+ Reply to Thread

Question Hairline Transplants in Early-Stage Male Pattern Alopecia: Ill-advised or Viable?

I've seen a number of men that have had hair transplants to the hairlines to combat the recession from MPB.

My question is, in the case of men who have receding hairlines (in the early stages of Male Pattern Baldness, rather than just a 'maturing hairline') are the medical treatments of Propecia, Minoxidil, Anti-androgens etc effective enough to ensure that, if the patient sticks to a regime of medical treatments, the hair will not continue to recede behind this transplant, leaving an island of transplanted hair?

Would really appreciate any personal and/or professional opinions.

Red.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeadRed View Post
    I've seen a number of men that have had hair transplants to the hairlines to combat the recession from MPB.

My question is, in the case of men who have receding hairlines (in the early stages of Male Pattern Baldness, rather than just a 'maturing hairline') are the medical treatments of Propecia, Minoxidil, Anti-androgens etc effective enough to ensure that, if the patient sticks to a regime of medical treatments, the hair will not continue to recede behind this transplant, leaving an island of transplanted hair?

Would really appreciate any personal and/or professional opinions.

Red.
    Excellent question. Avoid any doctor offering a low, dense packed "teenage" hairline. Singles work best in areas where the possibility of thinning exists down the road to the point where no hair at all remains. Top docs know how to place grafts so the natural appearance of a result has longevity.

Dr. Bernstein has some encouraging before and after photos of patients using finasteride. Results vary but finasteride or dutasteride + minoxidil contribute to a long lasting hair transplant result.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - Cole Hair Transplant - Atlanta, Georgia - Phone 678-566-1011
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 07:25 PM.

Doctor Representative

great question, and great response by 35yrsafter.

I actually wanted a lower hairline (I was a NW5-6) but my HT surgeon refused to give me a teenager's hairline. He said the right thing to go for is a mature hairline. I conceded, with the thought that later I might go for a lower hairline. After everything settled in, and my hair (mature hairline) grew out, I started getting used to my new hairline in photos, and I got a little more educated, I realized that a mature hairline was absolutely the right decision.

It's easy to get greedy, especially when you start seeing initial results.. but you gotta remember you only have a limited number of donors to work with and you do not want to waste them by creating too low a hairline when there is a good chance that your hair will keep receding.

I think its a little tougher for someone who already has a low hairline to accept.. I think I have seen some people who have "teenager" hairlines and have gotten procedures done to keep them low. (I live near Hollywood and I think there are alot of people in the entertainment industry who have procedures done to make their hairlines stronger).

One question I do have.. is that for the people who do have procedures to strengthen their "teenage hairline", and let's say, unfortunately their hair continues to recede.. can they later rearrange their hairline using FUE to re-design a "mature hairline"?
    Seems like alot of work, and is essentially fixing a bad decision from earlier on, but can it be done in a scarless manner (so that the earlier low hairline grafts are do not leave any FUE scars)?
    AfterHair is a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi

AfterHair's regimen includes:
    HT #1 2710 grafts by Dr Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA in 2012
    Rogaine foam 2xdaily, since 2012
    Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AfterHair View Post
    One question I do have.. is that for the people who do have procedures to strengthen their "teenage hairline", and let's say, unfortunately their hair continues to recede.. can they later rearrange their hairline using FUE to re-design a "mature hairline"?
    Seems like alot of work, and is essentially fixing a bad decision from earlier on, but can it be done in a scarless manner (so that the earlier low hairline grafts are do not leave any FUE scars)?
    Some patients attempt to "kill" the hair with laser treatments. One patient comes to mind that attempted laser hair removal without success and had to have the grafts surgically removed. At four months post-op, the areas where the grafts were removed are barely visible. Whenever the skin is cut, there will be scars. The goal is perform the surgery in a way that minimizes scarring. Low hairlines can be "adjusted" but this type of repair surgery requires much more work than performing a hair restoration surgery correctly from the get go.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 07:25 PM.

i think teenage hairline is not necessary for middle age and NW 5 and more.because minoxil and finasteride can not full behind the new hair line.so
    instead of teenage hairline we can doit a little more front of before.