Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Walker3
    • Jun 2014

Scaling back on dutasteride to 3x/wk

I've been on avodart for 2 1/2 years with some success at .5 mg/day and every other day. For the past five weeks, I've tried every third day (3x/week) and I'm noticing some loss I didn't when I went from every day to every other. Not extreme but noticeable to me.

If you take .5mg three times a week, what does that translate to in milligrams at a steady state?

I just read that M, W, F is advisable over every third day if taking it three times a week. Anyone know why this is true? Or disagree?

Does it make sense that I'm noticing some loss at the official half-life for dutasteride since I scaled back five weeks ago?
  • Dan26
    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Walker3
    I've been on avodart for 2 1/2 years with some success at .5 mg/day and every other day. For the past five weeks, I've tried every third day (3x/week) and I'm noticing some loss I didn't when I went from every day to every other. Not extreme but noticeable to me.

If you take .5mg three times a week, what does that translate to in milligrams at a steady state?

I just read that M, W, F is advisable over every third day if taking it three times a week. Anyone know why this is true? Or disagree?

Does it make sense that I'm noticing some loss at the official half-life for dutasteride since I scaled back five weeks ago?
    with dut just divide the amount you take by a span in days...for example if you take 0.5mg every 5 days, it is hte exact same as taking .1mg every day...therefore MWF will be better than every third day

Comment

• Walker3
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Dan26
      with dut just divide the amount you take by a span in days...for example if you take 0.5mg every 5 days, it is hte exact same as taking .1mg every day...therefore MWF will be better than every third day
      Thanks Dan. So can you tell me if this is accurate: taking .5mg MWF would be the same as taking .25mg Monday - Friday. And about .17mg Friday - Monday. If I average that out, would it bascially be .21mg per day at a steady state?

Over a period of months, would it all balance out whether I took a pill MWF or every third day? Or would there in fact always be less in my blood stream if I took it every third day?

Comment

• TheSuburbs
        • Jun 2012

Sorry to hijack your thread but I am considering going on to Dutas but i'm unsure how to take it, do I take it every day or ? any advice will be appreciated.

Comment

• Walker3
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by TheSuburbs
          Sorry to hijack your thread but I am considering going on to Dutas but i'm unsure how to take it, do I take it every day or ? any advice will be appreciated.
          I would think about finasteride first if you haven't already. I was a NW 2-3 and used that at 1.25mg for 8-9 years, and was pretty happy with it before I switched to the big guns. When I did switch to dut, I took .5mg every day for about a year and switched to every other day without noticing a real difference in hair coverage/loss. Honestly, I think I could have gone to every other day after 5 months because by then the value of daily dose vs. every other day equal out.

I know some guys load up when they start taking it, up to 2.5mg and then scale back. Taking higher doses over time may have a great result but the long term risks and degree of immediate side effects would scare me. No matter how you take it, expect a serious shed around the two month mark. It's a bummer but it's normal.

Comment

• TheSuburbs
            • Jun 2012

Thanks for the reply, I have been on fin for about 18 months and I don't seem to be getting any where with it.

Comment

• rdawg
              • Jun 2012

I'd recommend doing FIN daily or every other day and then adding DUT 1-2 times a week, there's been a couple studies that have said this improves the hair for hairloss sufferers.

Just gotta convince my doc to give it to me

Comment

• TheSuburbs
                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by rdawg
                I'd recommend doing FIN daily or every other day and then adding DUT 1-2 times a week, there's been a couple studies that have said this improves the hair for hairloss sufferers.

Just gotta convince my doc to give it to me
                Why not get it on line?

Comment

Working...