+ Reply to Thread

Default FUE HT question - shaving down?

I'll be 25 next year which means i'll be just above the minimum age considered by most good surgeons to perform a HT. I'm hesitant as I feel i'll probably shoot towards NW 6 as I get older despite using propecia (i'll take it as long as I have to). Propecia has at least slowed down the loss a lot for me.

If I get a FUE HT and my hair gradually continues to fall over the years (even while using propecia) will I be able to just shave to a 0/1/down to skin all over later on? Would it be possible to perform the FUE in such a fashion that it would create a hairline which would stay as the rest leaves, which i can then shave down? I *tend* to heal quite well with large cuts and I have a tanned complexion, not sure if that helps me with the white "dots" that some people get.

It's frustrating because I want to have decent hair until at least my mid 30's and an FUE with my current situation will allow for that. Not bothered about shaving all the way down by 40 though.

For pics of my loss and progress with medication, see here:

https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...month-progress

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 22able View Post
    I'll be 25 next year which means i'll be just above the minimum age considered by most good surgeons to perform a HT. I'm hesitant as I feel i'll probably shoot towards NW 6 as I get older despite using propecia (i'll take it as long as I have to). Propecia has at least slowed down the loss a lot for me.

If I get a FUE HT and my hair gradually continues to fall over the years (even while using propecia) will I be able to just shave to a 0/1/down to skin all over later on? Would it be possible to perform the FUE in such a fashion that it would create a hairline which would stay as the rest leaves, which i can then shave down? I *tend* to heal quite well with large cuts and I have a tanned complexion, not sure if that helps me with the white "dots" that some people get.

It's frustrating because I want to have decent hair until at least my mid 30's and an FUE with my current situation will allow for that. Not bothered about shaving all the way down by 40 though.

For pics of my loss and progress with medication, see here:

https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...month-progress
    I looked at your photos and if they are any indication of style, you prefer your hair long. You should try shaving your head to see if that style suits you. Take it from me, things don't change much as you get older. If you don't like short hair when you're 24, you won't like yourself with a short haircut when you're 65. No kidding! You should settle on a hairstyle first and then plan for FUE.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - Cole Hair Transplant 1070 Powers Place Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 07:26 PM.

Yes, I like my hair longer when I can but not fussed with it short - willing to compromise as long as it isn't a big shiny cranium. I only wear it slightly longer a this point to conceal the loss. If you can answer me other questions that would be great.