+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cthulhu2 View Post
    OMG, why can't you just search the title of the study on pubmed???
    Because it will allow not just HELL but everyone on here thats reading this thread any easy/quick way to verify the source. It's much easier to copy and paste a link then to have everyone on here to scramble to find an unverified source.

Anyways, I doubt they would release a product that's going to cause cancer. There would be massive law suits instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by cichfollicles View Post
    Because it will allow not just HELL but everyone on here thats reading this thread any easy/quick way to verify the source. It's much easier to copy and paste a link then to have everyone on here to scramble to find an unverified source.

Anyways, I doubt they would release a product that's going to cause cancer. There would be massive law suits instantly.
    No word on follica releasing a product; I don't know where you heard this. They are on hold right now due to a lack of funding. Personally i dont think its very hard to copy and paste a study title to pubmed, ive done it numerous times when others have posted abstracts.

OMG, why can't you just search the title of the study on pubmed???
    Because its YOUR job to backup your claim, not mine, nor anyone elses reading your claim.

I believe injecting growth factors would definitely help with hair growth but that is not the issue. Many of these growth factors and specifically fgf9 which was studied by follica, is heavily involved in the growth of cancers.
    you don't need to inject fgf 9. it only helps with wounding when the cells are in embryonic like condition because of the wound and it tell the cells to become hair follicles. IGF-1, vegf, hgf, kgf and PDGF are some of the ones that needed to be applied. and if they were injected to an EXISTING cancer they will help the cancer to spread and proliferate, but will not cause cancer. besides the injection will have local effects on scalp cells. IGF-1 increases with Human growth hormone increase and athletes have been using HGH illegally for an eternity now. the paper I posted shows which growth factor help maintain anagen and delay catagen with IGF-1 prevent follicle cell death that is caused by DHT. Cotsarelis in a papaer titled "Towards a molecular understanding of hair loss and its treatment" sees growth factors as a great potential in hair loss treatment by delaying catagen and maintin anagen pahse . a qouate from the paper "the goals for treating androgenetic alopecia include prolonging anagen, converting telogen follicles to anagen, reversing miniaturization and possibly generating new follicles." also growth factors have been used in wrinkles treatment for a while now as injections and as topical creams. the chances of growth factors causing cancers or worsen an existing one is slim I guess. it is like smoking, it is been known to cause cancer but you see those who smoke and live healthier and longer than those who don't. it is all in the genes.example, why Caucasians have more risk of skin cancer when they are under the sun ? A skinny person can get diabetes if he is exposed to too much sugar and there are fat people with out diabetes. again , it is all in the genes. Growth factors makes me optimistic about prp but the problem is the their concentration is low I guess and repeated injections are very expensive and prp can cause undesirable swelling if much is injected. DHT binds to your cells and then they express TGF beta -1 that causes the hair follicle cells to undergo programmed death. so I assume injecting TGF beta -1 which is also contained in prp injections will kill your cells. maybe better techniques to isolate the desirable growth factors and inject them or as histogen does by culturing cells and producing them commercially.
    Dr Aaron him self ;when I asked him; said that growth factors will help but they will also have effect on the surrounding cells.Desmond Can enlighten us more on this since all I understand and write here is from reading research papers. it is not my field of study.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    Because its YOUR job to backup your claim, not mine, nor anyone elses reading your claim.
    I deemed it unnecessary to include the reference since I am not claiming anything new. We have knows for decades that growth factors are involved in the incidence of cancers. Here is another example, IGF-1, which also is involved in hairgrowth.

Oncology. 2002;63(4):317-32.
    The role of the IGF system in cancer: from basic to clinical studies and clinical applications.
    Moschos SJ1, Mantzoros CS.
    Author information
    Abstract
    Insulin-like growth factors (IGFs) are important mediators of growth, development, and survival, are synthesized by almost any tissue in the body, and their action is modulated by a complex network of molecules, including binding proteins, proteases and receptors, which all comprise the IGF system. Evidence from in vitro and animal studies suggests that overexpression of IGFs by cancer cells and/or the nearby stroma as well as the type IGF-I receptor by the cancer cells may play a significant role in establishing a transformed phenotype in an increasing number of malignancies. More specifically, IGFs may promote cell cycle progression and inhibition of apoptosis either by directly associating with other growth factors or indirectly by interacting with other molecular systems which have an established role in carcinogenesis and cancer promotion, such as the steroid hormones and integrins. In addition, a growing number of epidemiologic studies suggest that increased serum levels of IGFs and/or altered levels of their binding proteins are associated with increased risk for developing several malignancies. These data indicate that IGF dysregulation should now be considered as an important independent factor for cancer risk, and a potential target for novel antineoplastic therapies and/or preventative strategies in high-risk groups.

I deemed it unnecessary to include the reference since I am not claiming anything new. We have knows for decades that growth factors are involved in the incidence of cancers. Here is another example, IGF-1, which also is involved in hairgrowth.

Oncology. 2002;63(4):317-32.
    The role of the IGF system in cancer: from basic to clinical studies and clinical applications.
    Moschos SJ1, Mantzoros CS.
    Author information
    Abstract
    Insulin-like growth factors (IGFs) are important mediators of growth, development, and survival, are synthesized by almost any tissue in the body, and their action is modulated by a complex network of molecules, including binding proteins, proteases and receptors, which all comprise the IGF system. Evidence from in vitro and animal studies suggests that overexpression of IGFs by cancer cells and/or the nearby stroma as well as the type IGF-I receptor by the cancer cells may play a significant role in establishing a transformed phenotype in an increasing number of malignancies. More specifically, IGFs may promote cell cycle progression and inhibition of apoptosis either by directly associating with other growth factors or indirectly by interacting with other molecular systems which have an established role in carcinogenesis and cancer promotion, such as the steroid hormones and integrins. In addition, a growing number of epidemiologic studies suggest that increased serum levels of IGFs and/or altered levels of their binding proteins are associated with increased risk for developing several malignancies. These data indicate that IGF dysregulation should now be considered as an important independent factor for cancer risk, and a potential target for novel antineoplastic therapies and/or preventative strategies in high-risk groups.
    Igf will help the cancer grow if it the cancer is already there. Your papart says so if you read it. I posted on this thread that athletes inject hgh which raises igf1. You would expect cancer to be very common between body builders.

Quote Originally Posted by hgs1989 View Post
    Igf will help the cancer grow if it the cancer is already there. Your papart says so if you read it. I posted on this thread that athletes inject hgh which raises igf1. You would expect cancer to be very common between body builders.
    In addition, a growing number of epidemiologic studies suggest that increased serum levels of IGFs and/or altered levels of their binding proteins are associated with increased risk for developing several malignancies.

I agree that isolating the growth factors to a specific region (aka the hair follicle) would probably be necessary. I don't know if you are aware of the soy isoflavones study that was done in 2007. Basically the participants had regrowth of hair (not amazing) which the researchers believed was due to increased dermal levels of IGF-1 which was observed. This is interesting since soy/soy isoflavones are believed to be good for our health.

You're doing an incredible disservice to the BTT community and readers of the hair loss community by having a completely one sided view on this WITHOUT posting your sources. That's shameless.

You're doing an incredible disservice to the BTT community and readers of the hair loss community by having a completely one sided view on this WITHOUT posting your sources. That's shameless.
    what a joke......

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24239165

I know a lot of posters don't want to accept this but potential treatments involving growth factors carry a lot of risks. There's no need to get upset at someone for rightly pointing this out.