Threaded View

Default 2.5 Months Finasteride, still Miniaturizing

Hey all, I've been reading these forums for a while now (mostly via Google), but never signed up until now.

I first noticed my hair loss about a year and a half ago at 26; I'm 27 now, and things have gotten much, much worse, from where I couldn't be sure if I was losing hair, to where it's all I can do to hide my hair loss.

I'm a diffuse thinner with a receding hairline and a thinning crown now, too.

I tried Rogaine for 8 months, but all it did was make me shed an unbelievable amount of hair which never seemed to return. Within two weeks, my hairline went from strong, NW 1 (mature hairline, but looked great), to totally broken up and diffusely thinned. It never came back.

Anyway, I've been on finasteride now for 2.5 months (and 1% Nizoral for perhaps four months), and my hair is still thinning and receding. While I normally wouldn't be *too* worried about this, it's doing it at the same rate (extremely rapid) as before, and I can see differences week to week. Sometimes even day to day.

At first I thought it was working and was thrilled, because it stopped my shedding instantly. I went from shedding 40 hairs in the shower to, on the first day, 8. Then maybe 10-12 the following weeks. By the second month though, I was shedding more again (maybe 30, less than before but still shedding).. and then, to my horror, I realized:

The hair is still miniaturizing.

The 2.5 or so months I've been on fin should equal about an inch of hair growth; and the last inch of hair that's been falling out is thinner than ever, sometimes dramatically so.

Has this happened to anyone who has later had stabilization/regrowth? I would have thought that it might have caused a shed/TE, but stopped the miniaturization of the follicle immediately.

Am I completely screwed?

Again: Has ANYONE continued to miniaturize for a few months and *THEN* reversed or halted? I know many continue to shed/thin, but this seems like the drug is have zero effect even though my DHT levels should be ~33% of what they were before.

I know "2.5 months is far too early to tell," but I would have thought the follicles should have stabilized, even if I was shedding a lot.

Thanks for any helpful replies.

Edit: I suppose I should mention I don't really have any sides. My libido might be a bit higher if anything, albeit inconsistently; semen seems a bit watered down, but honestly who cares. Other than that, nothing.