+ Reply to Thread

playsound 23 and balding rapidly

First off, I'd like to say hello. I'm currently 23 and I started balding around 18. I've always worn a hat everywhere I went to hide it, I even tried going the shaving it all off route, but didn't like it. I want to do something about this, I know it's horribly unattractive and a pain to style and I just can't stand looking at it in the mirror anymore. I'm not expecting a 100% full head of hair with a "normal" hairline, I'd be happy with fixing just what I have to work with.
    I've been looking around and as best as I Can come up with, propecia(sp?), provillus, and rogaine seem to be the best options.. any advice is welcome.

Here's what I'm working with..

This picture is about 8 months ago:

and this one is about 2 months old:

Thanks,
    Andy

Propecia is what most doctors recommend to stop hair loss and some say to use both Rogaine and Propecia. Provillus is said to be a scam product so stay away from that. It looks like you've lost a lot of hair so hair transplantation might be an option for you also but make sure you see an IAHRS doctor to get checked out.

Doctor Representative Limmer HTC's Avatar

Andy:
    Based upon the photos and information provided, I would encourage you to be aggressive with medical management and hold off on considering a transplant until after you have a chance to evaluate your response. Propecia and Rogaine are the corner stones of your treatment plan. I also tend to encourage a dandruff shampoo (Nizoral or Head and Shoulders) along with 2-3mg of Biotin per day.
    It will take a few months to start seeing a response and 9-12 months to evaluate overall effectiveness. A good way to monitor your response is taking photos every 3 months.
    Brad Limmer, MD/jac
    Tracy Mills
    HT Coordinator
    Limmer HTC

www.limmerhtc.com
    limmerhtc@yahoo.com

playsound See Your Doctor and Start Meds

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    First off, I'd like to say hello. I'm currently 23 and I started balding around 18. I've always worn a hat everywhere I went to hide it, I even tried going the shaving it all off route, but didn't like it. I want to do something about this, I know it's horribly unattractive and a pain to style and I just can't stand looking at it in the mirror anymore. I'm not expecting a 100% full head of hair with a "normal" hairline, I'd be happy with fixing just what I have to work with.
    I've been looking around and as best as I Can come up with, propecia(sp?), provillus, and rogaine seem to be the best options.. any advice is welcome.

Here's what I'm working with..

This picture is about 8 months ago:

and this one is about 2 months old:

Thanks,
    Andy
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely see a doctor and go from there. Unfortunately, hair transplants are out of the question as I just can't afford it.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    Propecia is what most doctors recommend to stop hair loss and some say to use both Rogaine and Propecia. Provillus is said to be a scam product so stay away from that. It looks like you've lost a lot of hair so hair transplantation might be an option for you also but make sure you see an IAHRS doctor to get checked out.
    Author has a great results. Propecia has shown the most benefit in clinical studies + real world practice in the crown area. Its benefits are less pronounced as it nears the hairline. This has been my experience. Hair loss stopped within 6 months, significant re-growth @ 9 months. Re-growth continued thru 18 months, then has pretty much slowed down / stopped. I have 3 close friends who also take it, all have had excellent. results. For all who take Propecia, wait a full year before making a decision to discontinue. Easy, one tab in the AM. That's it.