+ Reply to Thread

Default 8 months 1mg finasteride - is this a second shed? (pic inside)

I've become increasingly worried recently that propecia may not be working and that i'm now starting to lose hairs that were previously thick and less affected by mpb.

Should I be getting a shed this late or is the medication not working? I did get some shedding when I first started

I ran a couple of fingers and lightly pinched my hair in between the sides and top of the scalp near the bridge and after a couple of runs all of these hairs came out and its beginning to look thin whereas a year ago it was pretty solid:

I've been on propecia for 1 year now but only been doing the full pill since october (8 months full pill). Was previously doing 1/4 and 1/2 pill. Thanks

Hi,

Im in a similar situation as you. Im at around month 7 and a few weeks a go wasn't sure if Propecia was working until lots of hairs started coming out in the shower and falling out easily, the shed had arrived.

I was worried and did some research online and the general consensus i found was that around month 6-9 a lot of people went through sheds for a sustained period of time.

Im sticking through it as a lot of people said 'it gets worse before it get's better and around month 9/10 is halted.

Quote Originally Posted by kadlec View Post
    Hi,

Im in a similar situation as you. Im at around month 7 and a few weeks a go wasn't sure if Propecia was working until lots of hairs started coming out in the shower and falling out easily, the shed had arrived.

I was worried and did some research online and the general consensus i found was that around month 6-9 a lot of people went through sheds for a sustained period of time.

Im sticking through it as a lot of people said 'it gets worse before it get's better and around month 9/10 is halted.

Thanks for your response. My only concern is that i'm technically beyond 12 months now since I started out the 1/4 pill and have only been on the full tablet for 8. Do you think this may have made a difference? Or should I just count usage from the time I started the 1mg pill.

My hair got AWFUL around months 7-10. Just awful. Way below baseline. It has now fully recovered (month 12.5) however I started minoxidil around month 9 because I was so depressed at how thin my hair randomly got. So I can't be sure if it recovered on its own or if it was the minoxidil.

Man this is completely normal and expected. Your hair cycles are synchronizing and this means it will take multiple cycles before your MPB reaches a steady state. Ie when you started you could have had some completely healthy hairs, some pretty miniaturized hairs, some in anagen phase, some telogen etc etc...overtime (so long as the drug is working) things will stabilize. 1-2 Years for stabilization is normal brother.

First year I was taking finasteride (1mg from day one), I shed LOADS from months 9 to 10, came out of nowhere. Loads of hair in the sink every day. Stopped not longer after that though. Guess it's just a stage we all have to endure.

Around months 7-8, my hair went back close to baseline. It has since grown back. Hang in there.

Doctor Representative

same has happened to me. overall though, the quality of my hair is gotten better.
    AfterHair is a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi

AfterHair's regimen includes:
    HT #1 2710 grafts by Dr Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA in 2012
    Rogaine foam 2xdaily, since 2012
    Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012