+ Reply to Thread

Default 17 and need help/advice (please read

Ive always had thin hair with a semi large forehead and until recent times its never concerned me. Just lately a few people have pointed out i have extremely thin hair and even been referred to as bald (exaggeration). After hearing this I've been more and more self conscious to the point where my hair and and hair that i find on the ground bothers me extremely. Its really starting to worry me to the point where i feel as if i need to take action. My mum is extremely non understanding about the topic due to my age and shrugs it off almost always.
    I had a doctors appointment recently and almost knew more than he did about possible treatments and causes. He seemed to think that i was early hairless (although he didn't know heaps on the subject. My hair is a lot thinner on the hairline and top of my head leading to the crown than it is on the sides and back of the head. I have a distinct m shape which worries me as well.
    I Have around 2-6 hairs on my pillow in the morning
    Always finding the odd hair either on my desk at school as well as at home
    Always finding hair on the bathroom floor when i towel dry my hair (not excess but the few hair)

My first question is should i be worried with my hair/hairline?
    Theres no way i could of been born with a distinct m shape hairline?

do you guys think I'm at the early stages of hairloss
    My hair usually has the thin look and the lighting of the photos adds some thickness but surely i wasn't born with that hairline, is there any way of regaining some of the m shapes in?
    And what treatments should i go for (fin, minox and nizarol) with zinc tablets to combat possible side effects
    yes i know the risk of fin but am willing to take until i experience them.
    i don't want to hear anyone say you shouldn't be worried about the thought of hairloss because at my age appearance is a lot, yes we live in an extremely shallow world and i wish i this did not affect me at all
    any comments are good and i appreciate it
    cheers everyone
    ps photos aren't the best
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140610_062819.jpg

Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	26529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140610_062913.jpg

Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	26530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140610_063022.jpg

Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	26531   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140610_063104.jpg

Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	26532   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140610_063148-2.jpg

Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	26533  

Yes brother if I was in your position I would go with the big 3 ASAP!

Head to your dermatologist/doctor and have a talk with them (although they will be clueless about hairloss most likely)

I have a very similar hairline and have had such since about your age, maybe a tad older. I'm now 32 and my hairline has held more or less steady throughout the years. I too have thin hair and am conscious of it (and yes, it's thinner on the top of my head than it is on sides). From your pictures, you don't seem (to me) to be suffering from any major hair loss issues. I currently use Nioxin System 2 shampoo and conditioner, and have done so for years; it definitely helps with thinness. I also take a biotin supplement along with horsetail. As far as your hair falling out, everyone has a different 'daily shed' (if you're within the 50-100 range, then I wouldn't worry too much on that front). You also have long hair so you'll certainly notice it more than someone with short hair, like myself. I grew my hair out a few years back and thought I was going to be bald within months before I realized that I was simply noticing my normal daily shed more than I did when it was short. You're obviously conscious of hair loss as a potential issue at a young age, so you can take some preventative measures (shampoo, supplements, etc.) and track your progress before seeking more intense treatments. Keep an eye on your development and don't let others' remarks determine your course of action. Hope this helps.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by readingbooksfeedingchooks View Post
    i don't want to hear anyone say you shouldn't be worried about the thought of hairloss because at my age appearance is a lot, yes we live in an extremely shallow world and i wish i this did not affect me at all
    any comments are good and i appreciate it
    cheers everyone
    ps photos aren't the best
    Working at Dr. Cole's office, I occasionally meet young men in the early stages of MPB not aware of any bald relatives. That said, it's more the norm to take after your mother's father, her brothers or your father regarding hair characteristics. Generally speaking, the younger you begin to notice hair loss, the more severe it will become when you are 30 or 40 years old. There are exceptions. For instance, my brother in law receded severely in his teens and twenties. His hair loss went to a point and stopped. He has hair in his old age in front and no bald spot in the back.

If you have severe hair loss in your family and really hate the idea of losing hair, you should consider Rogaine and Propecia (finasteride).

Dr. Bernstein has some encouraging before and after photos of Propecia users on his Website.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post

If you have severe hair loss in your family and really hate the idea of losing hair, you should consider Rogaine and Propecia (finasteride).

Dr. Bernstein has some encouraging before and after photos of Propecia users on his Website.
    Regarding finasteride, i'm not sure altering one's delicate hormonal balance at an adolescent developmental stage is such a wise choice.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JSD View Post
    Regarding finasteride, i'm not sure altering one's delicate hormonal balance at an adolescent developmental stage is such a wise choice.
    I have never used Propecia and I'm not sure I would have if it were available when I was in my teens/early twenties. I often speak with young men who have allowed their hair loss to literally destroy their quality of life. Their hair loss becomes an obsession. Other men don't particularly like the idea of baldness but move on with their lives, become successful and have a generally happy life.

Working at Dr. Cole's office, I ask most patients if they use Rogaine, Propecia or Avodart. The worst I have heard regarding Avodart/Propecia use relates to sexual side effects. Regardless of age, some men want to delay hair loss as long as possible with the most effective treatments available in hopes of more effective side-free treatments down the road. I believe we should all have the freedom to research and make our own choices. It's a personal matter related to how badly you want to keep your hair. You get some sides with Propecia, you cut back on the dose.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

I agree with your statements. I was simply offering a word of caution before turning to a hormone-altering chemical at such a young age (which admittedly has worked wonders for many).

cheers heaps both for the advice, I'm in the end stages of puberty, (facial hair, body hair everywhere, deep voice with no blowouts,
    do you guys think that starting the big three would be a concern, if i realised any sides of propecia i would immediately stop and stay on minos and niz. i understand how fin blocks dht levels and done a plentiful amount of research on it and found not a lot, if my dht levels were to be blocked at tho age could this alter anything in my body or appearance or stop me developing? what could happen.
    I'm past growing and all that too,
    cheers

Speak to your doctor. The best advice I can give you is not take advice from anyone on the internet regarding prescription medications (other than someone telling you to speak to your doctor of course . I only say this because I know how easy it is to get fin online without a prescription. If you can, speak to an endocrinologist as you're altering your endocrine system when taking fin. Ultimately, the decision is yours to make so don't let anyone else convince you one way or another. Best of luck.