+ Reply to Thread

Default Considering FUE after 12+ years on FIN

Hi all,
    I was hoping to get some input from anyone who has been on Fin long term, who has maintained fairly well, but has since had a successful HT.
    I'm 36 now, and Fin has been a lifesaver for me so far, but I've never been crazy about my hairline since the loss that occurred in my twenties. I'm considering a 1200 graft FUE on my hairline.
    I'm wondering if the finasteride will still be an effective buffer against shock loss, and future loss, considering the length of time I've been on it. It seems to be maintaining a very slow pace of recession, but I would like to maybe get back some of what I lost if possible. I'd like to hear from anyone who can chime in on this type of situation.

What is the consensus on HT after long term use of finasteride?

Also, has anyone had bad shock loss from an HT after a significant amount of time on finasteride?

Thanks

I hope a more knowledgeable member can correct or confirm my assumptions, but from what I understand shock loss isn't permanent loss, its a telogen event caused by the trauma of the transplant. Unless the follicle is transected (ie damaged during the surgery) it will grow back. The transplanted hair itself usually falls out from shock loss immediately following surgery. It may take as long as a year for all of the follicles to reenter the anagen phase, that includes the transplanted hairs, native hair in the recipient zone and native hair in the donor zone.