+ Reply to Thread

Question Is taking fin right after a hair transplant a bad idea, due to shock loss?

I heard that there is 'shock loss' when people start taking fin, but that it eventually makes up for it.

Is it a bad idea to take fin along right after you've had a hair transplant, or could it have a negative effect on the newly implanted hairs?

I don't think so as I had a hair transplant with a AHLA doctor back in April and he gave me a prescription of fin to start taking because I wasn't on it. I imagined this doctor would not have done so if he felt it would affect the outcome.

Some people can shed after starting on fin and this will take several months to fully grow back again. Some people suffer temporary shock loss after a transplant again taking several months to grow back. The newly transplanted hairs will not be affected by the fin but they will shed themselves after 2-4 weeks anyway.

By going on fin straight after your transplant you may risk shedding some of your native hair that may have grown back quicker to give you coverage in the recipient area that is all. The ideal time to get on fin would be several months or more before the transplant. Best to be on it sooner rather than later now though.

Most docs will start their mature male patients on Propecia after the procedure if they have not started it before. They do this if the patient has any potential benefit from using it.

And some docs will want their patients to start finasteride 3-6 months prior to the procedure to minimize shock loss.

But the jury is out on that one mainly because there are no studies that support being on finasteride reduces the level of shock loss.

Shock loss for the most part is related to the level of trauma to the scalp from the procedure itself.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin