+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default what should i do now?

hey guys i'm pretty confident I am going bald, probably a norwood 3 ( albeit my hair is fairly thick on top at the moment)
    I just ordered finasteride but the one thing that is putting me off is the 'shed' I am only 23 years old and the thought of my hair to rapidly thin is a major turn off
    would you say it is worth it? I am really stumped at what to do and I would also like to add I dont know where my hair loss will lead to as no one in my family has gone bald- mothers grandfather NW2 at most and my father who is 55 now is an NW3, all uncles etc between NW1-NW2; the only thing I have noticed is that I am very hairy, hairier than most relatives and I understand that this is linked to high DHT which is linked to hair loss and therefore this might be the cause, I really wish I had some sort of older person to look at to see where my hair loss is going but as I don't I am really stumped, you guys know what you're talking about so any sort of advice would be greatly appreciated, I will attach a picture. Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6008.jpg

Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	33151   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6005.jpg

Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	33152  

Bump anyone,,

Quote Originally Posted by joel203 View Post
    hey guys i'm pretty confident I am going bald, probably a norwood 3 ( albeit my hair is fairly thick on top at the moment)
    I just ordered finasteride but the one thing that is putting me off is the 'shed' I am only 23 years old and the thought of my hair to rapidly thin is a major turn off
    would you say it is worth it? I am really stumped at what to do and I would also like to add I dont know where my hair loss will lead to as no one in my family has gone bald- mothers grandfather NW2 at most and my father who is 55 now is an NW3, all uncles etc between NW1-NW2; the only thing I have noticed is that I am very hairy, hairier than most relatives and I understand that this is linked to high DHT which is linked to hair loss and therefore this might be the cause, I really wish I had some sort of older person to look at to see where my hair loss is going but as I don't I am really stumped, you guys know what you're talking about so any sort of advice would be greatly appreciated, I will attach a picture. Thank you
    I started noticing my hairline beginning to climb when I was about your age. The best thing you can do in my opinion is to get a professional diagnosis. If you honestly feel like your hairline is changing, a doctor will write you a prescription for finasteride.

I started fin when I was 22. I am 36 now, and my hairline has not changed a whole lot, and I still have no thinning. If your hair loss is not super aggressive, you should be able to maintain well into your thirties as I have. The one thing I regret is not getting my hormones tested before getting on the medication. You want to get a baseline level established for your T & DHT at the very least, in case you run into any issues down the road. This will help in monitoring and diagnosing any hormonal changes later on.

I also get my liver function checked at least once a year, just to be safe. There are mixed opinions about fin on the net, but if you can get past the first few months, you probably will respond well, and can save a lot of hair for a long time. Or you can sit on the fence until you drive yourself nuts with all the anecdotal horror stories. The bottom line is , you just have to take that leap of faith to find out if it will work for you.

Spend some dough on really good shampoo too, like Regenepure.
    Hope you find a regimen that works for you!
    Good luck

To be honest the only thing that scared me on finasteride is the shedding, I know it's supposed to come back but I don't want my hair to thin at all at this moment in time. Do you think if left untreated I will lose a lot of hair, and what norwood scale would u say I am, I can maybe cover it if I grow it long but when I pull it back it's very deep temple recession with the right deeper than the left
    Thanks

You have so much hair. No visible hair loss. Even if you suffered a massive shed, it would still look like you had a full head of hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    You have so much hair. No visible hair loss. Even if you suffered a massive shed, it would still look like you had a full head of hair.
    I have thick hair naturally but I am receeding rapidly as u can tell from the first photo, when I pull it back u can see a lot of light hairs where it's minituarized and my forehead has got a lot bigger with more loss on the right temple than left, I'm just worried if this is happening at 23 what would happen in the future is my issue

Quote Originally Posted by joel203 View Post
    I have thick hair naturally but I am receeding rapidly as u can tell from the first photo, when I pull it back u can see a lot of light hairs where it's minituarized and my forehead has got a lot bigger with more loss on the right temple than left, I'm just worried if this is happening at 23 what would happen in the future is my issue
    I never had a problem with shedding when I started Fin. I don't remember anyone really raising that as a major concern at the time. If you want to start Fin, I wouldn't let the shedding thing stop you. You might shed a little bit when the hormonal change starts kicking in, but I would be seriously surprised if it was anything noticeable. Usually a little bit of shedding just indicates that the medicine is working. A major shed that didn't grow back would be unusual I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlton View Post
    I never had a problem with shedding when I started Fin. I don't remember anyone really raising that as a major concern at the time. If you want to start Fin, I wouldn't let the shedding thing stop you. You might shed a little bit when the hormonal change starts kicking in, but I would be seriously surprised if it was anything noticeable. Usually a little bit of shedding just indicates that the medicine is working. A major shed that didn't grow back would be unusual I think.
    I see, so do you think I should get on propecia?

can anyone tell me how advanced is my balding too please??

hair pushed back
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5997.jpg

Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	33206