Asian hair. At 19 I had lost all my looks... but we're moving from the subject.

I had so little hair on top of my crown/horseshoe shape at the back that you could individually count each hair. It looked like I had gray hair because it was so thinned out. Fin gave me back all of that, but I've had to wear hats/combover because it does not give back the temples.

Quote Originally Posted by Scientalk56 View Post
    from your non relevant answers to the question, i conclude that there's no such thing as temples hair regrowth was seen in a clinical trial...

thank u..
    The only approved medications are finasteride and minoxidil. You can do research on if these can regrow temple hair or hairlines, or you can ask a dermatologist. My understanding is that they do not. All of the other stuff people are talking about on here is theoretical and almost definitely a number of years off if even feasible at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfin View Post
    Nothing is "perfect", and the "cure" is not gonna happen. best case scenario, in the next 100 yrs they figure out a way to halt hairloss or they come up with a way to do implantation of follicles that might or might not look better than the current crap transplants.
    Ignorance is bliss for many and this is a perfect example of an ignorant post. Nothing is perfect? Hair isn't perfect? I beg to differ. There's a million and one guys out there with perfect hair. I see it on a daily basis. Hair that hasn't receded a bit with a straight hairline. Hair that you can sculpt in any way. Yes my ignorant friend, there is perfect hair and everyone with hairloss is after that.

Next, there will be a cure available. Some think it's sooner and some later. However, stop polluting this thread with your idiotic pessimistic views. Obviously baldness has gotten to you. You sound like a defensive little bitch in all your posts. We just grew a ****ing human lung from stell cells. Go read some real science and stop handing out your misinformed speculation out here like its fact. Go read all of Desmond's threads about the massive amount of research that is ongoing. The cure is around the corner, even if it's 10 -15 years, it's still around the corner. To say it's never coming out and that there is no such thing as perfect is ludicrous.

Nothing is "perfect", and the "cure" is not gonna happen. best case scenario, in the next 100 yrs they figure out a way to halt hairloss or they come up with a way to do implantation of follicles that might or might not look better than the current crap transplants. I can very honestly say that if someone said they could halt my hair loss completely and give me the choice of how to look, I'd say leave the temples how they are. It looks good, manly, mature, handsome. Most men (and i mean almost evrybody) i know have some hair loss. If they aren't losing it, they are going gray. there's nothing wrong with it, and no one except maybe a 15 year old girl thinks anyone looks any less perfect or handsome because of some recession, in fact it looks very age appropriate and appealing to most.

My only point is that needing and wanting everything on your body to be how it was when you were 15 is not only irrational, it's just plain dumb, and it belies a lack of intelligence, maturity, and value for the things in life that really matter. Do you also want a face without any wrinkles whatsoever? or for your beard to never come in fully, because your young smooth face is "perfect"? Who gives a shit, we get old, we change, life goes on. Losing your hair completely in your teens or twenties is not as common, and as such, it must be much much harder and stand out more in a crowd. Even so, the people who treat it like a death sentence have some other psychological issues to deal with, or they are just not very bright or understanding of what real tragedy entails. When I go totally bald, i'll probably just get used to that too, and who knows if i would pay for any kind of cure, forget the temples. Shit would have to be pretty damn natural looking for me to take that step, and i just don't see that kind of magical transformation happening anytime soon.
    You are the new cry-baby here at TBT. If I was moderator I'd give you the teddy bear achievement.

Newsflash people. Do not take this person too seriously.

sdsurfin a) has not properly read any of desmonds updates b) was making comments about pilofocus scars as though there would be multiple scars - clearly sdsurfin has not been properly reading things.

Hair loss is serious. It depresses people. It makes people angry. So on the basis of "life is too short"... please ya'll ignorne sdsurfin or take his / her comments with a grain of salt.

There are many more experianced members here. Desmond. Hell etc...

Stick with the winners folks!!! And chins up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    You are the new cry-baby here at TBT. If I was moderator I'd give you the teddy bear achievement.

Newsflash people. Do not take this person too seriously.

sdsurfin a) has not properly read any of desmonds updates b) was making comments about pilofocus scars as though there would be multiple scars - clearly sdsurfin has not been properly reading things.

Hair loss is serious. It depresses people. It makes people angry. So on the basis of "life is too short"... please ya'll ignorne sdsurfin or take his / her comments with a grain of salt.

There are many more experianced members here. Desmond. Hell etc...

Stick with the winners folks!!! And chins up!!!

a)I never said anything about pilofocus. I think it'll be scarless and give results similar to current transplants, which look like crap and only make people look foolish and insecure unless it's used for mild temporal recession.

b) Also, I read all of Desmond's updates thoroughly. None of what he posted indicates that there is much hope of having a real cure in the next 15 years at least. In 20 I'd say it's very possible, even though it'll cost a fortune. Carlos Wesley just was quoted saying that pilofocus will cost upwards of 20K. Can't even imagine what a personalized stem cell regeneration procedure would cost. Anyway cost is very hard to speculate on and I don't really want to argue about that. Bottom line is it won't be cheap.

c) The reasons why there isn't a cure coming soon are multifaceted and I've already discussed them at length. Basically though, they still have to figure out how to keep inductivity AND figure out if expanding DP cells and retaining inductivity is enough to create the number of follicles needed (anywhere from 2yrs- maybe never, especially if they can't either learn to make DP cells from scratch or better retain inductivity of expanded cells). My best guess is all of this will take at least another 5 years. Concurrently, they have to see if implanting a germ is enough, or if they have to create whole follicles to implant. If a germ is enough (which I doubt it will be, considering this method, albeit not perfected, hasn't produced any good results so far, and scientists seem to think that a lot more inductivity must be retained) then they have to see if it will even keep thriving in the scalp (big if), and they have no idea yet how to make it cosmetic, angled correctly, cycling correctly, colored correctly, attached to glands correctly, or reproducible. (add another 5-forever years for these issues). Then , as Dr. Gardner mentioned, there is no way anything is gonna grow on balding scalp if there is no concurrent therapies. (we have no concurrent therapies at this point). So basically at the very most optimistic, we're probably looking at another fifteen years of research before they come close to tackling these things, never mind giving us a full head. Add another 8 years to who knows how long of clinical trials, and I'll be 50 by that point (32 now) so really, who gives a f. It took 8 years just to go from rogaine liquid to rogaine foam, you really think in ten years all this will be solved, haha ya right.

d) as I've said before, I think the guys here under 20-25 or so may have some good things to look forward to before they are very old. For anyone over 25 and not a millionaire, I doubt the timeline/cost is gonna change anyone's life.

Well sh*t

a)I never said anything about pilofocus. I think it'll be scarless and give results similar to current transplants, which look like crap and only make people look foolish and insecure unless it's used for mild temporal recession.

b) Also, I read all of Desmond's updates thoroughly. None of what he posted indicates that there is much hope of having a real cure in the next 15 years at least. In 20 I'd say it's very possible, even though it'll cost a fortune. Carlos Wesley just was quoted saying that pilofocus will cost upwards of 20K. Can't even imagine what a personalized stem cell regeneration procedure would cost. Anyway cost is very hard to speculate on and I don't really want to argue about that. Bottom line is it won't be cheap.

c) The reasons why there isn't a cure coming soon are multifaceted and I've already discussed them at length. Basically though, they still have to figure out how to keep inductivity AND figure out if expanding DP cells and retaining inductivity is enough to create the number of follicles needed (anywhere from 2yrs- maybe never, especially if they can't either learn to make DP cells from scratch or better retain inductivity of expanded cells). My best guess is all of this will take at least another 5 years. Concurrently, they have to see if implanting a germ is enough, or if they have to create whole follicles to implant. If a germ is enough (which I doubt it will be, considering this method, albeit not perfected, hasn't produced any good results so far, and scientists seem to think that a lot more inductivity must be retained) then they have to see if it will even keep thriving in the scalp (big if), and they have no idea yet how to make it cosmetic, angled correctly, cycling correctly, colored correctly, attached to glands correctly, or reproducible. (add another 5-forever years for these issues). Then , as Dr. Gardner mentioned, there is no way anything is gonna grow on balding scalp if there is no concurrent therapies. (we have no concurrent therapies at this point). So basically at the very most optimistic, we're probably looking at another fifteen years of research before they come close to tackling these things, never mind giving us a full head. Add another 8 years to who knows how long of clinical trials, and I'll be 50 by that point (32 now) so really, who gives a f. It took 8 years just to go from rogaine liquid to rogaine foam, you really think in ten years all this will be solved, haha ya right.

d) as I've said before, I think the guys here under 20-25 or so may have some good things to look forward to before they are very old. For anyone over 25 and not a millionaire, I doubt the timeline/cost is gonna change anyone's life.
    Yeah, but d) is your perspective. Lets say CB is released in the next 5 years, which is a conservative estimate. If it's fin without the side effects all of a sudden transplants become more feasible for pretty much everyone who still has some hair left, NW4-5 and down pretty much. Of course it's a hassle to put **** on every day, you may choose not to, that's your choice. And no, if you go to a good doctor, I don't think a transplant looks bad at all, not sure where you're getting that from. Bottom line is there may be more options even for those guys who are 30 5 or so years from now most likely. I agree with you that the full cure will be anywhere from 10-20 years.

Mayhaps. Who knows if CB will work or what side effects it might have. So far all we know from experimenting with it is that it doesn't work that way, and some people had crazy dreams. These preventative therapies all seem to circle round the drain and not pan out, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there's something coming. All I know is that at 30 my whole family had perfect hair, and by their mid forties their situation was pretty fubar, so 15 years min for a cure is way too long for most of us, especially as most people on here seem to be more bald than I am. I would love to hear Wesley or gardner or any expert chime in here and give an explanation of how long they think these things might take, but it seems that a) nobody in the medical community has the balls to share their projections or b) they know it's gonna take a long ass time, and don't want to disappoint. These vague nods of optimism from desmond are to me wholly empty (although I respect the optimism), I've yet to hear one report of a researcher explaining why exactly they are close to anything cosmetic. Of course they want to hype like their research is promising, but in reality we have no idea how many and what the obstacles are. Why do you think any of these guys are different than Cotsarellis? Everyone wants to talk about a cure, but I don't see any indication that it's close, at least relative to our lifetimes. And then add the infinity of time it takes to test and perfect things, and life just seems to go by way too fast for any of it to really matter. I would love to be proved wrong, and hope that I am. Not here to rag on anyone or dishearten, but they've been saying a cure is coming since my granddaddy was a boy.

sdsurfin,

a) Current transplants don't look like crap. There are tons of results from top class surgeons that look natural for high norwoods, and not just mild temporal recession.
    b) A real cure in 15-20 years isn't too far off, depending if you're waiting for a TRUE cure . For most, we would be satisfied for a one time transplant + daily drug like CB with absolutely no sides like fin. for many, a 'cure' will be achievable in 5-10 years. if yours is a one time injection which prevents balding and regrows back all the hair, it would probably be more like 20-30 years. HIV has been researched for god knows how many decades by only the most driven, intellectual and wealthy researchers for their names to be written down in history in mankind, and still no true cure.
    c) I don't disagree with you
    d) I also don't disagree. If i'm correct and you mean 'life', you most likely mean marriage and to be able to move on to the next stages of our lives as men, as fathers. I'm 21 and I've sported a combover for the last 3 years, shaved my receding sides,, and worn a hat EVERY.DAY.FOR.THE.LAST.THREE.YEARS. I don't go out to meet girls anymore. I'd most likely marry very late in my life.

Mayhaps. Who knows if CB will work or what side effects it might have. So far all we know from experimenting with it is that it doesn't work that way, and some people had crazy dreams. These preventative therapies all seem to circle round the drain and not pan out, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there's something coming. All I know is that at 30 my whole family had perfect hair, and by their mid forties their situation was pretty fubar, so 15 years min for a cure is way too long for most of us, especially as most people on here seem to be more bald than I am. I would love to hear Wesley or gardner or any expert chime in here and give an explanation of how long they think these things might take, but it seems that a) nobody in the medical community has the balls to share their projections or b) they know it's gonna take a long ass time, and don't want to disappoint. These vague nods of optimism from desmond are to me wholly empty (although I respect the optimism), I've yet to hear one report of a researcher explaining why exactly they are close to anything cosmetic. Of course they want to hype like their research is promising, but in reality we have no idea how many and what the obstacles are. Why do you think any of these guys are different than Cotsarellis? Everyone wants to talk about a cure, but I don't see any indication that it's close, at least relative to our lifetimes. And then add the infinity of time it takes to test and perfect things, and life just seems to go by way too fast for any of it to really matter. I would love to be proved wrong, and hope that I am. Not here to rag on anyone or dishearten, but they've been saying a cure is coming since my granddaddy was a boy.

similar to HIV. it's been taught to kids exactly what it is since middle school in hopes a baby genius will come up with a revolutionary idea. i've known how it works since gr3, and so has almost every toddler around the world. yet no cure for decades. the next generation will have something else, just like this generation will have piloscopy. humankind is slow progress