+ Reply to Thread

Default Thinking off dropping propecia for good (Gynecomastia)

So, I made a post a couple weeks back but basically here's the problem.

1) I had gynecomastia from age 12-18, had it surgically removed, very happy with results.

2)At age 24 now it has become clear to me after getting on and off propecia twice now, as soon as I start , my breats/nipples start bloating up/becoming puffy/fat (similar to what I had originally, but not as severe).

So there is definately a correlation, I'm now on a 0.25mg every 3 days and it still seems to effect me in this manner.

I am now stopping propecia once again since the problem reversed last time in about 1-2 weeks time, and I'm scared of risking having to get another surgery later on.

I'm just about to give up on this drug for good, but I'm wondering if I should risk staying on propecia and see if it regresses..

I would think it was very unlikely to happen since it has to be the estrogen in my body rising, due to the finasteride. I've never been on propecia for more than a month though so....

So damn frustrating, but it was worth a shot I guess ... Any advice/feedback/suggestions would be very appreciated

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swan View Post
    So, I made a post a couple weeks back but basically here's the problem.

1) I had gynecomastia from age 12-18, had it surgically removed, very happy with results.

2)At age 24 now it has become clear to me after getting on and off propecia twice now, as soon as I start , my breats/nipples start bloating up/becoming puffy/fat (similar to what I had originally, but not as severe).

So there is definately a correlation, I'm now on a 0.25mg every 3 days and it still seems to effect me in this manner.

I am now stopping propecia once again since the problem reversed last time in about 1-2 weeks time, and I'm scared of risking having to get another surgery later on.

I'm just about to give up on this drug for good, but I'm wondering if I should risk staying on propecia and see if it regresses..

I would think it was very unlikely to happen since it has to be the estrogen in my body rising, due to the finasteride. I've never been on propecia for more than a month though so....

So damn frustrating, but it was worth a shot I guess ... Any advice/feedback/suggestions would be very appreciated
    Dr. Cole mentioned to me that although Avodart is a much more powerful medication, some guys who get sides from finasteride, don't get sides from dutasteride (Avodart) and visa versa. Most of the guys taking Avodart I have run into only take a fraction of the recommended Avodart dose.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck